British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   U.K. Tax Refund (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/u-k-tax-refund-278312/)

suzysu Jan 18th 2005 9:15 am

U.K. Tax Refund
 
God,

I've having loads of problems trying to get a tax refund from the Inland Revenue, first they lost my P45 and then just received another letter saying they lost the P85, my partner is also having problems.

Anyone else in the same boat..................

mlbonner Jan 18th 2005 9:17 am

Re: U.K. Tax Refund
 

Originally Posted by suzysu
God,

I've having loads of problems trying to get a tax refund from the Inland Revenue, first they lost my P45 and then just received another letter saying they lost the P85, my partner is also having problems.

Anyone else in the same boat..................


Yep - they did exactly the same to me. I didn't find out either till about two months, and three emails later. Which tax office are you trying to contact? Salford accepted my forms via fax, and I had the money in my account within a week or so.

suzysu Jan 18th 2005 9:46 am

Re: U.K. Tax Refund
 
Bradford office.

Well I'm not sending them another form, told them to find it and will ring back in 1 hour or shit is going to fly.

Stupid bloody U.K. people !!!!!

mlbonner Jan 18th 2005 9:47 am

Re: U.K. Tax Refund
 

Originally Posted by suzysu
Bradford office.

Well I'm not sending them another form, told them to find it and will ring back in 1 hour or shit is going to fly.

Stupid bloody U.K. people !!!!!


Thats one of the bigger IR offices too I think (I went to uni there) - give them what-for :D

stephenwhite68 Jan 18th 2005 10:03 am

Re: U.K. Tax Refund
 

Originally Posted by mlbonner
Thats one of the bigger IR offices too I think (I went to uni there) - give them what-for :D

Now im worried, should we be chasing them then ?
ive just sent off the paperwork and left it ....

mlbonner Jan 18th 2005 10:05 am

Re: U.K. Tax Refund
 

Originally Posted by stephenwhite68
Now im worried, should we be chasing them then ?
ive just sent off the paperwork and left it ....

Its the second time I've done this, left the UK twice! The first time it worked just fine, as I'm sure it does for a lot of people. I'd give them a certain amount of time (say a month?) and then if you've not got the money, just drop them an email.

You need to know where your processing centre is (ie, where you were taxed from). I emailed their general non-resident address, from there you can get put through to the area you require. There might be a quicker way, but I don't know it! Be warned though, every email you send, you get an auto-reply giving themselves 10days to reply, on the 11th day I wrote them another email, quoting the ref I'd been given, with some strong wording... got a quicker reply after that :)

IR Contact Email

suzysu Jan 18th 2005 10:06 am

Re: U.K. Tax Refund
 
I would defintely chase it up as they have messed mine and my partners up. It seems to be the norm with the inland revenue and they defintely dont like paying out!!

stephenwhite68 Jan 18th 2005 10:06 am

Re: U.K. Tax Refund
 

Originally Posted by suzysu
I would defintely chase it up as they have messed mine and my partners up. It seems to be the norm with the inland revenue and they defintely dont like paying out!!

job for today ...

mlbonner Jan 18th 2005 10:11 am

Re: U.K. Tax Refund
 

Originally Posted by stephenwhite68
job for today ...

edited my previous post, with contact details :)

edited this post, because I've just realised you're in the UK so can just call them up... much easier!

Wol Jan 18th 2005 11:20 am

Re: U.K. Tax Refund
 
I rang the Centre for Non Residents last week since I sent them my form two months before - they denied receiving it. So I sent a copy and am awaiting results.....

Seems to be a general problem?

suzysu Jan 18th 2005 11:25 am

Re: U.K. Tax Refund
 
just to let u guys know, just spoken to a really nice woman in the tax office (and feel sorry for her having to work there!!). Shes processing my tax refund without me sending another form, so will hopefully get some $$$$ in a week or two. well, watch this space anyway.......................

mlbonner Jan 18th 2005 11:32 am

Re: U.K. Tax Refund
 

Originally Posted by Rog Williams
I rang the Centre for Non Residents last week since I sent them my form two months before - they denied receiving it. So I sent a copy and am awaiting results.....

Seems to be a general problem?


Perhaps the way they process them has changed or something. In Jan 2003 I had no probs at all. I then sent my second form off in August 2004 and it took months!

suzysu Jan 18th 2005 11:36 am

Re: U.K. Tax Refund
 
They told me there have been alot of move arounds lately and thats prob why my paperwork got lost.
Fingers crossed that i get my money now.
If anyone else has the same problem in getting their money, i would suggest ringing them and speaking to someone in authority. they can process your claim with just taking details from you over the phone.
and i wonder why i moved from the uk...............:)

melibeam Jan 18th 2005 11:53 am

Re: U.K. Tax Refund
 
O am getting worried now, sent my P85 form and my P45 in November and have heard nothing from them, trouble is I did not keep copy of my P45, am so broke at the moment, I really need the money asap. I did try phoning but got put on hold for so long, had to give up!



QUOTE=suzysu]They told me there have been alot of move arounds lately and thats prob why my paperwork got lost.
Fingers crossed that i get my money now.
If anyone else has the same problem in getting their money, i would suggest ringing them and speaking to someone in authority. they can process your claim with just taking details from you over the phone.
and i wonder why i moved from the uk...............:)[/QUOTE]

mlbonner Jan 18th 2005 11:59 am

Re: U.K. Tax Refund
 

Originally Posted by melibeam
O am getting worried now, sent my P85 form and my P45 in November and have heard nothing from them, trouble is I did not keep copy of my P45, am so broke at the moment, I really need the money asap. I did try phoning but got put on hold for so long, had to give up!




Thats why I emailed - you should have heard by now I'm sure. The email details are on a previous post on this thread. I didn't have my P45 either. I told them they had that so it was 'tough', just re-did the P85 and I got my money.

This is really bad, that there's so many people having problems!! :scared:


All times are GMT. The time now is 3:24 pm.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.