Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Trying to pick a suburb in gold coast

Trying to pick a suburb in gold coast

Old Nov 19th 2012, 9:50 am
BE Enthusiast

hantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Trying to pick a suburb in gold coast

I would live central Gold Coast and be nearer to the beaches. I live in Broadbeach Waters and I am at the Coomera junction on the motorway within 20 minutes in the morning. Its only a difference of 10 minutes by the time you drive from a suburb to the motorway.

No matter what anyone says on here I would advise renting for at least 6 months and having a good look around. We rented for two months in Brisbane and moved to be closer to the beaches.

There are parks all over the place and plenty to do all the time.
Old Nov 19th 2012, 10:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by boxer1982
Thanks a lot for your help, we've been talking and might be worth staying in a short term rental for a week or two until we find the area we want. Can anyone suggest any decent sites that have short term rentals around the GC? Many thanks again.
http://www.wheretosleep.com.au/gold-...AU55864296/ads

http://www.stayz.com.au/short-term-r...-coast-central

Old Nov 20th 2012, 2:57 am
Forum Regular

coldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nice

Originally Posted by hantsfamily1
I would live central Gold Coast and be nearer to the beaches. I live in Broadbeach Waters and I am at the Coomera junction on the motorway within 20 minutes in the morning. Its only a difference of 10 minutes by the time you drive from a suburb to the motorway.
Really? What time is that? BB Waters to Coomera is 30km, so you can average 90km/h for the whole trip, including 12km of non-freeway??? I have done it from Southport and it took a lot longer than 20 mins to Coomera even from there. Probably takes me about 12 mins from Hope Island (8km) and that's at 6:30AM.

If you travel onto Bris CBD how long does that take in total?

Sorry for all the questions but 20 mins for that trip is quite a bit less than I expected.
Old Nov 20th 2012, 7:32 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: North Gold Coast or south Brisbane??

Originally Posted by boxer1982
Hi, me and my family are moving to the Gold Coast / Brisbane in April next year. I'm going to be working around both areas so would like to be sort of central. I've looked at areas such as coomera, Ormeau and pimpana, and oxen ford which all seem really nice. I've been warned to stay clear of anywhere after Ormeau until you get to Brisbane..... Is this wise? Basically I'm trying to narrow our property search down to 2 suburbs. My wage alone will be 150k. We looking for an area with good schools, medical services, shopping, outdoor activities.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated especially from anyone who live in these areas. Thanks
if you plan on commuting to Brisbane via train i would say look lower down the GC say between varsity and helensvale that is if you want a seat on the train in the morning rush hour, after helensvale its a 1 hr stand n sway
Old Nov 20th 2012, 3:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

hantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by coldbeer
Really? What time is that? BB Waters to Coomera is 30km, so you can average 90km/h for the whole trip, including 12km of non-freeway??? I have done it from Southport and it took a lot longer than 20 mins to Coomera even from there. Probably takes me about 12 mins from Hope Island (8km) and that's at 6:30AM.

If you travel onto Bris CBD how long does that take in total?

Sorry for all the questions but 20 mins for that trip is quite a bit less than I expected.
I live by the Surfers Paradises golf club and its less than ten minutes to the motorway then 10 minutes to the Coomera junction. I have worked in Brisbane for the past 4 years and do the journey every day. Personally I dont see traffice as much of a problem. I lived and worked just outside London for 20 years having to spend lots of time travelling into the city and this is a walk in the park in comparrison.

I quite often stop for a beer in the Boathouse at Coomera and its only ever 20 minutes home as well.
Old Nov 20th 2012, 10:27 pm
Forum Regular

coldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nice

Originally Posted by hantsfamily1
I live by the Surfers Paradises golf club and its less than ten minutes to the motorway then 10 minutes to the Coomera junction. I have worked in Brisbane for the past 4 years and do the journey every day. Personally I dont see traffice as much of a problem. I lived and worked just outside London for 20 years having to spend lots of time travelling into the city and this is a walk in the park in comparrison.

I quite often stop for a beer in the Boathouse at Coomera and its only ever 20 minutes home as well.
I know the boathouse, sometimes take the coomera junction just for a change, so what's your total trip time to the CBD and what time do you travel? Do you sit in traffic from Loganhome every day, or take the service roads?

If you don't mind the traffic on the PM London must've been horrible!
Old Nov 21st 2012, 7:03 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

i`ve had to go to brendale north brissie over the last month or so what a pain
set off at 5.45 to get there for 7.30 its only 104km, 16 to 20 k short of the gateway/m3 split it all grinds to a halt untill that junction
Old Nov 21st 2012, 8:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steve`o
i`ve had to go to brendale north brissie over the last month or so what a pain
set off at 5.45 to get there for 7.30 its only 104km, 16 to 20 k short of the gateway/m3 split it all grinds to a halt untill that junction
Ouch. Are they still working on that bit of the M1 around Springwood or is it done and still buggered?
Old Nov 21st 2012, 8:22 am
Worongary

Originally Posted by fish.01
Ouch. Are they still working on that bit of the M1 around Springwood or is it done and still buggered?
nope still 80kph

its the four lanes down to three that causes the snarl up so until they make it wider it wont change
Old Nov 21st 2012, 8:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steve`o
nope still 80kph

its the four lanes down to three that causes the snarl up so until they make it wider it wont change
I haven't been down that way much recently.

Just looked up the project web site and it's good to see part of the current project's remit is to prepare the way for future road widening in case the road gets busy

"provision for future lane upgrades on the motorway to accommodate for traffic growth well into the future"

Source: http://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/Projects/N...x#project-info
Old Nov 21st 2012, 8:44 am
Worongary

Originally Posted by fish.01
I haven't been down that way much recently.

Just looked up the project web site and it's good to see part of the current project's remit is to prepare the way for future road widening in case the road gets busy

"provision for future lane upgrades on the motorway to accommodate for traffic growth well into the future"

Source: http://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/Projects/N...x#project-info
they also need to do the robina to coolangatta stretch it was due last year but got canned
Old Nov 21st 2012, 9:09 am
BE Forum Addict

RedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: North Gold Coast or south Brisbane??

Originally Posted by PaulandNic
But with all these fools breaking the 2 second rules...

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u...s/IMG_4560.jpg

There will ALWAYS be crashes on the motorways out here.

3rd pile up I see today, plus a car in a ditch on a sharp bend.

Can't for the life of me work out what is so precious about that 6 - 8' in front of them that they HAVE to sit on the car in fronts tail ...

C'est la Vie!
Who is taking the photo
Old Nov 22nd 2012, 5:14 am
Forum Regular

newlife_downunder is just really nicenewlife_downunder is just really nicenewlife_downunder is just really nicenewlife_downunder is just really nicenewlife_downunder is just really nicenewlife_downunder is just really nicenewlife_downunder is just really nicenewlife_downunder is just really nice

Hey firstly good choice the Gold Coast

When we first moved here we stayed in Upper Coomera; whilst it was OK, we have heard certain areas have got worse since we moved from there.
However, saying that everywhere has there good and bad (no different to the UK!)
Hope Island is only a stones throw from the M1, also Santa Barbara is really nice too. However, we have moved to Highland Park and we love it there, 5 minutes (if that) to the M1, pretty good schools too (not that we have kids) but friends kids go to the local William Duncan School.

Good luck and like others say really need to wait until you get here to take the time to have a good look around.