British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Trunki (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/trunki-683390/)

alecdel Aug 30th 2010 6:06 pm

Trunki

I know it's a while off yet but I've been thinking of Christmas presents that won't be too much of a burden for going back to Oz next year if we decide not to take a container! Has anybody had any experience of using a trunki on a flight to Oz (we would probably go with Singapore Airlines) and if so what where the good and bad points about them please :)

moneypenny20 Aug 31st 2010 12:03 am

Re: Trunki

Originally Posted by alecdel (Post 8814048)
I know it's a while off yet but I've been thinking of Christmas presents that won't be too much of a burden for going back to Oz next year if we decide not to take a container! Has anybody had any experience of using a trunki on a flight to Oz (we would probably go with Singapore Airlines) and if so what where the good and bad points about them please :)

Just had a quick google, are you talking about odd shaped suitcases? If so I wouldn't bother, looks like there are bits that would get broken off by baggage handlers lobbing them about. If they are just big heavy suitcases then you just have to remember that the weight of the case can lessen the amount of the stuff you put in them. A suitcase is not allowed to weigh more than 23kgs (from memory) or it has to go as heavy and you could be charged more.

herrchook Aug 31st 2010 3:17 am

Originally Posted by alecdel (Post 8814048)

I think they're mainly for use as hand luggage MP so probably not too much of a problem with handling. My girls keep asking for them but they're too old for them now. For littlies, they look fun, and the added bonus of somewhere to sit whilst in queues etc seems a really good idea.

moneypenny20 Aug 31st 2010 3:45 am

Originally Posted by herrchook (Post 8815034)
I think they're mainly for use as hand luggage MP so probably not too much of a problem with handling. My girls keep asking for them but they're too old for them now. For littlies, they look fun, and the added bonus of somewhere to sit whilst in queues etc seems a really good idea.

Ahh, ok. Well if they're not going to slung around holds etc they look like fun for small people.:D

Janna and Nick Aug 31st 2010 5:10 am

My daughter has a Harley (he's the ladybug) and they are good fun. Consider though the age of your children and also the amount of hand luggage you have got already. It was a bit of an incovenience as DD was only 3 and we ended up carrying it more than anything. That and our own hand luggage made the trip quite interesting...

There were a couple of boys in the Heathrow lounge though that were racing up and down with them and having great fun. The only problem was the lounge was packed so not much room for them, but they perservered anyway! :D

Tubbs2Oz Aug 31st 2010 5:16 am

We bought our two boys one each just before we emigrated. We were very glad that we did. While we left our rellies crying at Heathrow the boys zoomed along on their Trunkis waving over their shoulders quite happily through to security. They were 4 and 2 at the time. I try to keep them hidden at home so that they don't use them for zooming around the house.

They were great also while transitting in Singapore for them to use up some excess energy.

I do seem to remember carrying them ourselves a little more than we were expecting to, but it was manageable. The only thing I'd do differently would be pack a little less in them so that I'm not worried every time they want to open them. Oh yes and potentially put a smaller (carrier?) bag inside for the things they might need on the plane so that the Trunki can go in the overhead luggage.

I would ask my boys now whether they're glad they had them, but they'd go running around the house trying to find them straight away! :)

Tubbs2Oz Aug 31st 2010 5:17 am

Janna, I hope the two boys weren't ours! I don't think so though, we came in October!:D

alecdel Aug 31st 2010 6:06 am

Thanks for all your replies.

They do look fun which is obviously a selling point. I was thinking that as my Daughter will be 4 when we need to use it she will be too old for the car seat on wheels that we used last time and so it could be used to pull her instead of carrying her (which she can be quite partial to!). We do have four children and the others are all older (they will be 9, 11 and 15) so there should in theory be lots of people to pull her or help carry it should the novelty wear off.:thumbsup:

My main concerns are that as it's a hard case some airlines might be funny about it as hand luggage or that it might not squeeze in the overhead lockers, it might not be possible to pull it on some surfaces on some stages of the journey and finally that we might end up carrying it plus DD2 as well as our own hand luggage!

At the moment the plus points seem to outweigh the negatives but if you have any stories where they really were more of a pain than a help please let me know so that I can avoid one otherwise I think that may be one christmas pressie sorted :D