Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The truth on Wages in oz

The truth on Wages in oz

Old Jul 13th 2003, 4:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Now Now gentlemen.

My Coles docket from last Friday. $176.03. Coles is a typical supermarket, family consists of one man, me, and one teen, plus $6.00 of that was dog food. We grow about half of our own veg.

Elec bill was a shocker, $386 for three months. However we had used the tumble dryer a lot and the pool filter was still on eight hours a day.

Car registration just paid was a touch under $600. for the year insurance $503.

Rates $1800 for full year inc water however this will go up due to increase in land value.

Petrol about $200 a month each and $122 for the teen.

Car service $220 basic book service, set of 4WD tyres (kellys) $798.

House and contents insurance $603.

Phone without business $98 for month. Internet/Tv $83
Dining out for month, Thai for two, Indian three times (sorry I am an addict) $243 however these are cheap places.

Visit to specalist one at $140 got $104 back from medicare, one filling $180 nil back as over limit.

Health Insurance $168 per month.

Cinema, $13 each plus popcorn $8.

Just some of our costs not getting into arguments about them they are real live prices out of my receipts pile. Hopefully helpful to some.
Old Jul 13th 2003, 6:42 pm
Badge

its not a surprise for me how much people spend on food - anywhere - judging from the junk that people buy. By cutting out ALL junk food biscuits and chocolate and puddings, and novelty/lah lah food I spend only 15-20 quid a week in the UK on food - not toiletries admittedly - and I eat well. I cant physically ,manage to spend what I see some spending and I look in to most people trollies and baskets and the JUNK they buy!!

In Aus I was spending about 30 dollars a week on almost exactly the same. For one person.

I buy potatoes, chicken(only meat I buy or minced meat), pasta/rice, veg like mushrooms, onions, leeks, carrots, peppers , sweetcorn for curries and stir-fry, tins of chopped tomato, eggs for omelettes, baked beans, cocunut milk, bread, jar of sauce - eg thai/indian for the chicken or I make my own, cheap OJ/ 12 pints a milk a week in 2 6 pint bottles, block of large cheese..thats most of it!! I make my own curries and stir fries from my own ingredients but use the jar to ring the changes..

I seem to make loads of stuff from these simple items.

Every so often I will spend more on stock items like rice and pasta and a bag or two of each will last say a month to say nothing of the spices which last ages.

badgers

Old Jul 13th 2003, 7:24 pm
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by badgersmount

In Aus I was spending about 30 dollars a week on almost exactly the same. For one person.

I buy potatoes, chicken(only meat I buy or minced meat), pasta/rice, veg like mushrooms, onions, leeks, carrots, peppers , sweetcorn for curries and stir-fry, tins of chopped tomato, eggs for omelettes, baked beans, cocunut milk, bread, jar of sauce - eg thai/indian for the chicken or I make my own, cheap OJ/ 12 pints a milk a week in 2 6 pint bottles, block of large cheese..thats most of it!! I make my own curries and stir fries from my own ingredients but use the jar to ring the changes..

I seem to make loads of stuff from these simple items.

Every so often I will spend more on stock items like rice and pasta and a bag or two of each will last say a month to say nothing of the spices which last ages.

badgers

Your diet is great for a heart attack and $30 dollars is not going to go far.

Old Jul 13th 2003, 7:53 pm
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Originally posted by pommie bastard
Your diet is great for a heart attack and $30 dollars is not going to go far.

How exaclty is that diet good for a heart attack?? Looks pretty healthy to me, no high fat crap in there at all.

Besides its normally a lack of excersise thats the killer....especially when combined with booze and fags.

My wife and I spent on average 90 - 100 dollars a week on food a week when we were out there 2 years ago.
Old Jul 13th 2003, 8:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

$30.00

Loaf of bread $2.50
4 litres of milk $6.00
kilo of chicken breast $10.00
Kilo of spuds $3.00
500g of cheese $4.00
500g mushrooms $4.00

Thats $29.50 !!!! I'm a midget and would starve on that. I think my husband would sue me for abuse if I gave him that to cover a week. Food has gone up a fair bit here in last couple of years. I'm not being funny but cant see the $30.00 thing working now. (Could be good tho if you had a few kilos to loose

Last edited by dotty; Jul 13th 2003 at 8:49 pm.
Old Jul 13th 2003, 9:38 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by dotty
$30.00

Loaf of bread $2.50
4 litres of milk $6.00
kilo of chicken breast $10.00
Kilo of spuds $3.00
500g of cheese $4.00
500g mushrooms $4.00

Thats $29.50 !!!! I'm a midget and would starve on that. I think my husband would sue me for abuse if I gave him that to cover a week. Food has gone up a fair bit here in last couple of years. I'm not being funny but cant see the $30.00 thing working now. (Could be good tho if you had a few kilos to loose
dotty you live in plasticville remember ,and shop at super mall-markets ,try getting off your arse and going to a market MM
Old Jul 13th 2003, 10:09 pm
Forum Regular

Kenand Nel is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by mr mover
dotty you live in plasticville remember ,and shop at super mall-markets ,try getting off your arse and going to a market MM
You know what. We are moving to Australia for a better quality of life - not to live on prison rations from the 1830s.

