Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

TV download recommendations/shows missed the 1st time around

TV download recommendations/shows missed the 1st time around

Old Jan 8th 2011, 6:04 am
BE Forum Addict

freebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond repute
Default TV download recommendations/shows missed the 1st time around

We're currently have "The West Wing", "The Wire" and "Band of Brothers" on the go and are enjoying them (especially the Wire), previously we've got through:

Weeds (Lost interest in S4 but the first 3 where good)
Breaking Bad (possibly the best TV show I've ever downloaded, but not for everyone)
House M.D. (Hugh Laurie, who knew?? )
Frasier (all 11 series, over about 3 years)

Planning to make a start on the Soprano's soon, I'm sure there are heaps more but these are the ones that spring to mind. We don't watch too much standard TV here and will be paring back the foxtel sub as soon as we can (iPlayer has occasional gems too, Mongrels was beyond description).

So, which old TV shows have you discovered recently?

Last edited by freebo; Jan 8th 2011 at 6:19 am.
Old Jan 8th 2011, 6:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: TV download recommendations/shows missed the 1st time around

My favourites for download at the minute are Supernatural, Dexter and Big Bang Theory. I have all of them up to the latest US episodes

I also liked Benidorm (although someone bought me all of these on DVD) and Six Feet Under was fabulous (Yes, I like weird lol)

I did download all of the wire in the blood shows from the UK too. Rather enjoyed all of them Cracker was next on the list, but I got distracted with Supernatural
Old Jan 8th 2011, 6:17 am
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

Dexter
Breaking bad
Sopranos
Survivors (BBC 2009)

All fantastic drama, or for something lighter
How I met your mother
Coupling
Big bang theory

And if you're into historical war stuff
Band of brothers
The Pacific

Both awesome.
Old Jan 8th 2011, 9:22 am
BE Enthusiast

mulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond repute

Just watching Charlie Jade a Canadian / South African production syfy
Collision and Grand Designs S10 also Little Crackers
Old Jan 8th 2011, 12:46 pm
Forum Regular

saintstu is just really nicesaintstu is just really nicesaintstu is just really nicesaintstu is just really nicesaintstu is just really nicesaintstu is just really nicesaintstu is just really nicesaintstu is just really nice

Just finished Arrested Development (US Comedy) which was excellent

Have you reached Season 4 of The Wire yet? It's the best TV season I've ever seen...

But The Soprano's is tied as the best show ever. You'll love it.

I'd also recommend The Tudors and 24.
Old Jan 8th 2011, 3:52 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Currently in Redmond, Washington, returning to Sydney 2013!!
SamG will become famous soon enough

If you'd like an excellent Aussie recommendation then check out Love My Way. It's 3 series made in 2004-2007. Not sure how available they are on download as I was given the dvds but I rate it amongst the best telly I've watched.

If you like The Wire then I'd recommend David Simon's next project Generation Kill. He also did a series called Treme last year which I haven't watched yet but imagine it's also great

Latest HBO big series is Boardwalk Empire - fantastic. Also Showtime's The Big C is excellent.

Not sure how long you've been in Aus but if you want some UK stuff then we're enjoying An Idiot Abroad at the mo, plus there were some cracking Xmas dramas including Toast, When Eric Met Ernie, Zen, Upstairs Downstairs.

Mad Men? Don't know if you've seen any of that. In Aus it's usually on SBS but Season 4 has just finished in the US. It's all quality stuff.

Hope that's enough to keep you busy
Old Jan 8th 2011, 6:57 pm
Prepare yourself Brisbane

Dave.McLeod is a jewel in the roughDave.McLeod is a jewel in the roughDave.McLeod is a jewel in the roughDave.McLeod is a jewel in the roughDave.McLeod is a jewel in the rough

Dexter is by far the best I've seen in a long time.

Mad Men is good too....!

Entourage is meant to be okay but haven't seen it.
Old Jan 8th 2011, 7:04 pm
HUP
Brain Drained

HUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond repute

The Shield
Burn Notice
Old Jan 8th 2011, 9:11 pm
Forum Regular

oz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud of

as a fan of `breaking bad` and `the wire` you may like these
Sons of Anarchy
Brotherhood*
Boardwalk empire*
the Corner (six episode pilot for the wire)

bit of history? check out
Deadwood*
Rome*
the Tudors
Spartacus, blood on the sand

Horror, Vampire n Zombies?
True blood*
the gates
The walking dead*
Harpers island*

From the UK
murphys law
spooks
strike back
The Inbetweeners (comedy)

bold* - got totaly absorbed into these and didnt watch anything else until the end (same as breaking bad and the wire)
Old Jan 17th 2011, 3:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

irishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wendy
My favourites for download at the minute are Supernatural, Dexter and Big Bang Theory. I have all of them up to the latest US episodes

I also liked Benidorm (although someone bought me all of these on DVD) and Six Feet Under was fabulous (Yes, I like weird lol)

I did download all of the wire in the blood shows from the UK too. Rather enjoyed all of them Cracker was next on the list, but I got distracted with Supernatural
How are you downloading the Us shows.Thanks
Old Jan 17th 2011, 3:56 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Great British period drama with some well known faces including Dame Maggie Smith .... Downton Abbey.

First series was very popular so a second series is coming out this year.
Old Jan 17th 2011, 7:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

New UK series (ony 3 episodes) Zen is quite good (well, the adorable Rufus Sewell always is worth watching LOL) made by the same team that made Wallander with Kenneth Branagh - also a good watch.

I'm happy with any missed episodes of Time Team, Inspector Lynley Mysteries, Inspector Alleyn, Pie in the Sky.

Just about to start on The Wire but I need time to concentrate on it.
Old Jan 17th 2011, 10:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

mulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond repute

Kidnap and Ransom looks a quality thriller , really liked the scripting of Zen , very understated humour.
Old Jan 18th 2011, 12:56 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quoll
New UK series (ony 3 episodes) Zen is quite good (well, the adorable Rufus Sewell always is worth watching LOL) made by the same team that made Wallander with Kenneth Branagh - also a good watch.

I'm happy with any missed episodes of Time Team, Inspector Lynley Mysteries, Inspector Alleyn, Pie in the Sky.

Just about to start on The Wire but I need time to concentrate on it.
I tried Zen but other than Mr Sewell and the scenery I couldn't get on with the plot.
Old Jan 18th 2011, 12:57 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
Great British period drama with some well known faces including Dame Maggie Smith .... Downton Abbey.

First series was very popular so a second series is coming out this year.
Enjoyed that. Just started downloading the new series of Lark Rise to Candleford.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.