Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Try and change your life before emmigrating to OZ?

Try and change your life before emmigrating to OZ?

Old Feb 12th 2004, 12:14 am
Life's next chapter is?

theguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by hevs
Meg, you very bored today or what ??

He must be - he went back to edit that one into "huge red font"......

Rich
Old Feb 12th 2004, 12:17 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by theguitardoctor
He must be - he went back to edit that one into "huge red font"......

Rich
I wish someone would put a huge boot up his backside cos he aint doing my eyes any good
Old Feb 12th 2004, 12:34 am
Forum Regular

Waltzin_Matilda will become famous soon enoughWaltzin_Matilda will become famous soon enough

QUOTE(Thats exactly what we have decided to do.

My wife and I have decided to give the UK another year.

We will sell our house and buy another but this time mortage free.

We will go out more to parks, walking, cycling even the seaside (bit nippy but what the hell). All the things we think we want in NZ.

Instead of moving 12000 miles away we will try and find that missing something here at home, with friends and family. We will go on holidays (not had 1 for 3 years) 3 or 4 times. Visit OZ,NZ ect. but do them as tourists with £££ in our pockets and enjoy what these places have to offer. Knowing that we can come back in a few months if we like.

My folks have a place in France that we can visit whenever we want. Not been there yet.

If after a year or so we still feel that something is missing in our lives then we're off. But we would know that we have given the UK our best shot. We will know we havent just gone to NZ upsetting ourselves and family without trying to live the dream here.

Hopefully what we are looking for doesnt mean moving 12000 miles away after all. It might just mean we need to have parts of NZ (the good) in our lives which we can achieve by visiting a few times a year.)

Best of luck to you and your family Jack.......we too have decided to give it a go here in ole blighty. (same reasons) Maybe we need a "stay in the UK" support forum LOL!! I hope you find the life you are looking for. Enjoy your new adventure here in the UK.
Hugs Matilda xx
Old Feb 12th 2004, 12:36 am
Forum Regular

Waltzin_Matilda will become famous soon enoughWaltzin_Matilda will become famous soon enough

Sorry couldnt figure out how to get the quote done the right way!!! .....I need my sleep me thinks!
Old Feb 12th 2004, 12:42 am
Life's next chapter is?

theguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by Waltzin_Matilda
Sorry couldnt figure out how to get the quote done the right way!!! .....I need my sleep me thinks!

Yup ...you need the square brackets [ ] with the word "quote" in between to start with and [ ] /quote in between to finish.....go to bed it's nearly 2 am in the UK !!!

all the best, Rich.
Old Feb 12th 2004, 12:46 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Originally posted by Bix
I wish someone would put a huge boot up his backside cos he aint doing my eyes any good
Would a different text colour suit your spectacles?

Originally posted by Jack Daws

Janeyray or is that "she of the crystal ball (s) "

Thats exactly what we have decided to do.

We will go out more to parks, walking, cycling even the seaside (bit nippy but what the hell). All the things we think we want in NZ.

Instead of moving 12000 miles away we will try and find that missing something here at home, with friends and family. We will go on holidays (not had 1 for 3 years) 3 or 4 times. Visit OZ,NZ ect. but do them as tourists with £££ in our pockets and enjoy what these places have to offer. Knowing that we can come back in a few months if we like.

My folks have a place in France that we can visit whenever we want. Not been there yet.

If after a year or so we still feel that something is missing in our lives then we're off. But we would know that we have given the UK our best shot. We will know we havent just gone to NZ upsetting ourselves and family without trying to live the dream here.

Hopefully what we are looking for doesnt mean moving 12000 miles away after all. It might just mean we need to have parts of NZ (the good) in our lives which we can achieve by visiting a few times a year.

Hope this hasnt depressed too many people.

Jack

Last edited by Megalania; Feb 12th 2004 at 6:22 am.
Old Feb 12th 2004, 2:14 am
BE Forum Addict

melaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud of

Jack,

What a great move and one that I think more people (us included) should have done first.

I really hope that whatever you decided in the end it works out for you and your family.

Best wishes.

Hopefully what we are looking for doesnt mean moving 12000 miles away after all. It might just mean we need to have parts of NZ (the good) in our lives which we can achieve by visiting a few times a year.

