Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

TV Compatability from UK to Oz Help Please?

TV Compatability from UK to Oz Help Please?

Old Aug 25th 2010, 1:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

pomerz is a glorious beacon of lightpomerz is a glorious beacon of lightpomerz is a glorious beacon of lightpomerz is a glorious beacon of lightpomerz is a glorious beacon of lightpomerz is a glorious beacon of lightpomerz is a glorious beacon of lightpomerz is a glorious beacon of lightpomerz is a glorious beacon of lightpomerz is a glorious beacon of lightpomerz is a glorious beacon of light
Default TV Compatability from UK to Oz Help Please?

Hi All
I have the chance to buy a 40" Samsung telly here before coming over it will be full HD in 1080 but wondered if there would be a compatability problem with systems already there.....Sorry to be dim on this but i have read something in the past regarding TV's in the UK not making the switch in the past?

Also the Price is the equivalent to $755 again is it worth getting here or will it cost more there

Any advice appreciated

M
Old Aug 25th 2010, 10:56 pm
Account Closed

PaulandNic is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: TV Compatability from UK to Oz Help Please?

Originally Posted by pomerz
[F]Hi All
I have the chance to buy a 40" Samsung telly here before coming over it will be full HD in 1080 but wondered if there would be a compatability problem with systems already there.....Sorry to be dim on this but i have read something in the past regarding TV's in the UK not making the switch in the past?

Also the Price is the equivalent to $755 again is it worth getting here or will it cost more there

Any advice appreciated

M
[/FONT]
Haven't looked at prices for a while but we bought a LG 42" a year or so ago for $800, must be cheaper now.

Prob worth noting too that most shipping companies won't insure plasma / LCD panels. We shipped with John Mason and altho they made a lovely wooden crate for ours, it wasn't gonna be insured for the trip.

Personally i'd wait and buy here.
Old Aug 26th 2010, 1:28 am
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

Hi All

Any advice appreciated

M
check out jbhifi.com.au for pricing they are ballpark good prices.
your tv will work there have been issues with older TV's and sound transmission but those go away with a set-top-box or foxtel (which is our Sky equivelant) - on a new tv like yours the sound wont be an issue

if it was me - I'd buy one here because you wont get your container for 8 weeks or so and it'll be 'shipped' so you'll be panicking about it. At least if you buy one here you can have it immediately to watch all the great asutralian TV programmes.
Old Aug 26th 2010, 2:04 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by spalen
to watch all the great asutralian TV programmes.
Old Aug 26th 2010, 2:19 am
Forum Regular

Huggkat is just really niceHuggkat is just really niceHuggkat is just really niceHuggkat is just really niceHuggkat is just really niceHuggkat is just really niceHuggkat is just really niceHuggkat is just really niceHuggkat is just really nice

Hi,

We brought our TV from the UK because it was still fairly new when we moved, however, we had to buy a Digibox to view any channels (because we don't have Foxtel at the moment) and we still cannot get Channel 7 - but don't know if that's more to do with the area we are living in or the TV.

Anyway, I guess my answer would be to buy one here as there seems to be some great deals on at the moment.

Kat
Old Aug 26th 2010, 2:57 am
Forum Regular

Rod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to all

this is confusing me also. i read on some forums that if your tv has freeview built in - has to be B/G compatible (whatever that means) to display OZ tv though.

im sure most newer tv's are
Old Aug 26th 2010, 2:59 am
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rod-Helen-Poppy
this is confusing me also. i read on some forums that if your tv has freeview built in - has to be B/G compatible (whatever that means) to display OZ tv though.

im sure most newer tv's are
B/G is the sound - thats precisely the issue. Aus Sound is broadcast on G UK is broadcast on B (or vice versa ) so you get pictures - but no sound.

Im not sure about freeview specifically but worst case scenario is buying a set-top-box decoder Im not sure freeview decoders work in aus.

By using a set-top-box decoder - you bypass the TV's audio decoder (B or G) and use the set-top-box as the audio input for the TV so it fixes the sound problem.

