Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Trying to keep accent!

Trying to keep accent!

Old Jul 8th 2008, 1:56 am
Just Joined

Kirsty19 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Trying to keep accent!

I'm 17 and we've been in Australia for a year. I'm dying to retain my English accent as I've always been told I speak really nicely and I articulate even when I was in England. I never appreciated it until I came here and I want to keep it so badly! Sometimes I catch myself with a twang and my voice goes higher at the end of sentences occassionally. I pinch myself afterwards because I get so frustrated! My mum sounds English as ever, Dad sometimes sounds it which annoys me and my sister sounds Aussie which annoys me as well! It's just the accent in general which irritates me! When I talk to England on the phone my friends say 'omg you sound Australian' but I know I don't! They just say it because they want me to have one and they turn the slightest word I say into Australian. Are there ways I can help keep my accent? I watch a lot of British shows so that helps. Does anyone else want to keep their accent?! I love the English accent now I know what all the fuss is about!
Old Jul 8th 2008, 2:45 am
BE Forum Addict

WelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Trying to keep accent!

You could be friends with only english people!!!

I think its one of these things that to Aussies you will sound english and vice versa!!

Its not such a bad thing surely!!!!
Old Jul 8th 2008, 2:57 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Originally Posted by Kirsty19
I'm 17 and we've been in Australia for a year. I'm dying to retain my English accent as I've always been told I speak really nicely and I articulate even when I was in England. I never appreciated it until I came here and I want to keep it so badly! Sometimes I catch myself with a twang and my voice goes higher at the end of sentences occassionally. I pinch myself afterwards because I get so frustrated! My mum sounds English as ever, Dad sometimes sounds it which annoys me and my sister sounds Aussie which annoys me as well! It's just the accent in general which irritates me! When I talk to England on the phone my friends say 'omg you sound Australian' but I know I don't! They just say it because they want me to have one and they turn the slightest word I say into Australian. Are there ways I can help keep my accent? I watch a lot of British shows so that helps. Does anyone else want to keep their accent?! I love the English accent now I know what all the fuss is about!
We have been in OZ over 2 years and none of us have lost our English accents. I do think some people try to lose their accents to fit in, but my kids go to school with many Aussie children and still have kept their English accent.
Old Jul 8th 2008, 3:48 am
BE Enthusiast

kiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of light

If you're determined you'll probably keep it to a certain extent. I was younger than you when we moved but tried desperately to hang onto my accent until I went "home" to UK and realised it wasn't home anymore. Then I stopped trying so hard. However, I'm a natural parrot and it's easier for me to slip into the local lingo than not. I had a friend who hung onto her accent simply because the boys liked it.

You are proud of your enunciation, so maybe you'd be interested in speech and drama classes. Your elocution teacher would probably worship you.

Honestly, your accent is not that important in directing your life path, or making you a better person and will likely become less important to you as time moves on.