Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Twitchers...name this bird? and what have you in your garden?

Wikiposts

Twitchers...name this bird? and what have you in your garden?

Old Jun 22nd 2006, 10:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

geordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Twitchers...name this bird? and what have you in your garden?

Originally Posted by moneypen20
That wasn't big and it wasn't clever

These are far prettier. Obviously the Kanga and Possum aren't birds, and only saw the turkey thing today but what you can't see is the red head and yellow/gold necklace. Seemed at home though

They are lovley, since as yet i havent got an oz wild life book for the kids. Everytime any one puts pics on i save them to show the kids and where they are from and who put them on.
Mandy
Old Jun 22nd 2006, 11:12 pm

rossifumi will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by annqldau
It was the aussies that told us the magpies were butcher birds in the first place..LOL. We now know the magpies are magpies but today is the first time we have had the little bird.

Had a pair of yellow tailed black cockatoo out the front today but managed to identify that myself, was the butcher bird that had me stumped.
Is the koala still about?
Old Jun 23rd 2006, 9:03 pm

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Re: Twitchers...name this bird? and what have you in your garden?

Originally Posted by rossifumi
Is the koala still about?
Yep but he got even closer the tree right next to the pool so took lots of pics off the balcony, also now an expert at spotting which trees they have been up by the vicious beast claw marks up the trunk. G and I woke up the other night to what sounded like child being murdered in the garden but was just koala having a bit fun with it's friend.

I know you said the Magpies were Magpies first but have bought my Readers Digest First Edition Birds of Australia since then... has that proper old book shop musty smell to it.

More Garden pics below.
Attached Thumbnails Twitchers...name this bird? and what have you in your garden?-garden-dawn.jpg   Twitchers...name this bird? and what have you in your garden?-koala-cropped.jpg   Twitchers...name this bird? and what have you in your garden?-koala-kurwongbah.jpg   Twitchers...name this bird? and what have you in your garden?-possum-swing.jpg   Twitchers...name this bird? and what have you in your garden?-garden.jpg  

Old Jun 23rd 2006, 9:41 pm

Yep but he got even closer the tree right next to the pool so took lots of pics off the balcony, also now an expert at spotting which trees they have been up by the vicious beast claw marks up the trunk. G and I woke up the other night to what sounded like child being murdered in the garden but was just koala having a bit fun with it's friend.

I know you said the Magpies were Magpies first but have bought my Readers Digest First Edition Birds of Australia since then... has that proper old book shop musty smell to it.

More Garden pics below.
Lynn says she wants one.
Old Jun 24th 2006, 11:31 am
It's got to be purple....

wsbtroyno21 has a reputation beyond reputewsbtroyno21 has a reputation beyond reputewsbtroyno21 has a reputation beyond reputewsbtroyno21 has a reputation beyond reputewsbtroyno21 has a reputation beyond reputewsbtroyno21 has a reputation beyond reputewsbtroyno21 has a reputation beyond reputewsbtroyno21 has a reputation beyond reputewsbtroyno21 has a reputation beyond reputewsbtroyno21 has a reputation beyond reputewsbtroyno21 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by geordie mandy
My kids love looking at all the photos of birds and animals. Im trying to get an aussie wild life book for them any recomendations?
Mandy

Dunno if these are any good but I know that Steve Parish takes brilliant photographs.....

http://www.steveparish.com.au/catalo...p?p=nathistory

http://www.steveparish.com.au/images...st/auswild.pdf

Wendy

Last edited by wsbtroyno21; Jun 24th 2006 at 11:33 am.
Old Jun 24th 2006, 11:34 am

Originally Posted by wsbtroyno21
Dunno if these are any good but I know that Steve Parish takes brilliant photographs.....

