Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

TV Programmes and TV Guide

TV Programmes and TV Guide

Old Feb 20th 2006, 4:09 am
Just Joined

TonyMc is a jewel in the roughTonyMc is a jewel in the roughTonyMc is a jewel in the roughTonyMc is a jewel in the rough
Default TV Programmes and TV Guide

Just wanted to ask if anyone else thinks the quality of the TV content is poor here in Oz, and does anyone know what time or if they have a watershed here? Sometimes we find it hard to find a programme around 6.00pm that is suitable for family viewing (youngest is 6 years old). We dont really watch a lot of TV but it would be nice to watch a bit of quality now and again.

Dont know if its common knowledge but I found a good free listings site here

http://www.yourtv.com.au/guide/index.cfm

Tony
Old Feb 20th 2006, 4:49 am
She's Diddy, He's Not

diddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: TV Programmes and TV Guide

Originally Posted by TonyMc
Just wanted to ask if anyone else thinks the quality of the TV content is poor here in Oz, and does anyone know what time or if they have a watershed here? Sometimes we find it hard to find a programme around 6.00pm that is suitable for family viewing (youngest is 6 years old). We dont really watch a lot of TV but it would be nice to watch a bit of quality now and again.

Tony
I don't think they have a watershed here. It seems that if you say the rating beforehand even if it's for mature audiences then you can stick it on whenever you like.
Old Feb 20th 2006, 5:17 am
ABCDiamond

Tony
ABC is probably best for Kids, alhough 6-7pm is normally News / Current Affairs time.

That TV guide you linked, is probably the best one. I use it all the time

Old Feb 20th 2006, 7:42 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

"Frazier" has a warning that it's "parental guidance recommended" so what the really nasty programmes are I hate to think!
Old Feb 20th 2006, 8:11 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

You could always buy a subscription from that nice Mr Murdoch and watch a documentary together on the National Geographic or Discovery channels. Failing that, they have download (torrent) links to a vast number of documentaries here.
Old Feb 20th 2006, 9:27 am
Love Tiffany's

Welshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud of

Tony
Oh the TV is total shite except Desperate Housewives of course! Lucky we're too busy to watch TV most of the time!

I have difficulty finding something for my son to watch too..he is 4. I don't let him turn the TV on now unless its v.early morning when ABC Kids is on. I know that's safe at least!!
Old Feb 20th 2006, 9:34 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Welshie
Oh the TV is total shite except Desperate Housewives of course! Lucky we're too busy to watch TV most of the time!

I have difficulty finding something for my son to watch too..he is 4. I don't let him turn the TV on now unless its v.early morning when ABC Kids is on. I know that's safe at least!!
You should be OK between 3pm and 6pm too
3.00pm - Bananas in Pyjamas
3.05pm - Bear in the Big Blue House
3.30pm - Play School
3.55pm - Postman Pat
4.17pm - Roobarb & Custard Too
4.25pm - The Gnoufs
4.35pm - Tracey McBean
4.50pm - Planet Sketch
5.00pm - The Fairly OddParents
5.20pm - Powers
5.45pm - Girl Stuff, Boy Stuff

5 minutes to go and it's ............. Desperate Housewives

Old Feb 21st 2006, 5:51 am
Love Tiffany's

Welshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
You should be OK between 3pm and 6pm too
3.00pm - Bananas in Pyjamas
3.05pm - Bear in the Big Blue House
3.30pm - Play School
3.55pm - Postman Pat
4.17pm - Roobarb & Custard Too
4.25pm - The Gnoufs
4.35pm - Tracey McBean
4.50pm - Planet Sketch
5.00pm - The Fairly OddParents
5.20pm - Powers
5.45pm - Girl Stuff, Boy Stuff

5 minutes to go and it's ............. Desperate Housewives
Thanks for that!!
Old Feb 21st 2006, 6:02 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Welshie
Thanks for that!!
For a youngster into turning TVs on themselves, I would also suggest a timer switch for the TV, so that it cannot be turned on between 12noon and 3pm.

With Ch 7 between 12noon-2pm they normally have M rated films at that time on Mon-Fri. 2pm-3pm is often The Bill or Blue Heelers, both of which can be M rated.

Old Feb 21st 2006, 6:32 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: TV Programmes and TV Guide

Just wanted to ask if anyone else thinks the quality of the TV content is poor here in Oz, and does anyone know what time or if they have a watershed here?
Yes it's poor, but OTOH it's free.

The ABC simply does not have the vast resources of the Beeb, and can't be expected to compete at the same level.

Don't think we have an official watershed, but "adult" viewing is usually 8:30 onwards.
Old Feb 21st 2006, 9:16 am
BE Forum Addict

manxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wol
"Frazier" has a warning that it's "parental guidance recommended" so what the really nasty programmes are I hate to think!
I didnt know Frazer has his own show on Ozzie TV - does he dress up as Spiderman in it?