British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   U.K. Vaccinated child - issues with receiving government support (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/u-k-vaccinated-child-issues-receiving-government-support-872577/)

smaux04 Feb 16th 2016 12:22 pm

U.K. Vaccinated child - issues with receiving government support

Hi there,

We have just relocated to Australia from the UK.
Our daughter is 3.5years old and is up to date with her vaccinations.
We've been told she will need to have another set of vaccinations (same as she had in the UK a few months ago) in order to be eligible for government benefits and rebate here in Australia.
We are of course concerned at the impact a double dose of vaccinations will have.

Has anyone from the UK obtained government support for their child the same approximate age and if so, did you need to have another set of vaccinations done here in Australia to be eligible for it?

Thanks in advance.

spouse of scouse Feb 16th 2016 12:25 pm

Re: U.K. Vaccinated child - issues with receiving government support

Originally Posted by smaux04 (Post 11869054)
Hi there,

We've been told she will need to have another set of vaccinations (same as she had in the UK a few months ago) in order to be eligible for government benefits and rebate here in Australia.
We are of course concerned at the impact a double dose of vaccinations will have.

Has anyone from the UK obtained government support for their child the same approximate age and if so, did you need to have another set of vaccinations done here in Australia to be eligible for it?

Thanks in advance.

Do you have a record of the vaccinations she had done in the UK?

smaux04 Feb 16th 2016 12:32 pm

Yes we do (the NHS issued red book containing all medical records for the child since birth - including all vaccinations). But the problem is in the Uk they get a big dose of vaccinations at aged 3.5yrs but in Australia they don't do the same vaccinations until they are 4yrs old.

A friend who got the vaccinations in the UK (and has full records the same as we do) has been told she has to get the same vaccinations done here again now her kids have turned 4.

Dorothy Feb 16th 2016 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by smaux04 (Post 11869067)
Yes we do (the NHS issued red book containing all medical records for the child since birth - including all vaccinations). But the problem is in the Uk they get a big dose of vaccinations at aged 3.5yrs but in Australia they don't do the same vaccinations until they are 4yrs old.

A friend who got the vaccinations in the UK (and has full records the same as we do) has been told she has to get the same vaccinations done here again now her kids have turned 4.

Ah, the old "friend was told". Have YOU actually been told your child needs to re-do vaccinations? And if so, by whom?

Pollyana Feb 16th 2016 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by smaux04 (Post 11869054)
Hi there,

Thanks in advance.

We have many parents using the fourm and I don't remember anyone having to get their chid vaccinated again. The child may need a couple of extra ones as I think there are some vaccinations which aren't given in the UK, but generally if you have the red Book proving what they have had, that is sufficient.

From https://www.humanservices.gov.au/cus...aAnzs8P8HAQ#a4

Overseas vaccinations
If you’ve recently arrived or returned to Australia and your child was immunised overseas, you need to take evidence of your child's overseas vaccinations to your Australian vaccination provider who’ll update the Immunisation Register.

smaux04 Feb 16th 2016 4:37 pm

Hi there,

Many Thanks for your reply.

The info from the website link you attached was exactly the info that my friend took with her (and her red book!) when she went to see her doctor, but they still said she needed to get full vaccinations again. : (

I guess that's why I was hoping to connect with some parents on this forum who have gone through the process so I'd know there was some other possible precedence / options (other than getting the vaccinations again).

Thanks again for your help.

Pollyana Feb 16th 2016 5:42 pm

Originally Posted by smaux04 (Post 11869357)
Hi there,

The info from the website link you attached was exactly the info that my friend took with her (and her red book!) when she went to see her doctor, but they still said she needed to get full vaccinations again. : (

I guess that's why I was hoping to connect with some parents on this forum who have gone through the process so I'd know there was some other possible precedence / options (other than getting the vaccinations again).

I have to say (even as a non-parent) that the doctor would appear to be wrong. I would contact either Human Services or Medicare
https://www.humanservices.gov.au/cus...mail-or-fax-us
and verify the position - it may even be that the doctor concerned has never dealt with a UK vaccinated child before.

I'm sure some parents will chip in when its a more sociable hour here, but I can honestly say that I don't think anyone has had an issue with UK vaccinations in the whole time I've been on the forum ( and I read all the vaccination threads, for personal reasons) and in your shoes I would not be placing my child in the position of having a dose of something unecessarily.

smaux04 Feb 16th 2016 5:54 pm

I totally agree. We too are not willing to put our child at risk for the sake of being able to claim any benefit or refund. I find it hard to believe that medical practitioners would take that line about the vaccinations but I guess as there is no concrete proof that having the additional vaccinations is harmful (!), perhaps they feel obligated to follow the government regulations?

My friend spoke to both human service and Medicare about it but isn't having much luck - yet! I was hoping to find some support for her and also our own case when we go to get our daughters existing vaccinations registered.

Pollyana Feb 16th 2016 6:55 pm

Originally Posted by smaux04 (Post 11869442)
I totally agree. We too are not willing to put our child at risk for the sake of being able to claim any benefit or refund. I find it hard to believe that medical practitioners would take that line about the vaccinations but I guess as there is no concrete proof that having the additional vaccinations is harmful (!), perhaps they feel obligated to follow the government regulations?

My friend spoke to both human service and Medicare about it but isn't having much luck - yet! I was hoping to find some support for her and also our own case when we go to get our daughters existing vaccinations registered.

:fingerscrossed: you'll get some input from parents here today. As far as I can see the government regulations say that overseas vaccinations are valid, and I haven't come across any of my British mates having any issues with their kids.

Can you clarify which State you are in - might help other posters to help you :)

smaux04 Feb 16th 2016 8:27 pm

We are in Queensland.

Thanks again.

Swerv-o Feb 16th 2016 9:18 pm

Originally Posted by smaux04 (Post 11869357)
Hi there,

You're completely able to try a different doctor as well - even if it's only for this issue.

S

Pomster Feb 17th 2016 2:15 am

My daughter was born in Aus but we lived in UK between 3-5yrs old and she had all vaccinations in UK. I got our GP to stamp her (Aus) book and they provided a certificate of what she had had for extra ones. I sent that off to central registry to have her record updated so all was ready for school admission.

No double dosing required. Slightly different drug names but they can translate.

smaux04 Feb 17th 2016 2:48 am

Thanks for your feedback, thats really helpful

Pulaski Feb 17th 2016 3:29 am

Doubling up on vaccinations can be a health risk in itself (can cause disease-like symptoms), and I would question the competence of any doctor who advocated giving a duplicate set of jabs to a child just because an administrative manual said so. Whatever happened to the fundamental precept of healthcare "First, do no harm"? :unsure:

smaux04 Feb 17th 2016 3:31 am

I totally agree and we are not willing to put our child at risk. I was really hoping from this forum i might get some feedback form parents who have migrated here from the UK like us and not needed to get the extra dose of vaccinations, as that would really help our case when we visit Medicare and the GP.