Wendy
Not ex GP motorcyclist Steve Parish?
Old Jun 24th 2006, 11:35 am

wsbtroyno21 has a reputation beyond reputewsbtroyno21 has a reputation beyond reputewsbtroyno21 has a reputation beyond reputewsbtroyno21 has a reputation beyond reputewsbtroyno21 has a reputation beyond reputewsbtroyno21 has a reputation beyond reputewsbtroyno21 has a reputation beyond reputewsbtroyno21 has a reputation beyond reputewsbtroyno21 has a reputation beyond reputewsbtroyno21 has a reputation beyond reputewsbtroyno21 has a reputation beyond repute

Not ex GP motorcyclist Steve Parish?

Lol ...thats what I thought at first but no I don't think its the same guy......

Wendy
Old Jun 24th 2006, 11:36 am

Lol ...thats what I thought at first but no I don't think its the same guy......

Wendy

Just looked at his website....and no it is NOT the same guy !!
Old Jun 24th 2006, 9:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

geordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond repute

Wendy

Those look like just what im after. Thanks for the links
Mandy
Old Jun 24th 2006, 10:32 pm
Forum Regular

priscilia is a name known to allpriscilia is a name known to allpriscilia is a name known to allpriscilia is a name known to allpriscilia is a name known to allpriscilia is a name known to allpriscilia is a name known to allpriscilia is a name known to allpriscilia is a name known to allpriscilia is a name known to allpriscilia is a name known to all

More Garden pics below.
My 6 year old says you are very nice to share these with us!!
Thanks
Old Jun 25th 2006, 12:19 pm

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Re: Twitchers...name this bird? and what have you in your garden?

Lynn says she wants one.
Tell Lynn if she wants to climb the tree she can have one. If you don't have possums call over for a coffee/beer one evening after 6pm and it's there most nights, free show it's always after the bird feeder left overs just drop us a pm.

Todays photos a bit grainy as took last night at dusk and in dark so not as good a quality as some of previous ones. I'm just impressed I got the cockatoos with crests up. They were terrorising a poor possum about 60ft up a tree.

Double click on the pic's to enlarge.
Attached Thumbnails Twitchers...name this bird? and what have you in your garden?-now-then.jpg   Twitchers...name this bird? and what have you in your garden?-possum-pie.jpg  
Old Jun 25th 2006, 8:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tell Lynn if she wants to climb the tree she can have one. If you don't have possums call over for a coffee/beer one evening after 6pm and it's there most nights, free show it's always after the bird feeder left overs just drop us a pm.

Todays photos a bit grainy as took last night at dusk and in dark so not as good a quality as some of previous ones. I'm just impressed I got the cockatoos with crests up. They were terrorising a poor possum about 60ft up a tree.

I just love your photos' Ann, im so jealous .
Keep them coming.
Mandy
Old Jun 25th 2006, 10:20 pm
Forum Regular

devonleas is a jewel in the roughdevonleas is a jewel in the roughdevonleas is a jewel in the roughdevonleas is a jewel in the roughdevonleas is a jewel in the rough

OK had a new bird today and don't know what it is so need a little help. Have narrowed it down to a few possibles.

The bird had black head with white spot either side of beak join, white collar across back below head leading to grey back, black tail with white across and blackish wings with white flashes and black eyes. Was approx half the size of Aus Magpie.

Black backed butcherbird looks most like it but not sure if that has grey back and they are only supposed to be right up at top of Aus above Cairns.

White breasted wood swallow but it looked to have to much colour in tail and wings for one of those and it says upper parts grey for those although head most def black and back grey on bird in my garden.
thats a butcherbird-I think
Old Jun 25th 2006, 10:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

DebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by geordie mandy
Those look like just what im after. Thanks for the links
Mandy
we have a set of "little books of australia" can't remember what the actual titles are, but will have a look later and let you know. our eldest was given them when we were in aus one xmas - he is fascinated by the Australian wildlife, I think the books he has are "reptiles, insects, birds, fish" and maybe mammel - not sure about that one.
Deb
Old Jun 26th 2006, 2:21 am
Account Closed

tonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond repute

Nice pic of a Coppery Brushtail! What on earth is it sitting in?!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.