Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Turn the tap off

Turn the tap off

Old Nov 5th 2003, 1:19 am
Good to be back in UK

Jirrupin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Turn the tap off

Yesterday the news reported that in Perth we had used 28% more water than we were supposed to.

How conscious are you (those in OZ/NZ) of your water use and does it have an impact on life, other than hose pipe bans and limits on watering gardens?

I am interested if this is aso a feature for those living in the more southern states.
Old Nov 5th 2003, 1:30 am
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

We have been living under water restrictions in Melbourne for months now - first it was 'stage 1' restrictions - you could only use manual sprinklers and at certian times of night, for example. Now we are in stage 2 which is much more severe - no watering of lawns at all, no washing cars with hoses (bucket only), no filling pools without a permit, etc.

I'm so much more careful with water - if I need to run a tap till it's warm then I capture the cold in a bucket, if I'm washing veggies I'll wash them either in a bowl of water or running water but capture the excess in a bucket. No leaving taps running while cleaning teeth. And as for cleaning the car...well, we never did that anyway!!

They said that in Melbourne it would take 5 years of normal rain to get the reservoirs full again. We've had so much rain lately but we are staying under restrictions cos of summer approaching and the fact the reservoirs are still only just over 50% full (which is a massive improvement as 6 weeks ago they were about 42% full)
Old Nov 5th 2003, 1:48 am
Good to be back in UK

Jirrupin is an unknown quantity at this point

The WWf report that Perth is one of the most inefficient water consuming cities in Australia, however there is a strategy in place to turn that around.

Althought the dam levels have been lifted here with the winter rainfall, my understanding is they are only about 30/40% can't remember the figures now.

The only domestic restrictions I am aware of is that you can only water your garden twice a week if you use a sprinkler and/or reticulation systems, but you can use a hose pipe any time you want.
Old Nov 5th 2003, 1:49 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all
Default Re: Turn the tap off

Originally posted by Jirrupin
Yesterday the news reported that in Perth we had used 28% more water than we were supposed to.

How conscious are you (those in OZ/NZ) of your water use and does it have an impact on life, other than hose pipe bans and limits on watering gardens?

I am interested if this is aso a feature for those living in the more southern states.

we are not really conscious of it. Our council we pay water in the rates. you are allowed a certain amount (can't remember the amount) . If you go over the allocated amount you get charged for the extra water, if you are under you get a rebate in next years rates. We've only been our home a couples of months now (we were renting before so we did not get charged for water) and last week I received a "water usage" notice for the council telling us the amount of water we have used.. we are way under the allocated amount... our water usage has been good which is surprising as I use the spa quite a lot and that takes hell of a lot of water to fill it.. I don't use the hose pipe at all (just for washing cars - I use a bucket to wash and just a hose to wash away the suds) as I haven't finished the garden yet .. I could always water the weeds though

Up here in the local rags they are always having some "water saving" week campaign or something or other telling you to save water (not compulsory, just a campaign)) .. I never take no notice of it as we don't tend to use a lot of it anyway with just the two of us... garden hasn't been finished, and no pool yet. I suppose I will take more notice of my water usage when the garden and pool is finished.

Also in our area there are only certain days you can turn on the sprinklers .. ie odd number houses on one day, even numbers on the next day. Don't ask me what days as again I take no notice as we haven't got any sprinklers

cheers

P.s you can buy small (when I mean small, smaller than the big rainwater tanks people have in the bush) rain water tanks that fit on the side of your house (below the roofs drain pipe) which has a tap on the side for watering your gardens .. I seen them advertised somewhere the other day (on a flyer in the letterbox) .. they weren't all that expensive and was thinking of getting one myself when I get my garden sorted.

Last edited by Ceri; Nov 5th 2003 at 1:53 am.
Old Nov 5th 2003, 1:54 am
I like kittens.

downunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to behold

Sydney's on compulsory water restrictions - no hose use. What's annoying is that Sydneysiders have cut their water consumption significantly since the ban, but Sydney Water is losing over 100 megalitres a DAY through faulty and leaking pipes. This water saving malarky is a two way street, Sydney Water!!
Old Nov 5th 2003, 2:13 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

http://www.theraincatchers.com.au/products.asp?cat=1

not the one I saw here but these start quite cheaply enough $300 for the smaller ones.

The one I saw was square and looked quite neat, easy to install just under the drainpipe.

