British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Is it true I have to take my driving test again? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/true-i-have-take-my-driving-test-again-128922/)

Carrianne Jan 26th 2003 10:48 am

Is it true I have to take my driving test again?

Hi,

Got some literature yesterday from the commonwealth bank, one of the best things I have read everything you needed to know. Inside it stated that within 3 months of arriving in Oz I would need to retake my drivng test and do a theory.

Has anyone done this who has moved over ? Is it pretty difficult ?

Regards

Carrianne

heading downunder 2002 Jan 26th 2003 11:09 am

Hi Carrianne,

Depends which state you are heading for. We are in Queensland where you take the theory part only, not too hard once you have studied their equivalent of the Highway code and got your head around their give way rules. You can keep going everyday until you pass it.

Susan

Carrianne Jan 26th 2003 11:19 am

Hi heading downunder,

We are heading for Queensland so I am glad it's theory only then, I drove over there in jan and found it cool. I am a swat so theory is fine for me.

Thanks chuck

Carrianne

Juls Jan 26th 2003 1:46 pm

Re: Is it true I have to take my driving test again?

Originally posted by Carrianne
Hi,

Got some literature yesterday from the commonwealth bank, one of the best things I have read everything you needed to know. Inside it stated that within 3 months of arriving in Oz I would need to retake my drivng test and do a theory.

Has anyone done this who has moved over ? Is it pretty difficult ?

Regards

Carrianne
Yep you got to take it again, better read the highway code or at least Aussie version of it anyway. Hope I don't have to do any parallel parking "I'd fail every time"!!! Better just wear a short skirt cus it worked the first time round. "BLUSH BLUSH"

Well bye for now
Julie
Adelaide by 30th Jan

tinaj Jan 26th 2003 3:59 pm

Is there any way you can get the Aussie highway code whilst still over here? It would make sense for us to swot up on it before we arrive. May give us something to do on the plane!

Any ideas?

abergas Jan 26th 2003 4:26 pm

Originally posted by tinaj
Is there any way you can get the Aussie highway code whilst still over here? It would make sense for us to swot up on it before we arrive. May give us something to do on the plane!

Any ideas?
Hi tinaj
I have a aussie highway code, I posted a thread on flying compass to see if anyone would mind sending me one, luckily a very nice lady said she would, there is also a website to practise the theory test, we are going to Perth, I think you only have to do a theory test.
I will find the web address for the test and let you know.
hope this helps
c-ya Yve

Mumto4 Jan 26th 2003 7:15 pm

Hi

I'm in NSW and 6 years ago I had to take my test again. Theory first on the computer. You have to answer about 40 questions and only allowed to get about 2 or 3 wrong. Then I did my dirving test again and passed with flying colours. Not sure if you just need the theory in NSW now, I think I read somewhere that's all you need to do. If you do still need to do the test, I advise taking a few proper driving lessons just to get the feel of the road systems with a professional - that's what I did. Good luck!

mashiraz Jan 26th 2003 7:25 pm

You have to do both in South Australia, not sure if they will move to be in line with the other states. I hope so..
Mash..

Originally posted by Mumto4
Hi

I'm in NSW and 6 years ago I had to take my test again. Theory first on the computer. You have to answer about 40 questions and only allowed to get about 2 or 3 wrong. Then I did my dirving test again and passed with flying colours. Not sure if you just need the theory in NSW now, I think I read somewhere that's all you need to do. If you do still need to do the test, I advise taking a few proper driving lessons just to get the feel of the road systems with a professional - that's what I did. Good luck!

lucinda75 Jan 27th 2003 1:32 am

driving tests

I found this in relation to driving tests, I found the whole concept far too scary..too many bad habits!!!

www.austroads.com.au/overseaslicences.html

Nina Jan 27th 2003 6:19 am

Test and handbook for WA

If you are going to WA, you can download a handbook and a test at:

www.dpi.wa.gov.au/licensing/skills/

Good luck,

Nina

2thick Jan 27th 2003 10:56 am

Re: Test and handbook for WA

Originally posted by Nina
If you are going to WA, you can download a handbook and a test at:

www.dpi.wa.gov.au/licensing/skills/

Good luck,

Nina
Following on from this, in WA you only have to take the theory test which is a 30 question multiple choice test (on the PC). You can get up to 6 wrong i.e. passmark 24/30.

2thick

Carrianne Jan 27th 2003 2:56 pm

Hi thanks but I will be off to Queensland hopefully