Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Two go househunting in NZ

Two go househunting in NZ

Old Feb 23rd 2004, 6:28 pm
Kiwified member

Pollster will become famous soon enoughPollster will become famous soon enough
Default Two go househunting in NZ

Working on the basis that if we stay in the house I will kill my bloody mother we have been out looking at houses to buy.

Here in NZ they have an open house systems where you can bail over and have a look at your leisure - it is a great idea because you can walk in and decide whether you like the place before talking to an estate agent for the hard sell ( it is also a great opportunity to stickybeak peoples' houses!)

Times and addresses are printed in the local rag and it is a good way of seeing loads of houses all at the same time on your own schedule.

Anyway - we started in the $130-160,000 range - found fairly small two/three bedrooms places with a smallish yard and shed - generally in a fairly poor state decor wise and fairly cramped - worked up to the $180 - 210,000 range - big houses three/four bedrooms, two bathrooms, three living areas, big gardens decks and ginormous garages. I then persuaded hubby to go and look at a $347,000 farmlet and oh my god - MASSIVE house, 3 acres, stables, sheds, orchard, beautiful setting and only 5/10 minutes from the centre of town.

We both got VERY excited about this place and began looking into mortgages - where our bubble was unceremoniously popped for us.

Unless you have PR here, lenders want at least 25% deposit and the interest can be massive ( although it seems expensive to us anyway as it is a rate of 6.5% for a low one according to the telly - shall suss this out more throughly later)

As we are on a temp working visa at the moment, there is no way we can get a mortgage ( we didn't sell our home in the UK - renting it out) so the plan is to rent and save a bit while we apply through the SMC for PR and then go for it with a 10% deposit.

So rentals - we were a bit worried about getting a house to rent with the dog that, even if it allowed dogs, was suitable for her ( ie fenced like a prison yard) - we also ideally wanted a furnished place - started through the paper and went to see a couple of places happy to have dogs - one was no good - no fence, next to a road, unfurnished and in a frankly poor starte of repair. Another one was no good ( can't remember why) and then a third was unfurnished, fenced and would have been OK.

We then decided to go to all the rental agencies and see what they had to offer - walked in off the street to the first one - explained what we wanted - oh she said - I have got a fully furnished place that is happy with dogs that you could buy your groceries and move into today! She gave us the address and the keys ( in exchange for Nick's crap cheapo watch) and off we went to have a look - a big three bedroomed house, two living areas, big bathroom, the biggest kitchen you have seen in your life, every labour saving appliance known to man, two televisons, one hooked up to Sky (hubby took one look at that and said we are taking it!), stereo, large fenced garden ideal for Bracken, lovely area 5 minutes from town down a side street so very quiet with a stream/nature reserve at the back. Sheets on the bed, towels in the cupboard - everything. And all for only 280 bucks a week!

OH and most importantly of all - a fantastic view of the mountain from the kitchen window!

We piled back to rental agency - said yep we will have it - can we move in in a week? - no problem - I'll get a gardener out to trim the lawns and a cleaner to make sure the place is spotless - right it is a weeks rent, three weeks bond and a letting fee payable when you move in but come over a couple of days before the tenacy starts to get the keys so you can move your stuff in ready.

do you want a holding deposit I said? Yes- 50 bucks would do it!!!

And there we were - easier than falling off a log!!

When I think of the hoops my tenants had to go through and the massive amount of deposit and so on they had to put down I am amazed by it all. I LOVE THIS COUNTRY!!

Nell - it is in Huatoki Road in case you know it.

We have also opened a bank account - gave us our cards and everything straight away although the money still had to be transferred over - she said she was supposed to wait until there was at least $500 in the account but didn't want to drag us down there again to pick the cards up!! Drag us down there - 5 minutes!!

Had a celebratory lunch in the Grumpy Mole Saloon - dead foxes on the walls and very 'wild west' - y so not that keen - $15 ish for two ginormous sarnies and fries, a couple of beers and a couple of cokes.

Today is suss cars out day - apparently there is some scheme with the government here that companies can get 25% off the value of a new car and Nick can take advantage of that through the council so we are thinking that we will buy my Toyota Hilux Surf I want through that ( brand new!!!!! and I can choose my own colour!!!!!!) and then pick up a cheap runabout for the hubby to get to work and golf in - we will find out more about the scheme today so shal expound the virtues of that no doubt at a later date.