Actually what annoys me is if you go around Brisbane a lot of a parks, council owned things have sprinkler systems on a timer. You see them sprinkling the grass at night even if it's raining.. what a waste.

cheers

P.s when I put in a search for Rainwater tanks.. sydney came up - it seems that you get a rebate of the council for installing a a rainwater tank for your garden.. don't know if Brisbane is the same ( although I know you get a rebate here for the solar heaters)

Last edited by Ceri; Nov 5th 2003 at 2:18 am.
Old Nov 5th 2003, 2:31 am
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by downunderpom
Sydney's on compulsory water restrictions - no hose use. What's annoying is that Sydneysiders have cut their water consumption significantly since the ban, but Sydney Water is losing over 100 megalitres a DAY through faulty and leaking pipes. This water saving malarky is a two way street, Sydney Water!!
Melbourne's water shortages have been partly attributed to the controversial logging policy of the government. Logging in water catchment areas has drastically reduced the amount of water retention (water which would then be captured by Melbourne's reservoirs).

Like you say about Sydney, Joe Public does his bit to reduce water consumption, while governments and local authorities don't seem to be helping to alleviate the problems.
Old Nov 5th 2003, 2:52 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Ceri
[url]P.s when I put in a search for Rainwater tanks.. sydney came up - it seems that you get a rebate of the council for installing a a rainwater tank for your garden.. don't know if Brisbane is the same ( although I know you get a rebate here for the solar heaters)
Brisbane had the rebate for the rainwater tanks last year, only ran for a limited time, first 500 to apply etc. You bought the tank, then applied for the rebate, bad luck if you were #501!

Dont know anything about the rebate for the solar heaters though?
Old Nov 5th 2003, 3:02 am
I like kittens.

downunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by MrsDagboy
Brisbane had the rebate for the rainwater tanks last year, only ran for a limited time, first 500 to apply etc. You bought the tank, then applied for the rebate, bad luck if you were #501!

Dont know anything about the rebate for the solar heaters though?
This is the one for NSW....

http://www.seda.nsw.gov.au/

There's an Oz-wide federal incentive for renewable energy sources - WA is getting the lions share (hardly surprising, as most of WA is 'off the grid'!) I was looking at this a couple of days ago - and I find that I can expect a $4000 rebate on installing my solar power system, provided I follow certain rules. Bloody excellent!
Old Nov 5th 2003, 3:06 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

This is the one for NSW....

http://www.seda.nsw.gov.au/

There's an Oz-wide federal incentive for renewable energy sources - WA is getting the lions share (hardly surprising, as most of WA is 'off the grid'!) I was looking at this a couple of days ago - and I find that I can expect a $4000 rebate on installing my solar power system, provided I follow certain rules. Bloody excellent!
Ah ok, now I do vaguely remember Solahart advertising a rebate, but that was yonks ago, or maybe I just dont watch enough TV LOL.

We have solar hot water anyway .... & solar heating for our spa, so we do something good for the environment .
Old Nov 5th 2003, 3:10 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Originally posted by MrsDagboy
Ah ok, now I do vaguely remember Solahart advertising a rebate, but that was yonks ago, or maybe I just dont watch enough TV LOL.

We have solar hot water anyway .... & solar heating for our spa, so we do something good for the environment .
Maybe it's a council thing. Our council gives you rebate for the solar heater, pretty sure it does.. I seem to recall it was something like a thousand dollars off.

They also give you a rebate if you install some type of shower rose.

cheers
Old Nov 5th 2003, 3:13 am
I like kittens.

They also give you a rebate if you install some type of shower rose.
That's the 'AAA' rated water saving shower head, isn't it?
Old Nov 5th 2003, 3:17 am
BE Enthusiast

BookBear is an unknown quantity at this point

We live in an apartment, so water restrictions don't seem to have any impact on us. If we had a garden we would be as careful as we could be. We've already decided not to have a lawn, we prefer native plants, and we'd rather not have a pool.

Our council (or state govt. can't remember) is offering rebates on rainwater tanks and shower heads also. I think rainwater tanks are a great idea, but I don't think you'd catch me drinking the water, like my bf's parents do....they've found dead possums in the tank before!
Old Nov 5th 2003, 3:18 am
Y Ddraig Goch

That's the 'AAA' rated water saving shower head, isn't it?

I Haven't got a ruddy clue.. when we moved into the house we received a "council pack" from the mayor saying welcome blah and blah personally signed.. in the pack there were info leaflets about everything from koalas (I'm living next to koala habitat) to dump times, to rebates on things. To free native plants (that reminds me I haven't collected those yet.. free 4 plants.. whoopie )

cheers
Old Nov 5th 2003, 3:21 am
I like kittens.

I haven't collected those yet.. free 4 plants.. whoopie )
cheers
Yeah, but they didn't tell you it's four spinifex bushes!