Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Typical question - Sydney - which suburb?

Typical question - Sydney - which suburb?

Old Mar 5th 2009, 8:12 am
Just Joined

thekbs is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Typical question - Sydney - which suburb?

We are moving in July and I will be working in Chatswood, company car so don't mind driving and in terms of affordability we've been looking at the Northern Beaches.. Coming from Dubai where the traffic is horrendous I'm used to sitting in traffic but I don't want to drive more than an hour. Is Avalon too far? Realistically to get the house we want we'll be a bit further north than Curl Curl, perhaps Collaroy. We want to be walking distance to the beach and are not restricting ourselves to Northern Beaches but Eastern burbs seem to be too expensive for the house size.

So really I'm asking how far from Chatswood can I realistically get in an hour's rush hour traffic that's as close to a beach as possible... how is the Mona Vale Road for commuting up to the Northern Beaches rather than spit bridge?

Thanks in advance

Last edited by moneypenny20; Mar 5th 2009 at 10:58 am. Reason: Added city to help get replies.
Old Mar 5th 2009, 8:41 am
Account Closed

Three Legs is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Typical question - which suburb?

Typical answer ...

Use the search function.

Old Mar 5th 2009, 8:50 am
Suncream, I need suncream

northerner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond repute

I would say you should be able to do Curl Curl/Dee Why/Collaroy/Narrabeen within an hour. Mona vale possibly, Avalon no chance.

That's the trouble with the northern beaches - it's a slow drive to anywhere.

Does it need to be a beach, or just close to water? Opens up a load more possibilities. Also remember that Chatswood is on the train line so that might be worth considering rather than driving to work. Trouble is the train lines go nowhere near the beaches really.

Graham

Last edited by northerner; Mar 5th 2009 at 8:54 am.
Old Mar 5th 2009, 9:13 am
Just Joined

thekbs is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by northerner
I would say you should be able to do Curl Curl/Dee Why/Collaroy/Narrabeen within an hour. Mona vale possibly, Avalon no chance.

That's the trouble with the northern beaches - it's a slow drive to anywhere.

Does it need to be a beach, or just close to water? Opens up a load more possibilities. Also remember that Chatswood is on the train line so that might be worth considering rather than driving to work. Trouble is the train lines go nowhere near the beaches really.

Graham
Thanks Graham...

Still exploring possibilities really. I've gathered its a slow drive and I would prefer a train but as you say is causes problems getting to the beach! We're going to have to compromise somewhere between distance to work, distance to the beach and size of house but in my idealistic-dream-move-brain I don't want to do that just yet... beach is not a necessity as although i want to surf i wont be able to during the week..but close to water is something we want - its the only way i can convince the wife i need a boat!
Old Mar 8th 2009, 7:33 am
BE Forum Addict

medwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Typical question - Sydney - which suburb?

Use something like whereis.com or google maps & do the directions to/from Chatswood.....then at least double the time it says to allow for rush hour(s) traffic. I'm not that up on the geography there.....I work in Meadowbank and I have a colleague that lives in St Ives and it takes her more than an hour to get to work....about the same as me from the Liverpool area....
Old Mar 8th 2009, 8:03 am
Harrip

harrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to behold

The Sydney Morning Hearald do a suburb guide - a paperback book. Maybe try and find a copy.
Old Mar 8th 2009, 8:18 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

I have that book.

Why not look at Cremorne, Neutral Bay, that way on? Or west of the bridge where I am? Harbour but not beach.