Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Tuxedos / Dinner Jackets

Tuxedos / Dinner Jackets

Old Oct 17th 2006, 7:12 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Tuxedos / Dinner Jackets

Well it's getting on to that time of year again - my Christmas party has been announced, its at some posh place in Mayfair where I will go and get spastically drunk, make inappropriate comments to 19 year old secretarys, dance really badly and think I'm John Travolta, fall asleep on the tube on the way home and wonder in the morning why I have a half consumed kebab in my bag and where's my wallet?

ANYWAY.... the perennial decision is - should I hire or buy a tuxedo? Do people generally wear these at office parties / functions etc in Oz, or are they much more relaxed affairs? If I'm not going to need a Tux in Oz I'll hire one for this year's Christmas party... would be interested to hear your experiences...

Much obliged.

Buzzy
Old Oct 17th 2006, 7:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tuxedos / Dinner Jackets

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Well it's getting on to that time of year again - my Christmas party has been announced, its at some posh place in Mayfair where I will go and get spastically drunk, make inappropriate comments to 19 year old secretarys, dance really badly and think I'm John Travolta, fall asleep on the tube on the way home and wonder in the morning why I have a half consumed kebab in my bag and where's my wallet?

Buzzy

Ah them were the days

Anyway hire the tux, here its more a few slabs of beer and a couple of kilos of warm prawns if your lucky.
Old Oct 17th 2006, 7:20 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond repute

ANYWAY.... the perennial decision is - should I hire or buy a tuxedo? Do people generally wear these at office parties / functions etc in Oz, or are they much more relaxed affairs? If I'm not going to need a Tux in Oz I'll hire one for this year's Christmas party... would be interested to hear your experiences...

Much obliged.

Buzzy
This reminds me of a crank call thing done on the radio in the US where this guy called up the company that made TUX incontinence pads and asked for prices to hire a Tux for his dinner party at the old people's home (he was collecting an award for most continent resident ). I forget the guy's name but he is soooo funny (I usually hate that sort of thing) his one phoning Toys-R -Us asking for a huge list of things for his grand daughter, ending with stuff like the my little pony glue factory was really good.
In answer to your original question though Ian has his suit and it hasn't been used once in the time that we have been here (except when we went back to the UK). I doubt that you would need to have a Tux here and if you do then the hire prices where we are are really good (we used a load for the play). Plus I know that noone in their right minds would want to wear a Tux here for Christmas parties in the summer heat :scared:
Enjoy yourself.
Nicky
Old Oct 17th 2006, 7:31 am
Cheeky member

Ransi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond repute

Buy,there not that expensive...Mr.Ransi went to a AFL do recently and spent $200 on one,shirt thrown in for free!!!
Old Oct 17th 2006, 7:35 am
Account Closed

Deadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to behold

Much obliged.

Buzzy
"Spastically Drunk" ... ah, a fine turn of phrase popular in Oz that I'll just never get used to hearing without wanting to poke both my fingers deep into the speaker's eye sockets.

Anyway, hire the tux and then you can stain 'em with the juice of that temp all you like.
Old Oct 17th 2006, 7:37 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Tuxedos / Dinner Jackets

Originally Posted by Deadmeat
"Spastically Drunk" ... ah, a fine turn of phrase popular in Oz that I'll just never get used to hearing without wanting to poke both my fingers deep into the speaker's eye sockets.
Yes I seem to remember I picked that one up from a former Melbourne resident....

Buzzy