Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

TV, Video, DVD and Xbox

TV, Video, DVD and Xbox

Old Jul 29th 2004, 6:54 pm
Ian ORourke

Default TV, Video, DVD and Xbox

Strange questions about some electronic goods (tax aside for now).

I'm not taking the TV because I've been told even though both systems are PAL, they are slightly different versions of PAL so my TV will not work.

I'm not taking the video because it was £50

I was going to take my DVD player, it is multi-region so it can play Australian DVD's, etc. But will that UK DVD player deliver its signal okay to an Australian TV?

I also going to ship the Xbox, but will this deliver its signal to an Australian TV, and will games bought in Australia work on it?

Please not all the above is subject to the shipping qoute which is coming in a week

Old Jul 29th 2004, 8:19 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: TV, Video, DVD and Xbox

Originally posted by Ian ORourke
Strange questions about some electronic goods (tax aside for now).

I'm not taking the TV because I've been told even though both systems are PAL, they are slightly different versions of PAL so my TV will not work.

I'm not taking the video because it was £50

I was going to take my DVD player, it is multi-region so it can play Australian DVD's, etc. But will that UK DVD player deliver its signal okay to an Australian TV?

I also going to ship the Xbox, but will this deliver its signal to an Australian TV, and will games bought in Australia work on it?

Please not all the above is subject to the shipping qoute which is coming in a week
The TV might be OK then again it might not If you're not taking your VCR then buy a new Aussie VCR and plug it into your telly - problem solved!
If the DVD and the X-Box plug in via SCART, then there is no problem. It is only the modulated sound (over the airwaves) that differs between the two flavours of PAL.
Old Jul 29th 2004, 8:35 pm
99.99999% there !

EssexNobby is an unknown quantity at this point

I stand to be corrected on this but I believe that all DVD players connect to TV's using seperate audio and video signals, whether this be via a scart lead, component video or seperate compistive audio and video leads. I don't know of any DVD player that outputs an RF signal (i.e. down a standard coax aerial lead).

That being the case then Yes, the DVD player will work fine in Aus.
Old Jul 29th 2004, 8:38 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by EssexNobby
I stand to be corrected on this but I believe that all DVD players connect to TV's using seperate audio and video signals, whether this be via a scart lead, component video or seperate compistive audio and video leads. I don't know of any DVD player that outputs an RF signal (i.e. down a standard coax aerial lead).

That being the case then Yes, the DVD player will work fine in Aus.
:lecture: Sorry to be the one but ... I have a cheapo player that has an RF connection, though it also has Scart so I don't actually use it :lecture:
Old Jul 29th 2004, 8:42 pm
Ian ORourke

My DVD connects by SCART, I'll check my XBOX put I'm pretty sure it does as it's on an AV channel - which are the SCART sockets.

Anyone have any idea about Australian Xbox games and XBox Live?

(I've emailed the microsoft tech support, but I wonder whether a response will be forthecoming).

Old Jul 29th 2004, 8:44 pm
What's happening dudes?

My DVD connects by SCART, I'll check my XBOX put I'm pretty sure it does as it's on an AV channel - which are the SCART sockets.

Anyone have any idea about Australian Xbox games and XBox Live?

(I've emailed the microsoft tech support, but I wonder whether a response will be forthecoming).
I didn't think XBox Live mattered where you were
Mind you, <looks shiftily> you know you can get them chipped to work on 'unofficial' sites don't you?
I'm pretty sure that the games will just work, they aren't region coded like films.
Old Jul 29th 2004, 8:50 pm
Ian ORourke

Originally posted by wmoore
I didn't think XBox Live mattered where you were
You've confused me?

I actually don't mind play for Xbox Live - it's the reason I have the Xbox. I have a community of Friends that follow me from game to game and we have a good laugh. The Timezone will make it more difficult of course, but we shall see (and possible lag).

Xbox Live is worth the cost I tend to find, and I buy so few games it's not worth getting it chipped - I'd only have access to hundreds of illegal games I'd not play

Old Jul 29th 2004, 8:59 pm
What's happening dudes?

You've confused me?
Think I confused myself After re-reading your original post, ... erm, just ignore my last one
Old Jul 29th 2004, 9:11 pm
Forum Regular

jrsuk73 has a spectacular aura aboutjrsuk73 has a spectacular aura aboutjrsuk73 has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: TV, Video, DVD and Xbox

Originally posted by wmoore
The TV might be OK then again it might not If you're not taking your VCR then buy a new Aussie VCR and plug it into your telly - problem solved!
If the DVD and the X-Box plug in via SCART, then there is no problem. It is only the modulated sound (over the airwaves) that differs between the two flavours of PAL.
I heard that you can buy a adapter that you plug into the wall then plug your tv into that which will make it work allright also depending on how new your tv is you have the option to change your frequencey via the language option this works on dvd/video combies aswell.Dont quote me on these as im not to sure on how acurate my source of information is?
Old Jul 29th 2004, 9:12 pm
Forum Regular

Muzzman is an unknown quantity at this point

Just a thought - we are taking our TV knowing that it is pretty certain that it won't work, but knowing that it will work with the Playstation (that solves the Xbox problem).

Muzzman
Old Jul 29th 2004, 9:16 pm
Ian ORourke

We shall see, for all I know, it may not be cost effective to ship the DVD and Xbox. I have no idea, should do soon though.