Wikiposts

Ugly fences

Old Mar 25th 2004, 9:47 am
(Jon) returning to NZ 04

jandjuk is an unknown quantity at this point

yes it so much depends on what you're used to and what your culture teaches you is desirable or fashionable.

personally, the endless bricks and identical terraced housing in britain doesn't do much for me. but for others it's neat and tidy, using quality materials.

Originally posted by Sazzle
When I was first in the UK a colleague pointed out that NZ houses were "wooden shacks", a bit like one or two posters here have pointed out.

I suggested that NZers would regard many English houses as brick dunnies.

I think the expression is that its a different country with different ideas, materials etc..
which is one of the reasons yopure all moving there?
Old Mar 25th 2004, 10:06 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by jandjuk
yes it so much depends on what you're used to and what your culture teaches you is desirable or fashionable.

personally, the endless bricks and identical terraced housing in britain doesn't do much for me. but for others it's neat and tidy, using quality materials.
Yep, I like tin (isn't it aluminium?) roofs too.
I like the cottage type houses (and the qld'ers)

But, I grew up in Oz, so that explains it!
Though, not northern suburbs of Perth: also endless bricks, everything neat and tidy (Hillaries I've experienced)

This was my parents house last 4 years in Oz (Bridgetown, southwest WA)
2 paddocks, orchard, chook pen, tenniscourt. Not affordable now anymore, well not for me, yet, but it is the dream (minus the tenniscourt)
And smaller gardens, I don't like gardening. Though, Pascal does, so....
Attached Thumbnails Ugly fences-1995_180_04_bridgetownwim.jpg  
Old Mar 25th 2004, 9:21 pm
(Jon) returning to NZ 04

jandjuk is an unknown quantity at this point

yes there also seems to be more brick housing in Christchuch NZ, compared with Auckland. And it even varies from suburb to suburb in auckland as well.

some brick & tile areas, some wooden villa & tin roof areas!

and there's little brick housing in wellington because of the earthquake risk.

And then I watch 'Cribs' on MTV and am blown away by the (what seems to me) tacky extragavance of LA celebrity housing. But obviously it's the fashion there.... each one is like a palace.

Give me a tent and I'm happy!

Originally posted by Simone82
Yep, I like tin (isn't it aluminium?) roofs too.
I like the cottage type houses (and the qld'ers)

But, I grew up in Oz, so that explains it!
Though, not northern suburbs of Perth: also endless bricks, everything neat and tidy (Hillaries I've experienced)

This was my parents house last 4 years in Oz (Bridgetown, southwest WA)
2 paddocks, orchard, chook pen, tenniscourt. Not affordable now anymore, well not for me, yet, but it is the dream (minus the tenniscourt)
And smaller gardens, I don't like gardening. Though, Pascal does, so....
Old Mar 25th 2004, 9:51 pm
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

Hubbies a bricky and we have just migrated to Christchurch ... wish I could split him in two lol he has work for years to come and has been approached by other companies already wanting his skills ... just wish they would pay more. As for tin roofs I love them they look so good and clean and colourful
Old Mar 25th 2004, 9:53 pm
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

The fences are a bit iffy around some of the properties though :scared: