TV's In Oz

Old Jan 9th 2007, 9:22 pm
Essex Staffy

daveplumber has a brilliant futuredaveplumber has a brilliant futuredaveplumber has a brilliant futuredaveplumber has a brilliant futuredaveplumber has a brilliant futuredaveplumber has a brilliant future
Default TV's In Oz

Just bought a 42" lcd tv, i believe these are ok to watch if you watch it via foxtel or multi region dvd's any feedback would b great guys
Old Jan 9th 2007, 10:11 pm
Forum Regular

Haley & Craig is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: TV's In Oz

Originally Posted by daveplumber
Just bought a 42" lcd tv, i believe these are ok to watch if you watch it via foxtel or multi region dvd's any feedback would b great guys
I assume you mean bought in thw uk. We brought a new panasonic plasma to Aus. I believe you can get them altered to pick up local terrestial tv (althogh it's not great) we opted for foxtel (just like sky with dish etc.) tv works perfectly.

craig
Old Jan 10th 2007, 9:05 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Haley & Craig
I assume you mean bought in thw uk. We brought a new panasonic plasma to Aus. I believe you can get them altered to pick up local terrestial tv (althogh it's not great) we opted for foxtel (just like sky with dish etc.) tv works perfectly.

craig
Don't forget that analogue transmission is (as far as I'm aware) still going to be terminated in 2008. As Channels 10 and 7 have not (and apparently will not) signed with Foxtel to retransmit their digital signals, there goes 40% of the free to air terrestrial channels on Foxtel.

Last edited by The Bloke; Jan 10th 2007 at 9:10 am.
Old Jan 10th 2007, 9:46 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Bloke
Don't forget that analogue transmission is (as far as I'm aware) still going to be terminated in 2008. As Channels 10 and 7 have not (and apparently will not) signed with Foxtel to retransmit their digital signals, there goes 40% of the free to air terrestrial channels on Foxtel.
But you can get a digital set top box for about $60 anyway so it's not a big issue. You can get a High Definition digibox for $200. All the analogue terrestrial channels are on here plus ABC2, SBS 2 & SBS News. OK you might never watch any of these but they're there!
Old Jan 10th 2007, 9:54 am
Just Joined

AngC is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by daveplumber
I brought a Sony LCD out with me and it doesn't even need a set top box - works fine.

Ang
Old Jan 11th 2007, 9:35 am
Forum Regular

Coulterk will become famous soon enoughCoulterk will become famous soon enough

The only thing that does not work between using UK sets in OZ is the sound for analogue channels.

Older sets and some manufacturers sets sill tune into the analogue channels here for the picture but the sound is broadcast on a frequency outside the range that the TV supports. Some sets work and others do not.

This will only be a problem if you use the analogue tuner with the set (and as I say some UK tvs do actually work here). As previous posts have said, you can get around this problem by either using Foxtel (equiv Sky) or the digital set top box.

I brought 3 tvs with me and 1 worked and 2 did not. I have all TVs on either set top boxes and Foxtel.

The newer your set the more likely it will work no probs without a set top box, but the extra channels that they provide are good to have.
Old Jan 11th 2007, 11:57 am
Forum Regular

monkeypeaches has a reputation beyond reputemonkeypeaches has a reputation beyond reputemonkeypeaches has a reputation beyond reputemonkeypeaches has a reputation beyond reputemonkeypeaches has a reputation beyond reputemonkeypeaches has a reputation beyond reputemonkeypeaches has a reputation beyond reputemonkeypeaches has a reputation beyond reputemonkeypeaches has a reputation beyond reputemonkeypeaches has a reputation beyond reputemonkeypeaches has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wmoore
But you can get a digital set top box for about $60 anyway so it's not a big issue. You can get a High Definition digibox for $200. All the analogue terrestrial channels are on here plus ABC2, SBS 2 & SBS News. OK you might never watch any of these but they're there!
This might be a stupid question, but are set top boxes over here the same as the ones in Oz? Can we take ours over with us or is it better to buy a new one?

Cheers
Old Jan 11th 2007, 12:00 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by monkeypeaches
This might be a stupid question, but are set top boxes over here the same as the ones in Oz? Can we take ours over with us or is it better to buy a new one?

Cheers
No a UK box won't work here. But like I said, you can pick one up for about $60 anyway so it's hardly a big outlay.
Old Jan 11th 2007, 12:02 pm
What's happening dudes?

