Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The true facts of cordless phones??? PLEASE

The true facts of cordless phones??? PLEASE

Old Mar 17th 2003, 9:22 pm
too busy to work members

yafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really nice
Default The true facts of cordless phones??? PLEASE

I have heard a few comments about cordless phonesnot being permitted in australia. What reason for this prohibition? If it is not true would the UK phones work out there? How expensive and how GOOD are australian cordless phones.
Any other info gratefully received please.

I know we would have to change the plugs on UK phones but surely like in UK we could buy these easily in australia (or not)

Old Mar 17th 2003, 9:47 pm
Not here

Florida_03 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: The true facts of cordless phones??? PLEASE

Originally posted by yafm
I have heard a few comments about cordless phonesnot being permitted in australia. What reason for this prohibition? If it is not true would the UK phones work out there? How expensive and how GOOD are australian cordless phones.

I know we would have to change the plugs on UK phones but surely like in UK we could buy these easily in australia (or not)

All telecommunications and Radio devices must meet certain standards before being permitted for connection to the Australian phone network.

This is mostly to protect telecommunications workers from harmful voltages on the network from customer equipment.

Manufacturers must comply with certain standards and when tested to those standards they are labelled as being compliant. Only labelled equipement can be connected.

It is unlikely that a UK phone (cordless or wired) will be labelled as compliant to the required standards for connection to the Australian telecommunications network.

See http://www.aca.gov.au/standards/ for more details.

See http://www.harveynorman.com.au/ for cordless phone prices.

The quality of the phones in Australia is the same as anywhere else.
Old Mar 17th 2003, 10:29 pm
Not here

Florida_03 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Florida_03
All telecommunications and Radio devices must meet certain standards before being permitted for connection to the Australian phone network.

This is mostly to protect telecommunications workers from harmful voltages on the network from customer equipment.

Manufacturers must comply with certain standards and when tested to those standards they are labelled as being compliant. Only labelled equipement can be connected.

It is unlikely that a UK phone (cordless or wired) will be labelled as compliant to the required standards for connection to the Australian telecommunications network.

See http://www.aca.gov.au/standards/ for more details.

See http://www.harveynorman.com.au/ for cordless phone prices.

The quality of the phones in Australia is the same as anywhere else.
Should add that although it is illegal to connect a non-complaint device to the network, if you do it will most likely work fine.
Old Mar 18th 2003, 2:25 am
Just Joined

Mike O is an unknown quantity at this point

The standard is almost identical to European. You will not have problem with phones.
Old Mar 18th 2003, 6:27 am
BE Enthusiast

etlniwd is an unknown quantity at this point

Except that they won't ring.
Old Mar 18th 2003, 7:21 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Originally posted by yafm

Just a quick reply.

I brought my cordless from Singapore, it was a long range Panasonic - actually worked about 2 k's away from the receiver (and yes, I wasn't supposed to bring it here) - it worked fine.

When that got broken (I dropped it on the hard floor - actually I chucked it at Hubby, and it smashed on the floor).

When this got broken - I bought one from the states (ebay), because it was cheaper (long range again) - and this worked fine too.

The law does say it has to be Telstra etc approved - but yes overseas phones do work here - I've had two, which are not Aussie approved.

cheers
Old Mar 18th 2003, 7:45 am
too busy to work members

yafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really nice

Thanks everyone for the input

Ceri what did you do about the plugs?
Old Mar 18th 2003, 9:01 pm
Just Joined

etlniwd , in order for the phone to ring, someone must actually dial your number!!!

Seriously though, if you have a problem with a phone, then the ringer is broken. Pretty much the whole world uses -48//+48 volts for phone systems. I don't think anything else is used today even in the deepest darkest jungles of the congo.
Old Mar 18th 2003, 11:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

etlniwd is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Mike O
etlniwd , in order for the phone to ring, someone must actually dial your number!!!

Seriously though, if you have a problem with a phone, then the ringer is broken. Pretty much the whole world uses -48//+48 volts for phone systems. I don't think anything else is used today even in the deepest darkest jungles of the congo.
In the UK the ringing capacitor is in the master socket, not in the phone. In Australia (and most of the rest of the world) the ringing circuitry is contained in the phone and not the socket. Consequently it is likely that a phone designed for use in the UK will not ring when it is plugged into an Australian phone socket.

If you don't believe me then try it for yourself.
Old Mar 19th 2003, 12:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold

The problem is the frequecy they use to communicate between the base unit and the handset. Different countries set aside different frequencies for different jobs.

I don't know what freq they use here but, if it came from abroad it could conflict with garage door openers, radio control models, etc. Because each application is given a freq range to use for that application, and not all countries use the same freq ranges.

So telephones would use 10-20, radio models would use 20-30, etc. This is just an example and not the actual values.
Old Mar 19th 2003, 2:37 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Originally posted by Kiwipaul
The problem is the frequecy they use to communicate between the base unit and the handset. Different countries set aside different frequencies for different jobs.

I don't know what freq they use here but, if it came from abroad it could conflict with garage door openers, radio control models, etc. Because each application is given a freq range to use for that application, and not all countries use the same freq ranges.

So telephones would use 10-20, radio models would use 20-30, etc. This is just an example and not the actual values.
I was told once - not sure if this true, but some of the long range ones can interfere with things like the radios for ambulance and emergency services.

Yafm , I'm not quite sure what you mean about the plugs - running from my cordless phone is an Ac adaptor input 230 -240v ( just buy an adaptor)

cheers

P.s - yes the quality of the phones are good in Aus - but they are definitely more expensive to buy the "Good" ones - this is one of the reasons I bought mine from the states after a broke my Singapore one ( it was actually cheaper to buy it there and pay for the postage than buying the same model in Aus) - P.s don't forget it is illegal to do this - and if you do buy abroad, if customs see' it - they will take it off you.
Old Mar 19th 2003, 8:06 am
too busy to work members

Thanks everyone Food for thought I think I might as well take it on the off chance it will ring as I would not get anything for it here and it takes up little room.
Old Mar 19th 2003, 6:07 pm
Just Joined

Red face

etlniwd

my apologies, you are correct. Is that still done in new instalatons? But a phone purchased elsewhere will (or should) work in UK.

However, I still stand by my statement that someone must actually dial your number for the phone to ring.
Old Mar 21st 2003, 8:29 am
too busy to work members

We think - if there is room to stuff the phone in a plant pot or something we shall take it and try? Can't lose anything that way.