Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Typical Austrailian Desserts???

Typical Austrailian Desserts???

Old Jan 24th 2009, 3:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

AlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Typical Austrailian Desserts???

Hi all on the Oz form - I have strayed over from the dark side (Canada forum..lol).

We have been invited to a friends for Austrailia Day dinner on Monday and I offered to bring a dessert

Apart from Pavlova - what else is a typical Oz dessert???

Thanks.
Old Jan 24th 2009, 6:30 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Colchester, Essex but hope to head to Bulli / Thirroul area.....
Bubsblooms is just really niceBubsblooms is just really niceBubsblooms is just really niceBubsblooms is just really niceBubsblooms is just really niceBubsblooms is just really niceBubsblooms is just really niceBubsblooms is just really niceBubsblooms is just really niceBubsblooms is just really niceBubsblooms is just really nice
Default Re: Typical Austrailian Desserts???

Originally Posted by AlvicSK
Hi all on the Oz form - I have strayed over from the dark side (Canada forum..lol).

We have been invited to a friends for Austrailia Day dinner on Monday and I offered to bring a dessert

Thanks.
What about taking Rocky Road or Lamingtons instead of an actual pudding??
Old Jan 24th 2009, 6:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute

As its summer fresh fruit salad always goes down well with ice cream or cream.

Just realised you are not in aus and its winter but still I would do the fruit salad as I think its much lighter these days and most people seem to like it.

Last edited by Petals; Jan 24th 2009 at 6:36 pm.
Old Jan 25th 2009, 2:39 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks.
How about a nice flan? You should be able to buy a flan base at your local Loblaws/Sobey's, etc. and just do some mango, kiwi and pineapple with a jelly poured over. Easy peasy! I'm not sure where Indian Head is, but if you have a decent grocery store or are close to Regina or Saskatoon you could go there to buy the fruit.

Something else is ANZAC biscuits. You can find a recipe on the 'net (I like www.allrecipes.com) for them.

If you can get your hands on a honeydew melon you could make it into a melon basket. Cut it so you have made a "handle" and scoop out the insides so it's a shell with a handle. Fill it with fresh fruit and serve with pouring custard and thickened cream.
Old Jan 25th 2009, 4:33 am
Citizen Of The World

benlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud of

Go down to the beach on a windy day with a large cone of fresh vanilla ice-cream. Stand where the wind blows hardest.

Shortly you will have the Great Sandy Dessert.

Cheers
b

(Yes, that joke was as bad as you thought...)
Old Jan 26th 2009, 8:15 am
BE Forum Addict

medwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of light

Did we stamp your passport
Old Jan 26th 2009, 12:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud of

Hmmmmm, the only thing that springs to mind
Attached Thumbnails Typical Austrailian Desserts???-vb_r1.jpg  
Old Jan 27th 2009, 6:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

AlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond repute

This is what I made in the end...and they all thought it tasted lovely
Attached Thumbnails Typical Austrailian Desserts???-dsc00604.jpg  
Old Jan 27th 2009, 6:52 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Colchester, Essex but hope to head to Bulli / Thirroul area.....
Bubsblooms is just really niceBubsblooms is just really niceBubsblooms is just really niceBubsblooms is just really niceBubsblooms is just really niceBubsblooms is just really niceBubsblooms is just really niceBubsblooms is just really niceBubsblooms is just really niceBubsblooms is just really niceBubsblooms is just really nice

Ahhhh, you can't beat a good pavlova! Any left??
Old Jan 27th 2009, 6:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bubsblooms
Ahhhh, you can't beat a good pavlova! Any left??
Thankfully it was all eaten...must be a good sign

..and the two Austrailians in the party were most delighted as neither of them had it for donkey's years - it's not eaten here in Canada either...I'm thinking of starting a new craze...lol
Old Jan 27th 2009, 7:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Sydney AUS - Leeds/Selby/York UK - Sydney AUS (April 2011)
seayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud of

It has to be choc0late crackles and fairy bread (seriously I miss that stuff - made fairy bread here but not the same)
Old Jan 28th 2009, 5:53 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Looks good. Pavlova is one of my favourites.