Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Trying to rent a property in Melbourne whilst still abroad

Wikiposts

Trying to rent a property in Melbourne whilst still abroad

Old Jul 16th 2011, 6:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Trying to rent a property in Melbourne whilst still abroad

Derryn Hinch of all people got caught in one of these.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/vic...-1225822868513
Old Jul 18th 2011, 12:33 am
Forum Regular

moin will become famous soon enough
Smile Re: Trying to rent a property in Melbourne whilst still abroad

Yea would never think about making reserving the place. Unless a trusted third party is involved.

Btw what's the solution to limited luggage storage space in the hostels? I am moving for good after all. Probably going to have couple large luggage bags.

Spoke to one of the hostels. They offered me extra storage locker for $6 per day. Another offered storage room close to reception area (unsecured) for no extra cost.

Thinking about leaving one of the big ones behind for cargo later on once I have found a more long term solution.

Thoughts?

Cheers..
Old Jul 18th 2011, 12:46 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by spottydog
google gumtree rental scam and you'll find lots of information on what you are receiving
But gumtree is a good way of find out accommodation once you IN the country. Used it few times here in London. Not bad. I guess you must meet up and see the place before deciding anything.
Old Jul 18th 2011, 12:49 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by rozellem
My friend in London had to go to Canne, France for a big conference, one of those where every bed in town is taken. His secretary found a lovely flat online (great pictures), booked and payed for it, they even arranged for their car to pick him up at the airport (at extra cost). No car was waiting at the airport, so he caught a taxi to the flat, just to find that it did not exist! He had to sleep on a colleagues hotel room floor.
Reckon we are sometimes so reliant on the system of these developed countries that it's easy to forget crooks are everywhere. They don't even have to be physically present in that particular country.

I try to put that key word "review" in my google search everytime.
Old Jul 18th 2011, 12:51 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Derryn Hinch of all people got caught in one of these.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/vic...-1225822868513
Once got almost convinced by someone in Lagos to sell him my phone. I even took a time-out from work to post the item over. That email from paypal looked so genuine!