Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Tullamarine, melbourne

Tullamarine, melbourne

Old Sep 29th 2005, 10:16 am
HAM
Forum Regular

Location: on the opposite side of the world to where I want to be...
HAM has a spectacular aura aboutHAM has a spectacular aura aboutHAM has a spectacular aura about
Default Tullamarine, melbourne

Hi all

Have done a quick search but not come up with much...hubby has an interview next week with a company based above, does anybody know much about the area? We have 2 kids (7&5). Looking at multimap it looks like it's right between 2 airports...anybody living there know if it's noisy? Anybody recommend any nice burbs in roughly a 45 min commute?...nice schools...important info...etc...many thanks....
Old Sep 29th 2005, 1:00 pm

Flying Banana is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Tullamarine, melbourne

Originally Posted by HAM
Hi all

Have done a quick search but not come up with much...hubby has an interview next week with a company based above, does anybody know much about the area? We have 2 kids (7&5). Looking at multimap it looks like it's right between 2 airports...anybody living there know if it's noisy? Anybody recommend any nice burbs in roughly a 45 min commute?...nice schools...important info...etc...many thanks....
Sent you a PM
Old Sep 29th 2005, 1:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

ossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by HAM
Hi all

Tullarmarine is the international airport. 45 minutes from Tullarmarine can get you well into the Eastern & South-Eastern suburbs (on a toll road). It is well connected.
Old Sep 29th 2005, 1:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HAM
Hi all

As said Tullamarine is the international airport and the suburb surrounding the airport. My guess is that the prospective employer is situated on our near the Western Ring Road or the Tullamarine Freeway. Caterpillar for example has a big operation near the junction of the 2 Freeways. I can do Williamstown (SW of CBD) to Tulla airport in about 25 minutes most times so as said the network of roads mean that you could live in much of Melbourne and be within 45 mins commute of Tulla.

There are nicer adjoining suburbs such as Greenvale but my personal preference would be to live away from Tulla and commute. Yes, the plane noise could be a problem and the suburbs surrounding the airport are understandably mostly below Melbourne average prices. eg all Melbourne about $360K median, Tullamarine $243K, Greenvale $395K. Nice suburbs closer in include the likes of Essendon and Strathmore but over $500K.

OzTennis

Edited - later figures, all Melbourne $363K, Tulla $235K, Greenvale $415K.

Last edited by OzTennis; Sep 29th 2005 at 1:38 pm.
Old Sep 29th 2005, 1:49 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

If you can get hold of a copy of the film "The Castle"..........that'll give you an idea of living in Tullamarine Great if you like living under a flight path, otherwise I'd live elsewhere and commute
Old Sep 29th 2005, 1:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
If you can get hold of a copy of the film "The Castle"..........that'll give you an idea of living in Tullamarine Great if you like living under a flight path, otherwise I'd live elsewhere and commute
Sorry to be pedantic and take the point you are making but you are dreamin' The Castle was filmed next to Essendon airport (which they called Highview Crescent, Coolaroo from memory) but they do have a funny bit in the film where you see them wheeling their trolley out of Tulla and then next thing they are going along their street which was next to Essendon airport (they're 5 miles or thereabouts apart). My name is Dale Kerrigan and this is our story.

OzTennis
Old Sep 29th 2005, 2:52 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OzTennis
Sorry to be pedantic and take the point you are making but you are dreamin' The Castle was filmed next to Essendon airport (which they called Highview Crescent, Coolaroo from memory) but they do have a funny bit in the film where you see them wheeling their trolley out of Tulla and then next thing they are going along their street which was next to Essendon airport (they're 5 miles or thereabouts apart). My name is Dale Kerrigan and this is our story.

OzTennis
Sorry, I know where the two airports are, but not familiar with the streets around them. As the film appeared to portray Tulla, I thought it'd be a good late night smile. I'll retire to the pool room and stop posting waffle.
Old Sep 29th 2005, 4:12 pm

Flying Banana is an unknown quantity at this point

The pull out guide from 'The Age' I mentioned in the PM can be downloaded from here: http://www.domain.com.au/Public/Guides.aspx

There are also ones for all the other states too for anyone who is interested. The key to the stars given for each area is about two pages in from the back.
Old Sep 29th 2005, 5:59 pm
HAM
Forum Regular

Location: on the opposite side of the world to where I want to be...
HAM has a spectacular aura aboutHAM has a spectacular aura aboutHAM has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Flying Banana
The pull out guide from 'The Age' I mentioned in the PM can be downloaded from here: http://www.domain.com.au/Public/Guides.aspx

There are also ones for all the other states too for anyone who is interested. The key to the stars given for each area is about two pages in from the back.
Thanks for your help guys - looks like I've got some investigating to do tonight Thanks for the link and pm flying banana it is much appreciated if we ever make it to melbourne we owe you a !!
Old Sep 29th 2005, 11:05 pm
Forum Regular

goldcoastrealestate is just really nicegoldcoastrealestate is just really nicegoldcoastrealestate is just really nicegoldcoastrealestate is just really nicegoldcoastrealestate is just really nicegoldcoastrealestate is just really nicegoldcoastrealestate is just really nicegoldcoastrealestate is just really nicegoldcoastrealestate is just really nice

Originally Posted by Pollyana

So you do not get the wrong impression, The Castle was filmed behind Essendon airport and they portrayed it to be Melbourne Airport, so the homes are not like that in Tullamarine.

We used to have two photo-labs - one at Melb airport and one at Gladstone Park. Gladstone Park abuts Tullamarine.

Tullamarine has a very European community. The Gladstone Park Shopping centre itself, as I last saw it had bingo hall inside it and a Cash Converters, so that will give you an indication of the incomes.

We lived in Sunbury, west of Melbourne airport for ten years and loved it. Back then it had a population of only 20,000 and now much larger. Because of the Ring Roads, you can really live anywhere in the northern, north-west or western suburbs, if you work in Tullamarine.

The most important factor to consider is facilities. As petrol prices increase, will you be able to afford petrol? Will you always be in the car getting kids to school, sporting facilities, birthday parties, doctors or hospitals? All these things, plus many more are what make people decide to move as they find they spend too much time in the car and have less leisure time.

Any northern, north-western suburb is affected by the planes. I grew up in Essendon and our street was under the runway flight path, so I do not mind the planes at all.

Gayle

Last edited by goldcoastrealestate; Sep 29th 2005 at 11:07 pm.