British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Typical job benefits (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/typical-job-benefits-341051/)

worzel Dec 5th 2005 3:33 am

Typical job benefits

What benefits do you normally get with a job in Australia? I am an accountant in Perth and may either get junior management level or just below I suppose.

How common are things like:
-company car (I will have to buy one otherwise)
-super (will transfer UK funds before 6 April if poss)
-health insurance (want to avoid 2% levy)
-life insurance (will need to buy some if not)

ABCDiamond Dec 5th 2005 3:42 am

Re: Typical job benefits

Originally Posted by worzel
What benefits do you normally get with a job in Australia? I am an accountant in Perth and may either get junior management level or just below I suppose.

Super:
Your company will be paying the Compulsory Super Payments, currently at the rate of 9% on top of the persons Salary, as long as they earn more than $450 a month. When being given a salary package figure, ask if the 9% super is on top of the total figure given, as some employers may include it in that overall figure. Super

Car:
When I was working for Chartered Accountants in Sydney I was given a car and petrol allowance, but that was some years back now. Not sure what it's like these days.

Insurance ? I can't remember what I had at the time.

chr1sarter Dec 5th 2005 3:46 am

Re: Typical job benefits

Originally Posted by worzel

Every company is different in what they offer. Most companies dont offer company car, but an allowance in stead. If you can negotiate, get the car allowance built into your salary, so there is no separate allowance shown. ie, if you salary is 50K and car is 12k, ask if your salary can be 62k. This way you get super paid on the $62k. Also better tax advantages in claiming back petrol and cost of running car for business use.

Every company has to give super, and its set at 9%. Some pay 10%. Some offer health Insurance some dont. And thats the same for life insurance.

If you are offered life insurance, make sure its not just the one offered with your super, because its crap. make sure its a separate policy.