TV in Aus

Old Aug 1st 2005, 9:51 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: TV in Aus

Originally Posted by louise4
come now ladies, suley there is enough of dagboy to go around. just think Mrs D, you could get rid of him for a whole weekend

No, ok then, continue with the mudwrestling
louise, pretty sure that if I wanted to get rid of him I could find enough women that I would never get him back . They'd be lining up at the door .

BDB - "lovely" is one of the words he uses to describe me, the other description is trouble with a capital T
Old Aug 1st 2005, 9:57 am
Just Joined

COggs is an unknown quantity at this point

There are two things (apart from Family) I miss in Oz.. the TV and the football... (I will never get used to calling it soccer)

In Summary:
ABC - A cheap version of BBC.. Altho some great British stuff here.. but no-one under 50 seems to watch it
Ch9 - CSI, CSI Miami, Cold Case, CSI NY, CSI Coventry (probably)
CH10 - Big Brother, which supercedes any other program on telly + Law & Order, Law & Order SVU, Law & Order : Another one I can't remember the name of , and more Law and Order... oh and the Grand Prix.. but only if you want to stay up until the early hours to watch it
SBS - The occasional Champions League Match.. Great channel if you're Greek or Italian.. (No offence).. "The World Game" Sadly lacking in English Football nowadays
Ch7.. All the other rubbish that the other channels had the decency not to buy. My wife would argue as 7 is the home of Desperate Housewives and 24

As for Foxtel... its not Sky, but it does a job. All those soapie fans can get their fill here -UKTV along with Sports Channels is available on the basic package. Apart from that.. 50+ Channels of recycled America Garbage... Altho for some reason I still watch BBC World..
The football coverage on Sky is really good, we get so many more games here than in UK. The games are repeated several times during the following week..

One more thing, as I now live in Melbourne (moved from Sydney).. if there is AFL on, then forget all other sports.. it is of no consequence... they are not interested.. the tv will not play stuff because of the ratings, and they won't let pay tv show it, until they say its ok... A real bummer if you like Rugby, or League..

Anyway.... you'll see!
Old Aug 1st 2005, 11:57 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jo_west

Are you also bombarded with reality tv shows over there, like BB?

Jo
Do we get them?? Does the Pope have a balcony??

We get BB and celebrity BB, dancing with the (C. list) Stars. Threes one where you have to try to convince your family your going out with someone famous. My restaurant rules. The block. A diet club one where bloated old has beens from sons and daughters etc lose their dignity along with a few kilos.

And on at the mo, quite possibly the most stupid one ever done (?) Skating on thin ice where you get D list celebs learning to skate, the clips look quite shit!

Mental
Old Aug 1st 2005, 12:00 pm
Account Closed

Three Legs is an unknown quantity at this point

... Unfortunately you will be subjected to countless re-runs of the Australian classic ...

... Muhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha ...

Three Legs

Originally Posted by jo_west
Hi,

What are the TV channels like in Aus, are they any good and how about Eastenders(Sad I know, but I shall miss it, although the bbc are putting a lot of there programs online soon, and all you need is a UK TV license).

Can you get UK sport, like Cricket, footie and Rugby(Hopefully).

Thanks in Advance

Jo

(Eastenders Fan from the very 1st eposide, I must get out more )
Old Aug 2nd 2005, 12:04 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Three Legs
... Unfortunately you will be subjected to countless re-runs of the Australian classic ...

Three Legs
Do you know when it was last shown on TV here ?

Old Aug 2nd 2005, 12:13 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Do you know when it was last shown on TV here ?
Strangely enough, I noticed it was on UKTV on Foxtel a couple of years ago. Very late at night.

What does that tell you? UKTV thinks it's an English program?

Hasn't been on free-to-air for about 15 years.
Old Aug 2nd 2005, 12:20 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by nickyc
Strangely enough, I noticed it was on UKTV on Foxtel a couple of years ago. Very late at night.

What does that tell you? UKTV thinks it's an English program?

Hasn't been on free-to-air for about 15 years.
You mean...... In the UK they get countless re-runs of the Australian classic Prisoner Cell Block H, and we have been free of it here for 15 years ?

Old Aug 2nd 2005, 1:31 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
You mean...... In the UK they get countless re-runs of the Australian classic Prisoner Cell Block H, and we have been free of it here for 15 years ?
Quite possibly!
Old Aug 2nd 2005, 1:53 am

ShozInOz is an unknown quantity at this point

ABC and sometimes SBS are the only channels worth having. I only tend to watch British (usually BBC) dramas and documentaries on ABC here. The others are better tuned out. White noise is better. This is partly because they give you RSI due to repetetive pressing of the mute button. The adverts here have to be seen to be believed. People actually yell at you "GET DOWN TO SYDNEY SHOW GROUND NOOOWWWWWWWWW". Etc. Also your brain shrinks due to excessive reality TV. Digital television involves giving one's money to Rupert Murdoch. I personally would rather eat vomit.

Moving to Australia is an ideal opportunity to throw your TV outof the window. Need help: http://www.whitedot.org/issue/iss_front.asp Their book called 'Get a Life' is still the best I have ever read in terms of life impact. I'm planning to go cold turkey for the second time (last time I got rid of TV for 18 months and it was fabulous! I blame meeting the wife for the relapse.).

