Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

TV Channels on your PC

TV Channels on your PC

Old Jan 14th 2007, 6:30 am
Banned

Dom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud of
Default TV Channels on your PC

We're renting at present and unable to get FoxTel. If I have to watch anymore Aussie TV, I may have to resort to throwing me new plasma on the tip - worse still, then converse with Mrs Pom of an evening.

I notice there are quite a few websites offering access to TV channels on your PC - for a nominal fee of course.

Does anyone have any experience of this? If so, is the quality of sound/picture and choice worth the hassle?

Thanks.

Dom
Old Jan 14th 2007, 7:16 am
Account Closed

The OH is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: TV Channels on your PC

Originally Posted by Dom the Pom
We're renting at present and unable to get FoxTel. If I have to watch anymore Aussie TV, I may have to resort to throwing me new plasma on the tip - worse still, then converse with Mrs Pom of an evening.

I notice there are quite a few websites offering access to TV channels on your PC - for a nominal fee of course.

Does anyone have any experience of this? If so, is the quality of sound/picture and choice worth the hassle?

Thanks.

Dom
Your not on your own Dom, going through the same frustration bloody ads, and Mrs OH

not yet found a solution, but you will need broadband, anyway, heres a link you may find useful:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=417971

HTH
Old Jan 14th 2007, 7:18 am

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks.

Dom
You can get foxtel at a rental, just may cost a few dollars to get it setup.
Old Jan 14th 2007, 8:28 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks.

Dom
I've had Foxtel / Austar installed at my last 2 rentals. Have you actually asked if there's a problem or are you just assuming?
Old Jan 14th 2007, 11:29 am
Banned

Dom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by wmoore
I've had Foxtel / Austar installed at my last 2 rentals. Have you actually asked if there's a problem or are you just assuming?
I'm assuming. But there's a huge ask I'm needing to ask of my landlord next week, namely; "when our dog comes out of Byford quarantine centre at the end of the month, can we keep him at the property?"

So feel asking to have the nice people from Foxtel around hammering, drilling and erecting a satellite dish at the same time might be pushing my luck.
Old Jan 14th 2007, 11:30 am
Banned

Originally Posted by The OH
Your not on your own Dom, going through the same frustration bloody ads, and Mrs OH

not yet found a solution, but you will need broadband, anyway, heres a link you may find useful:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=417971

HTH
Thanks mate.
Old Jan 14th 2007, 11:39 am
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute

An alternative solution would be to spend some time on youtube, which I find utterly addictive even when I watch on my laptop with its crappy speakers.
Am v tempted to just buy a big flatscreen once there and link it up to the computer.... hours of fun! Will not need to bother with a job then!
Old Jan 14th 2007, 12:03 pm
Karma earned, not whored

CadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks.

Dom
What you are after is called IPTV and by later this year and definitely next year you will be able to watch BBC1 or any other channel for that matter "as live" on your own pc. It is going to be a huge revolution in TV watching, meaning we can literally watch american or UK tv as they are broadcast......although different timezones are going to bugger things up a bit. Failing that get yourself up to speed on torrents and start downloading all the latest stuff off the net. torrentspy.com is an excellent place to start.
Old Jan 14th 2007, 12:58 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

I'm assuming. But there's a huge ask I'm needing to ask of my landlord next week, namely; "when our dog comes out of Byford quarantine centre at the end of the month, can we keep him at the property?"

So feel asking to have the nice people from Foxtel around hammering, drilling and erecting a satellite dish at the same time might be pushing my luck.
I take your point However, speak to Foxtel and ask them to do a survey first. In both of my installations they didn't have to drill any holes or leave any mess. In fact, in the last house we hadn't asked for permission but when we left they were none the wiser!
Old Jan 14th 2007, 1:09 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by wmoore
I take your point However, speak to Foxtel and ask them to do a survey first. In both of my installations they didn't have to drill any holes or leave any mess. In fact, in the last house we hadn't asked for permission but when we left they were none the wiser!
Cheers, I'll get them round then.

Just tried to register with UKNova. They're up to there member limit, so not taking any new.

Currently sat hear watching Everton v Reading on ESPN Hong Kong. Downloaded software called SopCast. But the quality is absolutely crap. The whole thing is just one large stutter. Reckon Gareth Gates must have something to do with setting it up.
Old Jan 14th 2007, 1:23 pm
The Murphsters

The Murphsters is a name known to allThe Murphsters is a name known to allThe Murphsters is a name known to allThe Murphsters is a name known to allThe Murphsters is a name known to allThe Murphsters is a name known to allThe Murphsters is a name known to allThe Murphsters is a name known to allThe Murphsters is a name known to allThe Murphsters is a name known to allThe Murphsters is a name known to all

Newsgroups are the best by far.
easynews.com, $10 (US) per month and it makes it easy and very fast to download just about any decent show made and broadcast in UK & US.

Its not so much IPTV but more video on demand, can usually download a 60min TV show in 20-30 mins over 6mb connection, You get a 20MB + connection and you are laughing.
Old Jan 14th 2007, 1:25 pm
What's happening dudes?

Cheers, I'll get them round then.

Just tried to register with UKNova. They're up to there member limit, so not taking any new.

Currently sat hear watching Everton v Reading on ESPN Hong Kong. Downloaded software called SopCast. But the quality is absolutely crap. The whole thing is just one large stutter. Reckon Gareth Gates must have something to do with setting it up.
I've used SopCast a few times and while the quality isn't great, it is watchable on a decent connection. I watched Norwich v Tamworth and Birmingham v Newcastle on SopCast last weekend.

I had no problems whatsoever with it stuttering but there are lots of variables that can affect it.
Old Jan 14th 2007, 1:33 pm
shoot from the hip,baby

onepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CadburysFingers
What you are after is called IPTV and by later this year and definitely next year you will be able to watch BBC1 or any other channel for that matter "as live" on your own pc. It is going to be a huge revolution in TV watching, meaning we can literally watch american or UK tv as they are broadcast......although different timezones are going to bugger things up a bit. Failing that get yourself up to speed on torrents and start downloading all the latest stuff off the net. torrentspy.com is an excellent place to start.
Sounds like the answer to all my "but I'm going to miss Coronation St/Eastenders/Shameless" moans.
Wonder how that'll present itself. A top set box? Installation download???
And cost wise - any ideas?

*pearly*
Old Jan 14th 2007, 1:38 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

If you do approach yiur landlord, make sure that he realises the bonus of having Foxtel ready for when his next tenants move in. Quite a plus point for rentals
Old Jan 14th 2007, 1:46 pm
Forum Regular

skyblue has much to be proud ofskyblue has much to be proud ofskyblue has much to be proud ofskyblue has much to be proud ofskyblue has much to be proud ofskyblue has much to be proud ofskyblue has much to be proud ofskyblue has much to be proud ofskyblue has much to be proud ofskyblue has much to be proud ofskyblue has much to be proud of

some series here to watch directly, no download needed:

http://peekvid.com/

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.