Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

TV's and prices etc etc

TV's and prices etc etc

Old Nov 15th 2005, 7:31 pm
Forum Regular

Pickle has a spectacular aura aboutPickle has a spectacular aura aboutPickle has a spectacular aura about
Default TV's and prices etc etc

I was looking into the price of buying a TV in oz yesterday and became a bit worried about the cost over there

They seem very very expensive, can someone please tell me there the same price as we pay over here and if they can't tell me that then will my TV work in oz ok??

Looking at a Sony TV here for around the £4-500 mark and in oz?????
A$2500 thats at retravision anyways for what looks like a similar TV.

so has anyone taken there UK TV over or is it better to buy new there?
Old Nov 15th 2005, 8:01 pm
s**t rolls down hill

sparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud of
Default Re: TV's and prices etc etc

Originally Posted by Pickle
I was looking into the price of buying a TV in oz yesterday and became a bit worried about the cost over there

They seem very very expensive, can someone please tell me there the same price as we pay over here and if they can't tell me that then will my TV work in oz ok??

your tTVwill be fine as they use the same electrical supply (volts and frequency) as we do. as for price i understand that the choice is less and more expensive, but i sure that some one other there can confirm that for you. all the best.
Old Nov 15th 2005, 8:23 pm
Just Joined

stanleygeorge64 will become famous soon enoughstanleygeorge64 will become famous soon enough

I've recently investigated this issue as I'm moving to Oz from the UK in january.

The TV freqencies are different in Oz compared to the UK. UK uses Pal-i, Oz uses Pal-B/C. This means that any UK equipment that receives a direct TV signal (e.g. TVs, video, DVD recorder, etc.) won't be able to receive a TV signal directly when in Oz. I think you can get a picture but no sound.

The workaround is to buy a video recorder in Oz and use that to receive the TV signal. The video out from the VCR can then be fed into the UK compatible TV.
Old Nov 15th 2005, 8:25 pm
Life's a gamble

Suni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pickle

Yes TV's will work in oz. We had a look round when in oz over the summer and did fine some plasma screens around the same price as the UK. Not sure where you are looking.
Old Nov 15th 2005, 9:32 pm
Chocoholic

Juliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond repute

Have a look at Dick Smith Electronics website. Available all over Oz.
www.dse.com.au
Old Nov 15th 2005, 10:44 pm
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stanleygeorge64
I've recently investigated this issue as I'm moving to Oz from the UK in january.

The TV freqencies are different in Oz compared to the UK. UK uses Pal-i, Oz uses Pal-B/C. This means that any UK equipment that receives a direct TV signal (e.g. TVs, video, DVD recorder, etc.) won't be able to receive a TV signal directly when in Oz. I think you can get a picture but no sound.

The workaround is to buy a video recorder in Oz and use that to receive the TV signal. The video out from the VCR can then be fed into the UK compatible TV.
mate Im sorry but this is not correct to say that 'any' or 'all ' wont work because many of them do. So dont assume yours wont and chuck it out - if it doesnt work straight out of the box over here then a 40$ VCR will fix the issue for you.

As for price of TV's over here - that 2500$ quote is ridiculous it cannot be the same TV, maybe the one you see here is 100hz super snazzy compared to a base model that just looks the same.

TV's are geneally cheap - a plasma 42" is only 2500$ just to give you an idea.
Normal TVs' are available everywhere Kmart,etc all cheap ,plus you can get premium brands . Home theatre is big over here so your needs will be well catered for.
Old Nov 15th 2005, 10:51 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Suni&Jay
Yes TV's will work in oz. We had a look round when in oz over the summer and did fine some plasma screens around the same price as the UK. Not sure where you are looking.
I disagree your TV will work but you will get no sound for a start unless its programmed to change frequencies which 99% of UK TVs are not since they are manufactured for the Europe market.

I would say that prices are comparable - they are not really cheaper - well actually thats not true, they are since you can haggle for a lower price, something that might get you a strange look in Dixons.

On balance much the same here except I would say that the range seems to be a lot better of large screens than in the UK. Maybe due to the home cinema buzz here.
Old Nov 16th 2005, 2:45 am
BE Enthusiast

pootle26 has a brilliant futurepootle26 has a brilliant futurepootle26 has a brilliant futurepootle26 has a brilliant futurepootle26 has a brilliant futurepootle26 has a brilliant futurepootle26 has a brilliant future

[QUOTE=Centurion]I disagree your TV will work but you will get no sound for a start unless its programmed to change frequencies which 99% of UK TVs are not since they are manufactured for the Europe market.

we bought our tvs & found that they did work for the kids games consols - gamecube etc , the uk video works too - when plugged into a UK TV ONLY -

the oz video works when plugged into a oz tv - The oz video does not work when plugged into a uk TV

WE CANNOT GET THE UK TV TO TUNE IN TO REGULAR OZ TV THO

so i think its swings and roundabouts - i think tvs on the whole were more expensive ( cant nip into argos & get a cheap £89 one!)