Last edited by ShozInOz; Aug 2nd 2005 at 1:55 am.
Old Aug 2nd 2005, 4:48 am
BE Enthusiast

darkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant future

I find that whilst the quality of TV here is not as good as the UK, that works in our favour.

I think that most nights there is something on for an hour or two which is good (24, last man standing, etc), however as there is also a fair amount of crap, it means you are not stuck in front of the TV from 5 to 10 watching so called good programs. You have the chance if you want to do other stuff.

When I left the UK 6 months ago, I found that most evenings TV consisted of an hour of soaps followed by 30 minutes of news, followed by an hour of soaps, followed by some DIY house / garden makeover shows for an hour, then half an hour of news, then reality TV for an hour.... arrrgghhh!!!

This pattern seemed pretty standard most weeknights and most weeks of the year.

I think OZ TV does you a favour in that it forces you away from the box.

We have debated getting Foxtel, and if i could select 3 or 4 channels from it then i would so that I could keep up with the premiership, watch discovery channel, my wife likes history programs, etc etc), but the fact that I will end up with 30 or 40 channel of more inane (follow the bog-standard-format TV) means that I dont think we will bother. I will watch the football matches online instead.

That inane TV does exist here too but as mentioned earlier it seems to all be on Channel 10 (BB, X-factor, Austalian Idol, American Idol, etc, etc).
Old Aug 2nd 2005, 4:51 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by darkless
I find that whilst the quality of TV here is not as good as the UK, that works in our favour.

I think that most nights there is something on for an hour or two which is good (24, last man standing, etc), however as there is also a fair amount of crap, it means you are not stuck in front of the TV from 5 to 10 watching so called good programs. You have the chance if you want to do other stuff.

When I left the UK 6 months ago, I found that most evenings TV consisted of an hour of soaps followed by 30 minutes of news, followed by an hour of soaps, followed by some DIY house / garden makeover shows for an hour, then half an hour of news, then reality TV for an hour.... arrrgghhh!!!

This pattern seemed pretty standard most weeknights and most weeks of the year.

I think OZ TV does you a favour in that it forces you away from the box.

We have debated getting Foxtel, and if i could select 3 or 4 channels from it then i would so that I could keep up with the premiership, watch discovery channel, my wife likes history programs, etc etc), but the fact that I will end up with 30 or 40 channel of more inane (follow the bog-standard-format TV) means that I dont think we will bother. I will watch the football matches online instead.

That inane TV does exist here too but as mentioned earlier it seems to all be on Channel 10 (BB, X-factor, Austalian Idol, American Idol, etc, etc).
Hey darkless, hows ya pool going? Got anymore done?
Old Aug 2nd 2005, 5:01 am
Forum Regular

vics has a spectacular aura aboutvics has a spectacular aura aboutvics has a spectacular aura about

I haven't found TV too bad here (Perth, free to air) - except whenever I see Channel 10 in the evenings it seems to be Big Brother (which I never could stand in the UK so I'm certainly not watching it here!!!)

Here is a question for you all - does anyone watch the series 'Alias' (with Jennifer Garner)? I saw the new series advertised quite a few times as starting in July, and I'm sure it was Channel 7 - but as yet I have not actually seen it on the TV and can't find it in the TV listings on any channel. Can somebody please help?!?!?! I know I am sad
Old Aug 2nd 2005, 5:11 am
BE Enthusiast

darkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by MrsDagboy
Hey darkless, hows ya pool going? Got anymore done?

Hiya,

Wierd timing, I was just reading the leccy/pool costs thread. Wow 80,000 litres - your pool is HUGE!!!

Yeah pool is coming along nicely thanks. It it not quite finished, I still have a raised flowerbed to put rocks around and plant stuff in, mulch the edges and put sand in the pavers, but all in all it isn't looking too bad.

I just remembered that I promised you piccies. I have just been out and taken a couple - shame it is a grey day!!

Darkless
Attached Thumbnails TV in Aus-pool_with_paving_1.jpg   TV in Aus-pool_with_paving_2.jpg  
Old Aug 2nd 2005, 5:13 am
Grumpy Old Woman!!

Moody Cow is a jewel in the roughMoody Cow is a jewel in the roughMoody Cow is a jewel in the roughMoody Cow is a jewel in the roughMoody Cow is a jewel in the rough

Perhaps I have low expectations but I think Foxtel is great, I love UKTV and Lifestyle channels.....we had terrestrial channels for a couple of months when we first arrived and it was pretty dire, we used to get DVD's most nights! Having said that, we arrived in Perth having lived in the cultural desert that is America for a decade so believe me, UKtv (no matter how old the programmes are) is a slice of heaven.

Hubby quite often gets up in the middle of the night to watch UK footy and cricket...but he is a dedicated sport nut! We even have to watch poker tournements and ladies billards for him to have a fix!! How sad is he??!!

MC
Old Aug 2nd 2005, 6:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Neil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really nice

The worst thing about Aussie TV IMO is CHRISTMAS.

As someone who has been dragged up on truly classic Xmas specials of 'Morecambe and Wise' and 'The Two Ronnies', all thats on here is the usual US drivel (when I say drivel, I don't mean Boston Legal or Desperate Houswives). You have been warned.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.