At least thats what was general consensus after reading the bazillionsof times this has come up on htis forum :-)
Old Aug 26th 2010, 4:40 am
Forum Regular

crikey is a jewel in the roughcrikey is a jewel in the roughcrikey is a jewel in the roughcrikey is a jewel in the rough

We bought over a Toshiba & a Sony LCD TV and shippers are happy if you have the original packaging but as said if not they charge for a wooden crate or you can take the risk and let them wrap it & ship without insurance cover.

I researched around the forum & found that setting the country code to Germany often works and on both of my TVs that is the case - we have got a digi box however to watch HD TV ( not sure if a UK TV with HD tuner would work though ).

I am drawn to JB hifi stores like a moth & have to say that TVs seem quite cheap here so as someone else has said wait & buy one when you arrive to save yourself - container space, worry & possible import fees and of course it would be difficult to get a warranty repair if it went wrong.
Old Aug 26th 2010, 4:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PaulandNic
I was assuming his comment was very much tongue in cheek!
Old Aug 26th 2010, 5:18 am
BE Enthusiast

garyp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of light

I was told by many that UK TV's would not work in OZ,including shippers. brought them anyway and both work fine here. one has built in digi channels and the other one was about 6 years old usually with new TV's you can set the country on the menu.
just bought a new 40 inch LCD from Harvey Norman for $690
Old Aug 26th 2010, 5:38 am
Forum Regular

Iando has a brilliant futureIando has a brilliant futureIando has a brilliant futureIando has a brilliant futureIando has a brilliant futureIando has a brilliant futureIando has a brilliant futureIando has a brilliant future

I happened to have a jb hifi offer mailing next ot me as i read this
$1898 for a 40" LED LCD Egde 1080p 100Hz
I have no idea if the one in theUK is the same spec but if it is, I would get the UK one for a $1000 saving as it wont cost that to ship, Just buy a cheap new or 2nd hand one when you get here for a few months
Old Aug 26th 2010, 5:46 am
ah-beng

Originally Posted by Iando
I happened to have a jb hifi offer mailing next ot me as i read this
$1898 for a 40" LED LCD Egde 1080p 100Hz
I have no idea if the one in theUK is the same spec but if it is, I would get the UK one for a $1000 saving as it wont cost that to ship, Just buy a cheap new or 2nd hand one when you get here for a few months
thats a full HD 1080p - you can get "HD" for a lot less - like 700$

in fact - 50" samsung HD is less than 1K here
Old Aug 26th 2010, 7:00 am
BE Enthusiast

pomerz is a glorious beacon of lightpomerz is a glorious beacon of lightpomerz is a glorious beacon of lightpomerz is a glorious beacon of lightpomerz is a glorious beacon of lightpomerz is a glorious beacon of lightpomerz is a glorious beacon of lightpomerz is a glorious beacon of lightpomerz is a glorious beacon of lightpomerz is a glorious beacon of lightpomerz is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by spalen
check out jbhifi.com.au for pricing they are ballpark good prices.
your tv will work there have been issues with older TV's and sound transmission but those go away with a set-top-box or foxtel (which is our Sky equivelant) - on a new tv like yours the sound wont be an issue

if it was me - I'd buy one here because you wont get your container for 8 weeks or so and it'll be 'shipped' so you'll be panicking about it. At least if you buy one here you can have it immediately to watch all the great asutralian TV programmes.
Thanks all for your views and on reflection will hold off buying a new one here and get one 'there' after a little while although after reading the recent thread on Perth burglaries may bring some bolts and chains to firmly screw everything down along with my 9 iron just in case any little tinker tries a removal
Old Aug 27th 2010, 12:06 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Sally Simpson
I was assuming his comment was very much tongue in cheek!
Mine too!
Old Aug 27th 2010, 12:08 am
Account Closed

Thanks all for your views and on reflection will hold off buying a new one here and get one 'there' after a little while although after reading the recent thread on Perth burglaries may bring some bolts and chains to firmly screw everything down along with my 9 iron just in case any little tinker tries a removal
That'll be all them poms over there! ...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.