Originally Posted by Coulterk
The only thing that does not work between using UK sets in OZ is the sound for analogue channels.
Not strictly true. There is another problem with the tuner where it can't tune any channel properly. I brought 2 TVs and one would only pick up SBS and Briz31 (and not very well). The other would tune the picture for every channel perfectly but no sound.
Old Jan 11th 2007, 12:49 pm
Forum Regular

Coulterk will become famous soon enoughCoulterk will become famous soon enough

Not strictly true. There is another problem with the tuner where it can't tune any channel properly. I brought 2 TVs and one would only pick up SBS and Briz31 (and not very well). The other would tune the picture for every channel perfectly but no sound.
Sounds really odd to me as UK TVs should all pick up picture signals in the UHF and VHF frequency ranges, where yours sounds like it may have been restricted to UHF which is where the channels are that you mention.

Depending on where you are in OZ will dictate what channels you pick up on UHF and VHF frequencies. So in some places if your TV was UHF only, you would also have picked up Channel 10, but in others not.

I think your case is interesting as I thought that all UK sets covered both frequency ranges. At least if not all, then most.
Old Jan 11th 2007, 4:40 pm
Forum Regular

monkeypeaches has a reputation beyond reputemonkeypeaches has a reputation beyond reputemonkeypeaches has a reputation beyond reputemonkeypeaches has a reputation beyond reputemonkeypeaches has a reputation beyond reputemonkeypeaches has a reputation beyond reputemonkeypeaches has a reputation beyond reputemonkeypeaches has a reputation beyond reputemonkeypeaches has a reputation beyond reputemonkeypeaches has a reputation beyond reputemonkeypeaches has a reputation beyond repute

No a UK box won't work here. But like I said, you can pick one up for about $60 anyway so it's hardly a big outlay.
Cool thanks :-)
Old Jan 12th 2007, 12:39 pm
What's happening dudes?

Originally Posted by Coulterk
Sounds really odd to me as UK TVs should all pick up picture signals in the UHF and VHF frequency ranges, where yours sounds like it may have been restricted to UHF which is where the channels are that you mention.

Depending on where you are in OZ will dictate what channels you pick up on UHF and VHF frequencies. So in some places if your TV was UHF only, you would also have picked up Channel 10, but in others not.

I think your case is interesting as I thought that all UK sets covered both frequency ranges. At least if not all, then most.
I thought exactly the same until I saw it with my own eyes I agree it sounds like that particular model only having one of VHF and UHF but not both.

Even stranger though .... I have a PAL I TV tuner in my PC - I have confirmed with Hauppage that it definitely is not compatible with PAL B/G - which wouldn't pick up anything properly in Brisbane but picks up everything but Seven here in Darwin I haven't unpacked the TV mentioned above yet because we treated ourselves to a 42" HD plasma for crimbo but I might just have to plug that in to see what it does get.
Old Jan 12th 2007, 3:11 pm
Forum Regular

Gaz & Sue is a jewel in the roughGaz & Sue is a jewel in the roughGaz & Sue is a jewel in the roughGaz & Sue is a jewel in the rough

Is it also true that uk video's record but when you go to watch them there is no sound?
How do you get round that?
Old Jan 13th 2007, 1:11 pm
What's happening dudes?

Originally Posted by Gaz & Sue
Is it also true that uk video's record but when you go to watch them there is no sound?
How do you get round that?
I recorded Parky interviewing Shane Warne for a mate and then found out that it wouldn't play properly - no sound! I found it in the end but it tooks lots of fiddling with AV cables and settings. Eventually wahcked it out onto DVD for him.

So yes, it's true.
Old Jan 15th 2007, 12:27 pm
Forum Regular

TheAshleys has much to be proud ofTheAshleys has much to be proud ofTheAshleys has much to be proud ofTheAshleys has much to be proud ofTheAshleys has much to be proud ofTheAshleys has much to be proud ofTheAshleys has much to be proud ofTheAshleys has much to be proud ofTheAshleys has much to be proud ofTheAshleys has much to be proud ofTheAshleys has much to be proud of

I thought exactly the same until I saw it with my own eyes I agree it sounds like that particular model only having one of VHF and UHF but not both.

Even stranger though .... I have a PAL I TV tuner in my PC - I have confirmed with Hauppage that it definitely is not compatible with PAL B/G - which wouldn't pick up anything properly in Brisbane but picks up everything but Seven here in Darwin I haven't unpacked the TV mentioned above yet because we treated ourselves to a 42" HD plasma for crimbo but I might just have to plug that in to see what it does get.
I have the same issue. Went to The Good Guys, found a bloke who knew what he was talking about. Told him what tv I had, and he said, "You only get SBS right ?". Apparently, the frequencies are well out for Aus TV, they are not in the range that the unit scans for UK frequencies. The options to fix, get a set top box, or get it re-programmed. I have done the first for now, as the shop that reloads the software is still shut for Xmas.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.