The TV works

Old Jan 27th 2004, 11:59 pm
HUP
Brain Drained

HUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond repute
Default The TV works

Well our UK TV arrived yesterday. We had purchased an Oz video in preparation for it and when I got home I set about the task of setting it up. It is now working fine. I apologise if I don't use the correct terms. Also if theres any better ways of doing it then please let me know.

Our television has 2 standard scart ports and a component video bit at the front (??? Its the one with the 3 connectors yellow, red and white) at the front. The video we bought came with the choice of a standard ariel connection or component video cable connection. I had with me a doohickey which was basically a scart connector that you can plug in the component video cables to and use the standard scart connection. I plugged this into AV1 slot on the tele. The playstion is connected via a scart cable to AV2.

A couple of questions though (Not to technical please though I'm not a complete technophobe)

1) I also have an Ozzie DVD which has a component video connection. Do I connect the DVD via the, component cable, through to the video or the other way around.
2) Whats the doohickey's name. I'd recommend bringing one for connecting the video

I'd also recommend buying a multi region DVD in the UK beacuse you can get it with the scart connection (This is only if you are bringing a UK TV though)

Apologies for any factual inaccuracies but I'm sure someone will correct them but hey my big screen TV works . Shame about the Oz TV though
Old Jan 29th 2004, 12:30 pm
Sun Dodger

Bluerobot is just really niceBluerobot is just really niceBluerobot is just really niceBluerobot is just really niceBluerobot is just really niceBluerobot is just really niceBluerobot is just really niceBluerobot is just really nice
Default Re: The TV works

Originally posted by HUP
Well our UK TV arrived yesterday. We had purchased an Oz video in preparation for it and when I got home I set about the task of setting it up. It is now working fine. I apologise if I don't use the correct terms. Also if theres any better ways of doing it then please let me know.

Our television has 2 standard scart ports and a component video bit at the front (??? Its the one with the 3 connectors yellow, red and white) at the front. The video we bought came with the choice of a standard ariel connection or component video cable connection. I had with me a doohickey which was basically a scart connector that you can plug in the component video cables to and use the standard scart connection. I plugged this into AV1 slot on the tele. The playstion is connected via a scart cable to AV2.

A couple of questions though (Not to technical please though I'm not a complete technophobe)

1) I also have an Ozzie DVD which has a component video connection. Do I connect the DVD via the, component cable, through to the video or the other way around.
2) Whats the doohickey's name. I'd recommend bringing one for connecting the video

I'd also recommend buying a multi region DVD in the UK beacuse you can get it with the scart connection (This is only if you are bringing a UK TV though)

Apologies for any factual inaccuracies but I'm sure someone will correct them but hey my big screen TV works . Shame about the Oz TV though
Hi Hup, how's the job going?

1) - not a clue mate, but shouldn't need to go through the VCR unless you need to tape from it (I think).

2) - not a clue mate - but no need to bring one, you can buy them here, BigW/Harvey Norman sell them - not cheap though, I can't remember their price, but I never priced them up in the UK, so no comparison. They usually come with video cameras, mine did.

Couldn't beleive it with my TV a 1 year old Samsung widescreen. Prior to leaving I tried to set it up for Aussie TV, but wouldn't have it - the option was disabled. When it arrived here, I plugged it in & turned it on. The screen was all over the place - something to do with north/south polarisation I think, so I feared the worst. Came back 10 minutes later & did an auto install & everything was hunky-dory, sound, picture OK - no VCR needed etc. Result.

Shame the is nothing but crap on the telly. It makes me laugh, the Aussies are into Plasma screens & LCD TV's in a big way. They must just be for ornamental/Kudos purposes, they can't be used much.
Old Jan 29th 2004, 12:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

S Oldfield is an unknown quantity at this point

We have a rather old tv, so there is no way I would consider bringing it, but the kids have nearly new portables.
I therefore presume they would be fine?
Old Jan 29th 2004, 5:42 pm
Forum Regular

Whingin Pom is just really niceWhingin Pom is just really niceWhingin Pom is just really niceWhingin Pom is just really niceWhingin Pom is just really niceWhingin Pom is just really niceWhingin Pom is just really niceWhingin Pom is just really niceWhingin Pom is just really nice
Default Big TV

Hi, I have a Toshiba rear projector thats about two years old.
Does anybody know if it will work in OZ or if there is a way of finding out.

Cheers.
Old Jan 30th 2004, 12:57 am

saraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of light

I think this is the "doohickey" you were talking about (Scart connecting kit, GBP9.99 at Argos).

http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/st...roductId=90402
Old Jan 30th 2004, 1:09 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by HUP

You connect the DVD output direct to the TV. What you call component output is actually something else (I am being pedantic but true component output has 5 cables). You can get them down any hifi electrical shop and they will have the yellow, red and white(sometimes black) connector.

You should also be able to connect the VCR to the TV directly using the same method if the TV has 2 "component" inputs.
Old Jan 30th 2004, 12:22 pm
Forum Regular

graham__smith has a spectacular aura aboutgraham__smith has a spectacular aura aboutgraham__smith has a spectacular aura about

The type of connection you are talking about is composite video.
The connector type is called a phono or cinch connector.

I thought about taking my TVs as well using a VCR,Cable Box or Satellite Decoder as its source.

This means you are basically using the TV as a monitor. You are not using the internal tuner therefore it doesnt matter if the tuner can receive Australian Broadcasts.

Thanks for the post I am going to take my TVs now.
Old Jan 30th 2004, 12:36 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by bondipom
You connect the DVD output direct to the TV. What you call component output is actually something else (I am being pedantic but true component output has 5 cables). You can get them down any hifi electrical shop and they will have the yellow, red and white(sometimes black) connector.

You should also be able to connect the VCR to the TV directly using the same method if the TV has 2 "component" inputs.
That's right, true component video is 5 cables. I have my DVD connected via CV & the picture is fantastic.