Anyone anywhere can live for pennies but we want to enjoy life and that includes those little extras like red meat, good fruit and veg, bacon rolls, chocolate, beer and wine and a little pampering now and then!!

Man cannot live on chicken and tatties alone.

Ken and Nel
Old Jul 14th 2003, 8:28 am
Forum Regular

Ruthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of light

badgersmount you sound like my bro - he had a waterfront view and could fish directly from his verandah -but he lived in a converted garage!
Seriously life has the same issues everywhere you go. No point squabbling over the price of milk. We are paying £3.30 for 7 pints of milk a week, but we are helping to keep our local milko in employment and that has to be a good thing.
I had a very happy life in OZ, wouldnt swap it for the world. Enjoy what you all have-health, house, food on the table, sun & rain. Lots of people in the world cant take these things for granted.
Old Jul 14th 2003, 12:28 pm
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by PeteY
How exaclty is that diet good for a heart attack?? Looks pretty healthy to me, no high fat crap in there at all.

Besides its normally a lack of excersise thats the killer....especially when combined with booze and fags.

My wife and I spent on average 90 - 100 dollars a week on food a week when we were out there 2 years ago.
Yeah curry , cheese , eggs , cocunut milk a few weeks of that alone and health problems you would have.
Your shopping bill like most of your posts is bollocks, you should have health warning stamped on head , dreamer first class.

Old Jul 14th 2003, 12:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by pommie bastard

Your shopping bill like most of your posts is bollocks, you should have health warning stamped on head , dreamer first class.

Whereas your a dreamer third class (thats if he dreams at all except when he's at work).
His idea of a good time is to spend all day on the internet harping on about Australia, singing the praises of the Uk, in between swigs from his bottle of Old Grouse. Knocking off time he crawls down to his local, to resume his drinking binge, untill he gets booted out by the regulars who've had enough of his drunken whingeing.
He then rolls up at home to find his wife patiently waiting for him to give him his dinner, only to have him to spew up all over her once she puts his dinner in front of him. After passing out she has to drag him into bed, snoreing and dribbleing for all he's worth.

Der yer get the picture PB because we do.
Old Jul 14th 2003, 1:08 pm
Banned

Originally posted by Kiwipaul
Whereas your a dreamer third class (thats if he dreams at all except when he's at work).
His idea of a good time is to spend all day on the internet harping on about Australia, singing the praises of the Uk, in between swigs from his bottle of Old Grouse. Knocking off time he crawls down to his local, to resume his drinking binge, untill he gets booted out by the regulars who've had enough of his drunken whingeing.
He then rolls up at home to find his wife patiently waiting for him to give him his dinner, only to have him to spew up all over her once she puts his dinner in front of him. After passing out she has to drag him into bed, snoreing and dribbleing for all he's worth.

Der yer get the picture PB because we do.
Spend my day earning cash for this useless country you spend yours wasting it.
The company I turn out for won an Australian award for exports last year , bloody shite because we make sod all here , must be exporting my know how?
Then I keep locals in work by spending it entertaining me and Mrs Bastard , you live on fresh air and salt away cash for a return to Kiwiland.
Look Pal being a IT nerd like you is about as useful to this country as another Pom hairdresser , no less they can cut hair.

Old Jul 14th 2003, 1:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by mr mover
Mr Mover I love the way I irritate you. Your a right little green eyed monster.

My ass is in fine shape thank you mainly due to having a large organic veggie garden and a fair bit of running.

As the items I mentioned were bread milk chicken & cheese perhaps you have a few tips on cow keeping, wheat farming and if the slaughter of chooks is legal on a small property in Buderim.

If you dont like the rest of OZ I'll just keep buying them in Coles.

By the way I live in the middle of a rainforest, house if built up in the trees. A creek runs past my office window,could not be less plastic if you tried.

Keep up humping the furniture XXX

Last edited by dotty; Jul 14th 2003 at 1:30 pm.