Tvp

Old Nov 9th 2004, 9:32 am
Lanarkshire Lass

sandradee is a jewel in the roughsandradee is a jewel in the roughsandradee is a jewel in the roughsandradee is a jewel in the roughsandradee is a jewel in the rough
Default Tvp

Hi, been living in Perth for 6 months now, and we are having trouble with the veggie stuff. We were really big Quorn eaters in England and miss it terribly. It is getting so bad that after 10 years as veggies we even tried chicken tonight thankfully it was rubbish. So I have heard of TVP and would love to try it but have no idea where to get it from as I have tried most of the local supermarkets. Any help please.
Old Nov 9th 2004, 9:39 am

possoms is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Tvp

Originally Posted by sandradee
Hi, been living in Perth for 6 months now, and we are having trouble with the veggie stuff. We were really big Quorn eaters in England and miss it terribly. It is getting so bad that after 10 years as veggies we even tried chicken tonight thankfully it was rubbish. So I have heard of TVP and would love to try it but have no idea where to get it from as I have tried most of the local supermarkets. Any help please.
Hi there was a long thread about veggie food a few days ago if you a search for: Vegetarian food - Quorn
Old Nov 9th 2004, 9:45 am
Account Closed

eatstatic is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sandradee
When I was living in NSW. I found TVP mince available in some health foods stores and Asian grocery shops. Some Coles and Woolworths sell the "sanitarium" brand stuff in a small cardboard box in the health/allergies section, however sanitarium charge about 5 times more than if you buy a half kilo bag from a health shop. If a health shop does not have it, ask to order it, they used to get it for me!

To cook it you use a cupful of TVP to one and a half to 2 cups of water, simmer it for about 10 mins or until all the water has been absorbed. To give in extra flavor after simmering it fry in a fair bit of oil with onions/garlic etc for at least 5 minutes and then use as a base for your fave chillies, spag bols, stews etc. I personally prefer TVP to Quorn in the aforementioned foods, just make sure you fry it after simmering it and add some nice spices/herbs I am sure you will be a happy bunny!!
Old Nov 9th 2004, 10:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Shellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of light

Hi Sandradee

You have my sympathy. it's bad enough finding veggie food in Melbourne.

I did a search for TVP and it seems to me that you can order it online. This one stocks it http://www.crueltyfreeshop.com.au/

Alternatively, being from South Africa we go to a SA shop quite often and I came across a kosher brand called Tivall, which so far has been the best that I have tasted (I have never been to Perth but I can only assume that there are South African shops in abundance - it may be worth calling them to see if they stock this brand). I have also tried Zoglo's brand which isn't bad. We make do with all the fresh fruit and vegs here, and some really good recipes. I know that pre-prepared meals are so convenient some days though.

I think we will have to make do with the long Melbourne winters, rather than move to Perth.

Good luck
Old Nov 9th 2004, 10:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Shellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks eatstatic, I think I will give it a try . my husband used to love the spag bol I made in the UK so he will be chuffed if I can find an alternative

Originally Posted by eatstatic
When I was living in NSW. I found TVP mince available in some health foods stores and Asian grocery shops. Some Coles and Woolworths sell the "sanitarium" brand stuff in a small cardboard box in the health/allergies section, however sanitarium charge about 5 times more than if you buy a half kilo bag from a health shop. If a health shop does not have it, ask to order it, they used to get it for me!

To cook it you use a cupful of TVP to one and a half to 2 cups of water, simmer it for about 10 mins or until all the water has been absorbed. To give in extra flavor after simmering it fry in a fair bit of oil with onions/garlic etc for at least 5 minutes and then use as a base for your fave chillies, spag bols, stews etc. I personally prefer TVP to Quorn in the aforementioned foods, just make sure you fry it after simmering it and add some nice spices/herbs I am sure you will be a happy bunny!!
Old Nov 9th 2004, 12:20 pm
Lanarkshire Lass

sandradee is a jewel in the roughsandradee is a jewel in the roughsandradee is a jewel in the roughsandradee is a jewel in the roughsandradee is a jewel in the rough

Thanks everybody. You have given me some good ideas, Shellfish & Eatstatic. I will get on to it tomorrow.
Old Nov 9th 2004, 12:21 pm
Lanarkshire Lass

Thanks everybody. You have given me some good ideas, Shellfish & Eatstatic. I will get on to it tomorrow.

ps I did e-mail Quorn a while ago about selling their product here, and they basically gave me the fingers!
Old Nov 9th 2004, 8:52 pm

saraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of light

Hi Sandradee - I used to buy TVP from the health food shop in the Woolstores in Freo (it's the shopping centre where Coles is). You should be able to find it in most health food stores (it's also called soya mince).

Send me a PM if you need any TVP recipe ideas - I've got a cookbook that uses TVP in over half of the recipes...