the kids are chuffed because they have huge tv to play there games on - we have a small uk portable (was kids old one ) hooked up to a uk vcr in the bedroom

my advice is bring em over if you have room
hth

pootle26
Old Nov 16th 2005, 3:04 am
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=pootle26]
Originally Posted by Centurion
I disagree your TV will work but you will get no sound for a start unless its programmed to change frequencies which 99% of UK TVs are not since they are manufactured for the Europe market.

we bought our tvs & found that they did work for the kids games consols - gamecube etc , the uk video works too - when plugged into a UK TV ONLY -

the oz video works when plugged into a oz tv - The oz video does not work when plugged into a uk TV

WE CANNOT GET THE UK TV TO TUNE IN TO REGULAR OZ TV THO

so i think its swings and roundabouts - i think tvs on the whole were more expensive ( cant nip into argos & get a cheap £89 one!)

the kids are chuffed because they have huge tv to play there games on - we have a small uk portable (was kids old one ) hooked up to a uk vcr in the bedroom

hth

pootle26
Pootle - you have to plug the Aus VCR to the UK Tele using a cable like Scart cable or RGB (3 leads) then it will work, it wont work if you are just using the normal Aerial lead like the one that comes out the wall. Back of your TV should have some 1.5 inch long plug holes in it with about 26 pins, these are scart cable sockets - you switch to them by using the AV button on the remote control for TV
Old Nov 16th 2005, 3:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spalen
mate Im sorry but this is not correct to say that 'any' or 'all ' wont work because many of them do. So dont assume yours wont and chuck it out - if it doesnt work straight out of the box over here then a 40$ VCR will fix the issue for you.

As for price of TV's over here - that 2500$ quote is ridiculous it cannot be the same TV, maybe the one you see here is 100hz super snazzy compared to a base model that just looks the same.

TV's are geneally cheap - a plasma 42" is only 2500$ just to give you an idea.
Normal TVs' are available everywhere Kmart,etc all cheap ,plus you can get premium brands . Home theatre is big over here so your needs will be well catered for.
JB Hi FI, now have at least 3 models of 42" Plasmas for under 2,000 AUD, all with Samsung panels, 10,000-1 contrast and 60,000 hours half life, with plenty of inputs and outputs. 32inch LCD's are also plentiful at less than 2,000 Aud now, with the cheapest I've seen at 1700 on Special at Big W. A 52 Inch Rear projection TV "LG, 100 Mhz Hi def can be bought, again from JB Hi Fi for Less than 2,350 Cash. At the other end of the Scale 51 cm tv (26 inch or is it 21 inch) start at 138 bucks. .

I've rethought my views on Electrical goods, and now claim they are at least 20 pct cheaper here, which isn't suprising considering our proxmity to asia.

To prove my point, Can anyone In the UK, get from any high street shop, or argos or brand new from amazon, a 4 meg pix camera times 3 optical for less than 177 Aud, or 75 quid, as once again JB hi fi are selling a "samsung" model for that price, and I want to buy my Daughter in the UK one, Best I can see on amazon is about 270 bucks, over 30 quid dearer.

Methinks that new arrivals are attracted to the glitz and bling of the very expensive Harvey Norman...... Shop around guys !!!
Old Nov 16th 2005, 3:29 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by pootle26

hth

pootle26
Down here we can nip into www.theGoodGuys.com.au and get a cheap $99 one

Kmart had them for $89 last Christmas.

Old Nov 16th 2005, 4:00 am
BE Enthusiast

pootle26 has a brilliant futurepootle26 has a brilliant futurepootle26 has a brilliant futurepootle26 has a brilliant futurepootle26 has a brilliant futurepootle26 has a brilliant futurepootle26 has a brilliant future

[QUOTE=spalen]
Originally Posted by pootle26

Pootle - you have to plug the Aus VCR to the UK Tele using a cable like Scart cable or RGB (3 leads) then it will work, it wont work if you are just using the normal Aerial lead like the one that comes out the wall. Back of your TV should have some 1.5 inch long plug holes in it with about 26 pins, these are scart cable sockets - you switch to them by using the AV button on the remote control for TV
nope- tried that
but not fussed as the kids are using that one now !!

& we all know what happy kids means...........................

PEACE & QUIET!!!!!!!

ha ha

pootle26
Old Nov 16th 2005, 4:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Down here we can nip into www.theGoodGuys.com.au and get a cheap $99 one

Kmart had them for $89 last Christmas.
must admit - hadnt looked for a tv - but hadnt noticed there were $99 ones in goodguys etc
apologies for that

i normally get my electronics from goodguys - but havent been in there for ages as im a country bumkin!! tee hee

ttfn

pootle26
Old Nov 16th 2005, 4:23 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Some modern UK TVs will work witout any modification. My Toshiba will automatically pick up pal B/G. Other sets will just require a setting adjustment via the remote. Check with the manufacturer.
Old Nov 16th 2005, 1:29 pm
Forum Regular

Pickle has a spectacular aura aboutPickle has a spectacular aura aboutPickle has a spectacular aura about

I only said they were expensive because I looked at the price on the retravision web site.

http://www.retravision.com.au/apps/s...Phrase=sony+tv

after looking at the good guys web site and at some of your messages I guess retravison are a bit of a rip off.

now I can forget about that problem and just get this visa sorted out.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.