British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   UK to Aus Electrical Maintenace Tech - Help please (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/uk-aus-electrical-maintenace-tech-help-please-930298/)

Jonny0126 Jan 10th 2020 9:08 pm

UK to Aus Electrical Maintenace Tech - Help please

Hello all and happy new year,

I am looking for some advice on hopefully migration from the UK to Australia.

About me
Currently working as an electrical engineer for the past 18 months but have previously working as a maintenance technician/electrical supervisor/team leader with 10 years experience in the industry.

I have a HNC and NVQ 3 in electrical/electronic engineering and 17th edition wiring regs. 4 year indentured apprenticeship with an advance modern apprenticeship certificate.

I have been looking at the skilled migration route with either a skilled independent 189, skilled nominated 190 or the 482 TSS medium term stream. I have 75 points but have been told that this is low and probably won’t get an offer after submitting my EOI is this the case please?

From all the threads I have read I cannot go to Australia as an electrical engineer without a degree but there is an electrical engineering draftsperson job on the MTLSSL but not sure if I need a degree for this.

Electrical engineering technician 312312 is also on the MTLSSL which is assessed by TRA. I have done some more searching need to do the migration skills assessment program Which compares my current qualifications/skills to the Australian standard for my role. I have read that this doesn’t turn my qualifications into Australian equivalents so effectively I would imagine that wouldn’t make me employable in Oz. Would this be the best route to go down? What are the chances of success and how would I turn my qualifications into Oz equivalents?

I also have domestic electrical experience, an have been told that this would be the best route to go down. I prefer the industrial element but if needs must...

Please can someone kindly give me some advice. Been reading thread after thread for the last month or so

thank you 😊

verystormy Jan 12th 2020 5:47 am

Re: UK to Aus Electrical Maintenace Tech - Help please

I would run your case past a good registered migration agent to see what the best stratergy would be.

old.sparkles Jan 16th 2020 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by Jonny0126 (Post 12788157)
Hello all and happy new year,

I am looking for some advice on hopefully migration from the UK to Australia.

About me
Currently working as an electrical engineer for the past 18 months but have previously working as a maintenance technician/electrical supervisor/team leader with 10 years experience in the industry.

I have a HNC and NVQ 3 in electrical/electronic engineering and 17th edition wiring regs. 4 year indentured apprenticeship with an advance modern apprenticeship certificate.

I have been looking at the skilled migration route with either a skilled independent 189, skilled nominated 190 or the 482 TSS medium term stream. I have 75 points but have been told that this is low and probably won’t get an offer after submitting my EOI is this the case please?

From all the threads I have read I cannot go to Australia as an electrical engineer without a degree but there is an electrical engineering draftsperson job on the MTLSSL but not sure if I need a degree for this.

Electrical engineering technician 312312 is also on the MTLSSL which is assessed by TRA. I have done some more searching need to do the migration skills assessment program Which compares my current qualifications/skills to the Australian standard for my role. I have read that this doesn’t turn my qualifications into Australian equivalents so effectively I would imagine that wouldn’t make me employable in Oz. Would this be the best route to go down? What are the chances of success and how would I turn my qualifications into Oz equivalents?

I also have domestic electrical experience, an have been told that this would be the best route to go down. I prefer the industrial element but if needs must...

Please can someone kindly give me some advice. Been reading thread after thread for the last month or so

thank you 😊

I have a similar background and went the electrician route, with state sponsorship to meet points requirement.

You don't have to be a house basher to pass the assessment :)

Sharkmilk Feb 3rd 2020 8:09 am

Hello bud.

I am almost done witht he subclass 190, Im just waiting for process im 3 months in after passing the english tests / assesment / medical. I have a sparky maintenance background and Im going as a general spark.
I got 65 points, passed the EOI for NSW. Just jump for the stars my mate and if it doesnt work out, jump again :) dont settle for the best, you're here once in life.