Jack

Old Feb 12th 2004, 2:33 am
Forum Regular

Location: From Warrington to Wollongong to Victoria Point (soon)
Thomaz is an unknown quantity at this point

Nah... well, a little I suppose.

Great move and you are very wise indeed to take heed from other people's mistakes.

Never seem to manage to do that myself

I wish you well.
Old Feb 12th 2004, 3:39 am
Forum Regular

Gladrags is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by theguitardoctor
Hi Jat,

I will certainly stop reading newspapers and listening to the news....it certainly has a negative angle in the UK. This knocks on to a lot of people, hence the high rate of people looking to leave....IMO the UK is not so bad...certainly has a lot more upsides than people realise. It sometimes takes a move so far to make you realise you didn't have it so bad. There's definitely a lot of upsides to going back.

Our situation was definitely aggravated by circumstances and my wife's sudden delusionment with NZ..some people ride over these things, whilst others are affected a lot more.

Maybe we weren't as strong as a couple as I thought we were before we emigrated...such is life.

Rich.
It is a tough one isn't it. We were reasonably well off with secure jobs but the wanderlust just got the better of us. We have had the opportunity to travel all over Oz and NZ and try something different but cheap it has not been! We are moving back in April and can't wait.
The gloom mongers can be found everywhere. When we first arrived in NZ all we were asked was 'Why have you moved here?' with a tone of surprise and lack of comprehension. I now see what they were all getting at!
Old Feb 12th 2004, 3:42 am
jat
BE Enthusiast

jat is an unknown quantity at this point

hi gladrags

how long have you been in NZ, where in UK are you heading to and why are you returning? lots of questions i know - sorry!
Old Feb 12th 2004, 5:02 am
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of

Jack

I kind of heaved a sigh of relief when I read this post. After all Australia/NZ isn't going anywhere, will still be here in a years time if you change your minds!!!

Great move, you have to much to loose giving everything up without giving the UK another chance.
Old Feb 12th 2004, 7:01 am
Banned

Jack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond repute

Well thanks for all the support.

Good luck to you all in whatever you do
Old Feb 12th 2004, 9:31 am
(Jon) returning to NZ 04

jandjuk is an unknown quantity at this point

Well thanks for all the support.

Good luck to you all in whatever you do
best of luck to you as well Jack. Holiday's are invariably more fun than living somewhere, so if you can afford them you should have as many as possible!

You have to fully understand the country you're leaving behind before you can appreciate what you're going to.... which is what it sounds like you're going to do over the next year.

Do come back in a year and tell us how you're thinking then!
Old Feb 12th 2004, 11:57 am
Forum Regular

wilko_1984 is an unknown quantity at this point

Good luck to everyone returning home to the UK, I'm sure it'll be worth it.

I've been back almost three weeks now and am just happy and relieved to be back.

Bit bored at the moment though, got a new job starting next week. On the plus side, it was the first job I applied for.

It is hard coming back, but definately worth it. I keep on bumping into people and that's when all the questions start. "You're meant to be in Australia", "What happened?"

Life is slowly getting back to normal, im happy again.

I really feel for all you guys who've lost a lot of money. Personally, I'm financialally no worse off, but my parents have lost a fair bit.

All we can do is put this all down to experience and move on. Hopefully, things will get back to as good as they were before Australia.

Good luck to you all. Take care,

Wilko
Old Feb 12th 2004, 12:11 pm
Forum Regular

angelica will become famous soon enoughangelica will become famous soon enough

We could have changed loads about our lifestyles before we came out to Oz to see if UK was all we wanted in life but at the end of the day there would always have been that niggling in the back of our minds "what if we'd have moved to Oz........." We didn't want to be in UK in 10 years time saying "we had the chance to go & now it's too late"

So we've been here 6 months, lived in 2 states & I can honestly say we've got this obsession out of our heads now, we are on our way back!

God knows how much it's cost us financially, can't bear to look at the figures just yet but we never have been that good with money............... the experience has been worth it all though; to see now that what we really want was right under our noses in UK is priceless.

In hindsight we could say don't bother coming as it's a case of same crap different bucket but life's not like that is it?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.