Reload this Page >

Tv sets in Australia

Tv sets in Australia

Old May 14th 2011, 3:22 pm
Forum Regular

weezypenguin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Tv sets in Australia

SO we are geeting closer to our dream.
We moved from Manchester to Canada 8 years ago and know that it takes alot to set up all the creature comforts of home.
So i just wondered if my Samsung Pasma TV will work in Australia? i looked at the back and it has an interchangeable power cord. And i have seen some products before come with different cords for differnet countries.
So if any one cound answer this that would be great.
Thanks
Old May 14th 2011, 3:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

mvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to all
Default Re: Tv sets in Australia

Australia uses 240 volt 50 hz and Canada uses 110Volt 60hz so I would say no the tv will not work unless you can get it adapted.

Would your tv work in the Uk if not it won't work in Oz.

Why not contact Samsung and ask, just in case.

You can pick up a decent 42" Lcd/Plasma tv in Oz for around $700-800

Last edited by mvagusta; May 14th 2011 at 3:43 pm.
Old May 14th 2011, 5:12 pm
Forum Regular

The problem is we have 5 of the tv's. Family, room kids etc.
I bought them in Canada. Also spoke to Samsung and they were usless.
I did have an old tv from Uk when i first moved out (old CRT Style) that worked with an adapter mainky because it need a higher voltage.
That actually dies only last christmas.
So i was thniking if it could take a 110v to 240v i am be ok, bit like a computer does.
s far as the signal goes because everyone uses set tip boxes i found that the tv will accpet a HDMI or similar connection.
I look forward to little more feed back,
Thanls everyone
Old May 14th 2011, 5:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

mvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to all

I'm no electronics guru but going 240v to 110v sometimes works for some appliances, laptops are one of these due to the transformer normally supplied with them.

I would suspect that going 110v to 240v will probably fry the electronics inside unless some sort of power converter was used.
You may be able to find a power converter in Tandy or an electronics shop and then all you would have to do is cut off the Canadian plug and fit it with an Oz plug.

Why not search out an electronics forum on the net and ask the question there. Someone will surley know.
Old May 14th 2011, 6:57 pm
Forum Regular

manumani is just really nicemanumani is just really nicemanumani is just really nicemanumani is just really nicemanumani is just really nicemanumani is just really nicemanumani is just really nicemanumani is just really nice

Most of the electronic equipment now-a-days has universal voltage . Check at the back of the TVs. There should be a small rectangular section which lists voltage (110-220V). If that's the case, it will work.

You dont have to worry about NTSC / PAL if it is an HDTV, connected over HDMI cable.

If you are handy with tools, and if the TV is out of warranty, you could open it up to see the power unit inside, or take it to a repair shop to get it checked.

Alternately, you could buy step-down transformers (220 to 110 V for your TVs. I have a Bose system purchased from US which runs fine on the step-down transformer.

Last edited by manumani; May 14th 2011 at 6:59 pm. Reason: added a point
Old May 14th 2011, 6:58 pm
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by weezypenguin
SO we are geeting closer to our dream.
We moved from Manchester to Canada 8 years ago and know that it takes alot to set up all the creature comforts of home.
So i just wondered if my Samsung Pasma TV will work in Australia? i looked at the back and it has an interchangeable power cord. And i have seen some products before come with different cords for differnet countries.
So if any one cound answer this that would be great.
Thanks
if you quote the model nbr someone can lookfor you. most have interchangeable power and it may even have a little switch to switch them from 110 to 240 but quote the model nbr and someone can google it for you
Old May 15th 2011, 12:29 am
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute

why not sell them in canada and buy new ones in australia?
Old May 15th 2011, 1:36 am
Forum Regular

I did think about that, but you never get the value back and they most of them I only got at Xmas (sales etc).
Plus a;ready paying to ship some stuff so TV do not take up much space.
Maybe some off you already at there could give me some good websites so i can start getting an idea of cost for epectronis and furniture etc
many thanks
Old May 15th 2011, 1:40 am
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by weezypenguin
I did think about that, but you never get the value back and they most of them I only got at Xmas (sales etc).
Plus a;ready paying to ship some stuff so TV do not take up much space.
Maybe some off you already at there could give me some good websites so i can start getting an idea of cost for epectronis and furniture etc
many thanks
try

http://www.jbhifi.com.au/
http://www.harveynorman.com.au/
http://www.binglee.com.au/
http://www.domayneonline.com.au/
Old May 15th 2011, 3:45 am
BE Enthusiast

denzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond repute

DO NOT try Harvey Norman. Bloody expensive!!!!!

Check the input label on the back to see if it is variable input? Most portable devices like laptops have a transformer that can use different voltages and frequency due to the internal DC control circuitry. Unlike CRt I believe Plasma and LCD use DC so that means you can change the power supply for the correct one if needed. again for international sales it is generally cheaper to sell with a universal PSU and just give the correctedly plugged power lead
Old May 15th 2011, 3:14 pm
Forum Regular

daveandsarah is just really nicedaveandsarah is just really nicedaveandsarah is just really nicedaveandsarah is just really nicedaveandsarah is just really nicedaveandsarah is just really nicedaveandsarah is just really nicedaveandsarah is just really nice

Power adaptability aside.
I also understand that they run on different broadcast systems, so they may not work anyway.
I know mine (LG LCD) doesn't have Australia as an option in the set up menu, so isn't likely to work - unless anyone knows if they can be made to work when we get there ??
Old May 15th 2011, 3:23 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by daveandsarah
I also understand that they run on different broadcast systems, so they may not work anyway.
I know mine (LG LCD) doesn't have Australia as an option in the set up menu, so isn't likely to work - unless anyone knows if they can be made to work when we get there ??
Its a question which comes up very frequently on here, admittedly usually with UK tvs rather than Canadian. The usual consensus seems to be some people get theirs to work, some don't. There's no way of knowing for sure it seems until you actually get here and try them\.
Old May 15th 2011, 3:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

denzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond repute

If it's got the std HDMI and RCA inputs then should be OK. I think the PAL and NTSC applies to the TV tuner unless the screen is actually made with the lesser resolution lines of NTSC?

The other thing to do is net search the Canadian and Oz TV network freq range and if similar you should be OK but again if you buy an Oz set top box then you just use the HDMI or RCA input to view things
Old May 15th 2011, 4:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by daveandsarah
Just buy an Oz freeview box and it should work. My son in law took his old sony crt tv and it worked fine with a freeview box.
Old May 16th 2011, 12:05 am
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

Alternatively, just face it - Australian TV is totally utterly mindbogglingly shit. Better off leaving the damn things behind and NOT buying new ones!

(Why anyone would want MULTIPLE Tv's in a house is completely beyond my comprehension! - I used to have a spare TV in the cupboard, just in case I wanted to put one in another room but decided it was taking up valuable storage space so threw it out!)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.