Also going to buy a mobile today - can't be bothered with all the unlocking lark so shall get a nice shiney new one ( and it will be swish because if it isn't I will sulk and that isn't a pretty sight)

Anyway - hope all this is helpful to anyone - tell me if I bore you all but I really feel that it is my turn to put up about my experiences that will hopefully help others coming out here and sometimes it is the little snippets and anecdotes that can help the most.
Old Feb 23rd 2004, 6:39 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Two go househunting in NZ

Poll,
I get the impression you are enjoting yourself !

Are you sure you are in NZ yet ?
You could be asleep on the Singapore flight still

Glad it's started so well - long may it continue
Old Feb 23rd 2004, 6:42 pm
You sip .... I glug !!!

Vegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Pollster,
fabby post, keep 'em coming.

Glad to hear you are still "landing on your feet".

I just hope our move to OZ is as pain free as yours seems to be

Mairi
Old Feb 23rd 2004, 6:47 pm
Kiwified member

Originally posted by Mairi&Chris
Hi Pollster,
fabby post, keep 'em coming.

Glad to hear you are still "landing on your feet".

I just hope our move to OZ is as pain free as yours seems to be

Mairi

Pain-free!!!! :scared: you forget my bloody mother is here!!
Old Feb 23rd 2004, 6:49 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Pollster
tell me if I bore you all but I really feel that it is my turn to put up about my experiences that will hopefully help others coming out here and sometimes it is the little snippets and anecdotes that can help the most.
Cool, all sounds great!!

I'm the type of person that loves filling out forms, and was looking forward to the interview in Berlin.... I'm going to have so much fun sorting out house etc!!!
Lucky us with no kids (yet) hey?!
Saves a lot of hassles in times like these!

Anyway, we're not going to NZ, but it's fun reading your posts, and I'm sure you're helping some people!

Good luck with the car and mobile!
Old Feb 23rd 2004, 6:52 pm
You sip .... I glug !!!

Vegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond repute

Pain-free!!!! :scared: you forget my bloody mother is here!!

Oh good point. I had forgotten that.

Fortunately my mother hasn't spoken to me for nearly 5 years, so thats one problem I KNOW I'm not going to have
Old Feb 23rd 2004, 7:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

lesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond repute

OH and most importantly of all - a fantastic view of the mountain from the kitchen window!

Hi,

Glad you arrived in tact!

Does your view look like my avatur?

Lesley
Old Feb 23rd 2004, 7:58 pm
Forum Regular

nell m is an unknown quantity at this point

<Nell - it is in Huatoki Road in case you know it.>

God, that's really handy for town!! you should buy a lottery ticket, youre on a winning streak!!

Did you go to TSB bank? if youre in town and want to go for a coffee, go upstairs in centre city, theres a coffee shop with a glass wall overlooking the sea which is really nice - they do lovely cakes and stuff.

If you want to sort out your IRD numbers the office is on Gill st (it carries on from the land-side street that centre city's on) they'll give you the forms which you have to send to Aukland - unless you can do it online now - I dont know.

anyway, well done and keep the posts coming!
Old Feb 23rd 2004, 8:05 pm

cinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud of

You really are having a good time. Love reading your posts. Hope the new phone is really, really swish.
Old Feb 23rd 2004, 8:19 pm
Banned

Jack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like you are having a great time there Pollster

I want a room with nice views, so please bare this mind when purchasing your new abode
Old Feb 23rd 2004, 8:21 pm
Kiwified member

Originally posted by Jack Daws
Sounds like you are having a great time there Pollster

I want a room with nice views, so please bare this mind when purchasing your new abode

Hubby says you are a cheeky ******

I am sure we can find room in our quadruple garage for you
Old Feb 23rd 2004, 9:23 pm
Account Closed

ANA123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Morning jammy Pollsters,
we're off to look at houses today so please send me a smidgen of your luck just in case its necesary, sounds like you've got a bit to spare

Michaela
Old Feb 23rd 2004, 9:25 pm
Banned

Jack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond repute

Hubby says you are a cheeky ******

I am sure we can find room in our quadruple garage for you
Whats a cheeky ******

Clot?
Old Feb 24th 2004, 12:43 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Pollster you are having so much luck!! Thats great, keep the posts coming!! I guess you have to put up with mother just so it makes everything else look even more great!!!

Long may the fun continue
Old Feb 24th 2004, 12:48 pm
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

Nice one, you're far ahead of the game compared to us.

You won't go wrong with a Surf, I suggest 1996 or later models.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.