Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Two Up - ANZAC Day Tradition

Two Up - ANZAC Day Tradition

Old Apr 26th 2008, 8:52 am
You call that a moustache

ex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Two Up - ANZAC Day Tradition

Did anyone else go to the pub on ANZAC day to find a baying hoard of Australians tossing coins in the air from a piece of wood and betting on the result? Its called two up apparently and is only legal one day a year, thousands of dollars changed hands in the pub I was in, total madness, who bets on the result of a coin toss.... I came out up $60

Apparently its an ANZAC tradition; anyone know when or how it started?
Old Apr 26th 2008, 8:59 am
BE Enthusiast

hollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud of
Default Re: Two Up - ANZAC Day Tradition

When I was a lad 'two up' and 'three up' were played in what were referred to as 'Tossing schools'. A rich seem of comedy innuendo as you can plainly see!
This is in West Central Scotland. It was actually illegal from what I remember and I think bareknuckle boxing went on as well.
When out roaming...as we did in the 70's we stumbled across one in Holytown in Lanarkshire. Blood, fag butts and bottles of wine lying around. They had constructed a sort of bus shelter in the middle of no-where. We were there after the 'party'...it looked like it had taken place the night or day before...when we got there it was deserted.
I wonder if there is a link....
HKA
x
Old Apr 26th 2008, 9:12 am
Harrip

harrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by ex_exile

Apparently its an ANZAC tradition; anyone know when or how it started?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Two-up
Old Apr 26th 2008, 9:22 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by harrip

Darn, just beat me.
Old Apr 26th 2008, 11:46 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ex_exile
who bets on the result of a coin toss.... I came out up $60