Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Is this True-what a dealer told me??

Is this True-what a dealer told me??

Old Oct 31st 2009, 6:08 am
BE Enthusiast

scaria197 is a name known to allscaria197 is a name known to allscaria197 is a name known to allscaria197 is a name known to allscaria197 is a name known to allscaria197 is a name known to allscaria197 is a name known to allscaria197 is a name known to allscaria197 is a name known to allscaria197 is a name known to allscaria197 is a name known to all
Default Is this True-what a dealer told me??

So I emailed a Toyota Dealer using their Website asking for a QUote on a Toyota Rav4. I gave him details on what I was expecting-auto, color and model.

The dealer said that I will need to put a deposit on a model/color I am looking for and it is expected to be delivered early December.

Is it common to put a holding deposit on a car or should I smell a rat?

He did add that if I wanted to choose there were two others expected sooner that were in different colors though.

Any inputs welcome..thanks again!!
Old Oct 31st 2009, 6:31 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is this True-what a dealer told me??

Originally Posted by scaria197
So I emailed a Toyota Dealer using their Website asking for a QUote on a Toyota Rav4. I gave him details on what I was expecting-auto, color and model.

The dealer said that I will need to put a deposit on a model/color I am looking for and it is expected to be delivered early December.

He did add that if I wanted to choose there were two others expected sooner that were in different colors though.

I think that the dealer assumes that you want to buy one, rather than get a quote. I'd email or phone them to clarify the word QUOTE. Sometimes they aren't the brightest.
Old Oct 31st 2009, 8:30 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Bloke
I think that the dealer assumes that you want to buy one, rather than get a quote. I'd email or phone them to clarify the word QUOTE. Sometimes they aren't the brightest.
Tell him matt orange and the cheques in the mail
Old Oct 31st 2009, 8:43 am
BE Forum Addict

wanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to behold

They've given a quote and have followed up by asking the question of a deposit in the expectation of making the sale. Some will pay the deposit to pick the car of choice and wait..... State laws would protect your deposit.

The other vehicles may be floor stock or demos that they want to clear. You may want need the vehicle now and will accept the other choices.
Old Oct 31st 2009, 8:01 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

I have only one suggestion. Get a car broker to quote for your vehicle to compare against the vehicle price you have obtained. They have more buying power than you and it saves you having to cope with the "dealer dance" on price.

For example http://www.carsearchbrokers.com.au/ is one. There are many.
Old Oct 31st 2009, 9:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute

I wanted a special colour last time I had a Toyota and had to wait for it but I did not have to pay a deposit guess it depends on the dealer. Of course if you are looking for a pink rav with orange stripes I would want a deposit too.
Old Nov 1st 2009, 3:52 am
BE Enthusiast

scaria197 is a name known to allscaria197 is a name known to allscaria197 is a name known to allscaria197 is a name known to allscaria197 is a name known to allscaria197 is a name known to allscaria197 is a name known to allscaria197 is a name known to allscaria197 is a name known to allscaria197 is a name known to allscaria197 is a name known to all

ha...very true..can dealers get you the color/specs you want from another dealer. Is it not common for them to search and get that "one" for you?

Sorry did not respond to any before thanks for all your imputs.
Old Nov 1st 2009, 7:59 am
BE Enthusiast

man_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to behold

Yes my GF wanted a Black Rav 4 Edge (about 4 weeks ago) and was going to buy one from our local Toyota we got a good price (35K) and the car was coming into the dealer the following week but she didn't put a holding deposit down as she wanted to see the car first .....a few days later she phoned the dealer and the car was sold obviously someone else was looking for black as well and the reason why the salesman didn't contact us was because the other person probably paid more than 35k for it.

In the end we bought from a dealer 150K away and I put $1000 deposit down for the car and the best I could screw them down on was $35800. It the GF an extra $800 because she waited to see it black but she already test driven it in Gold.

The $1000 was fully refundable if finance did not go through otherwise we would be up for 5% of the agreed price ($1790)
Old Nov 1st 2009, 1:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

cool..congratulations on the new Rav4 edge. And when you say 35,800 that is I assume the Drive-away single figure price?
Old Nov 1st 2009, 6:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

man_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to behold

cool..congratulations on the new Rav4 edge. And when you say 35,800 that is I assume the Drive-away single figure price?
Yes straight sale (no trade in) Drive away plus I managed to get them to add tint to the front 2 windows to match the rear, it looks really good we should have got the front Nudge bar but the GF didn't like it.
Old Nov 2nd 2009, 3:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Mipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud of

You will be able to negotiate a better deal on a car that the dealer already has in stock or one that is on its way here on a boat.
Old Nov 2nd 2009, 10:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Gotcha..it would then be better to negotiate on something on the dealers lot.

Are there any restrictions on from where you can buy your car. I mean theotically could you buy your car from a QLD dealer and drive it to your home in NSW? or you are restricted to buy it from the same state?
Old Nov 2nd 2009, 7:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud of

I would say that generally it would be a better idea to buy locally as even with todays cars issues do come up and than the warranty comes into play. This is with new cars.
Maybe use prices from interstate to help with negotiating the price.
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 1:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Yeah..I assume that new car warranty's have nationwide validity..correct?
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 7:31 am
Lancs to central coast

simnmax has much to be proud ofsimnmax has much to be proud ofsimnmax has much to be proud ofsimnmax has much to be proud ofsimnmax has much to be proud ofsimnmax has much to be proud ofsimnmax has much to be proud ofsimnmax has much to be proud ofsimnmax has much to be proud ofsimnmax has much to be proud ofsimnmax has much to be proud of

Yeah..I assume that new car warranty's have nationwide validity..correct?
Yes I recently worked in a BMW dealership & we carried out warranty work on cars & bikes from all over Oz & a few bikes from UK on long way round trips, selling dealer may offer incentives to have servicing done there but you can have any car serviced wherever you like as long as mechanic is licenced, & still have warranty honoured, main dealers are obviously best for all diagnostic work & factory recalls.
Cheers Sim