Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Trying to decide if we return to Oz or not

Wikiposts

Trying to decide if we return to Oz or not

Old Jan 9th 2004, 4:17 pm
Superfreak!!

Stormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to all

Tell me where dude

atm we pay £500 a month rent for a 2 bed bungalow.... if it had been through an agent it would be £800. We need a house as we need the room and also have 2 dogs.

I`m on 25k as the tv industry took a dive a year or so ago. Spent 8 years making my way up to 30k too before our co. shut down in Maidstone.

We`d probably stay here if we could afford to, but it`s not looking likely with the housing market the way it is and things getting so much more expensive (council tax, utilities, hidden tax, etc etc).
Old Jan 9th 2004, 4:58 pm
Forum Regular

adelaidegirl is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Stormz, slightly off topic but do you work on the Ministry of Mayhem, it's filmed at Maidstone. Only ask because my brother has just started working on it, he's one of the actors. adelaidegirl
Old Jan 9th 2004, 9:44 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Trying to decide if we return to Oz or not

Originally posted by Stormz

Hopefully I`d be allowed to go on the dole until I got a job, but I don`t have a clue how long you have to wait to get any money (like in the UK it`s 6 weeks at least), or how much the dole would be.

With shipping stuff, my wife has some furniture her Aunt gave her after she died. It`s wood, so would we be able to ship that over or would customs burn it? What about leather furniture?

My wife would like to take her Toyota Rav 4 (1996 3 door) across. It cost us £5000 2nd hand a few years ago and we could probably sell it for £4000 here. From what I`ve read about the import duties it probably wouldn`t be worth taking... what do you think?
I can't help much, except for the following:
Tv - I went to the channel 7 studios in Perth on school camp in 1996, and I think they flimed one minor childrens series, and that was about it. (but that's old info, and prob not complete, and you probably know more about it )

Dole - check out www.centrelink.gov.au then click on 'individuals' , then 'are you looking for work' and then payments...
(I'll be claiming it, but we are just going to apply for any old job (incl cleaning) and after we get somethin like that we'll start looking for 'proper' jobs)

Shipping wood/leather - check out www.aqis.gov.au or www.customs.gov.au
Wood is a problem, but I think a lot will get through as well. Leather I've never heard of being a prob.

Car - from stuff I've heard on this site, it's not a good idea taking it. (do a search, not sure if search button is working though, it doesn't properly for me anyway)

Dogs - do a search, lots on here have done it to.

Good luck with the decision making!
It's hard and always will be!