Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

is it true about the flies

is it true about the flies

Old Apr 18th 2004, 6:15 am
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of
Default Re: is it true about the flies

Originally posted by elllis
a friend visited wa and said the flies were terrible lots of them and is there a fly season or is someone winding me up ?
id like to know how bad they really are ! and do they dive bomb?

Your friends is correct, there most definitely is a fly 'season' in WA. For around 3 months of the year it is virtually impossible to eat outdoors, unless you like to eat the flies to. I found it awful and hated it. My work outdoors was almost unbearable at times and something I couldn't live with.

Seems yesterday and today for some reason they are back in 'your face' again, maybe because we had a bit of rain?
Old Apr 18th 2004, 7:08 am
ABCDiamond

Someone mentioned something about Melbourne the other day, which put me right of going there

Now the fly's in WA ? Hmm, glad I'm in Brisbane
Mind you they weren't that bad in Sydney either..

Old Apr 18th 2004, 8:36 am
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

we get them in nz too, really persistant buggers ... nothing like the feeble uk flies ... the ones here will not be put off by a little wave of your hand and do make a dive for you or your dinner
Old Apr 18th 2004, 10:35 am
Badge

in WA in December 02 I recall being INUNDATED by flies out on Cape Naturaliste. That was only out on the cape.

Apparently, the flies were a particular problem as the bugs that ate them had also been reduced by some blight.

BM

Old Apr 18th 2004, 11:40 am
I'm an individual!

Centurix is an unknown quantity at this point

when you arrive from the uk, the australian government give you a box with your standard issue 40,000 flies.

the trick with flies is not to keep your mouth open.

oh, and it's not the flies you need to worry about. buy a can of aerogard and keep yourself protected for when the mosquitos are around.
Old Apr 18th 2004, 12:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

The worst flies I ever saw were in WA. We were down south and stopped at the most stunningly beautiful beach you ever saw, that was totally deserted. When we got out of the car we knew why. Flies so bad you could not open your mouth to speak. We were out of there real quick and left the beautiful beach to the flies.

Never bothered particularly by flies in Sydney. Eating outdoors is not usually a problem and no fly here has ever bitten me. Out in the country it's worse but the city is fine. You might get the odd fly around in midsummer when you're eating outside - but I always think thats a small price to pay for not having picnics etc ruined by wasps.
Old Apr 18th 2004, 1:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

dibrucewillis is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah we were in Perth in March and the flies were really bugging me.
I soon developed the Aussie Wave.
I was quite lucky though as I didn't swallow any of them.

They do definitely dive bomb and even when you are wearing sunglasses they try to get underneath them and onto your eyes.

Somebody told me that they are after the moisture

We were also warned about the magpie season.
They on a number of occasions have harmed children when they have been walking to school by swooping down on them and pecking them.

Not a nice thought.

Di
Old Apr 18th 2004, 1:34 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Now that I know what is meant by dive bombing: yes, they do!
Arghh! Get everywhere.
They like to sit on the back of your sweaty t-shirt too. I remember seeing lots of flies on white t-shirts....

And yes, the magpies can be scary.
There was a particular road I had to use.... :scared: Didn't peck me though, just swooped.

Mozzies are a pain too.
Old Apr 18th 2004, 1:51 pm
Forum Regular

hutchy is a jewel in the roughhutchy is a jewel in the roughhutchy is a jewel in the roughhutchy is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: is it true about the flies

Originally posted by elllis
a friend visited wa and said the flies were terrible lots of them and is there a fly season or is someone winding me up ?
id like to know how bad they really are ! and do they dive bomb?
I cant stand flies but i am in WA , rockingham and i can honestly say they r not to bad here compared to victoria,have noticed them for the last few days only and i have been here for around 8 weeks, but in vic we were swarmed by them and also mozzies which i was bitten to bits by, and here havent had 1 bite, touch wood.I do use a spray which does help but we live near the beach so maybe that is the difference, in vic we were more rural, near swamps etx where flies and mozzies breed,xxJan Hutchyxx
Old Apr 18th 2004, 1:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

desperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to all
Red face

We spent a month travelling from North Queensland down to Sydney in December and the only time we had a real problem with flies was a couple of hours outside Sydney. I know they are only flies but they do drive you mad and completely put me off living in that area. Didnt have any problems in Queensland but it may just be the time of year?
Old Apr 18th 2004, 2:22 pm
I'm an individual!

Centurix is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a photo of my wife as a kid riding down her street on her bike with an ice cream container on her head to protect her from the magpies.

Apparantly it was a common sight with kids in the 70's and 80's before stack hats were made mandatory for cycling.
Old Apr 18th 2004, 5:21 pm
Go Banana's !!

If you any of you think you've experienced bad flies in WA you want to go to my Aunty in Laws farm an hour north of Geralton.

The piggery was just a black cloud of them. I had thousands on my back :scared: but I coped

After that, back in the suberbs of Perth, I hardly noticed them (we went March/April).

So I figure if I ever feel the flies are bad in Perth I can go up to Geralton to remind me they are not THAT bad.

The tales of the 'head pecking' birds worry me a bit though !

Jill

Old Apr 18th 2004, 11:02 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by dibrucewillis

We were also warned about the magpie season.
They on a number of occasions have harmed children when they have been walking to school by swooping down on them and pecking them.

Not a nice thought.

Di
Magpies normally won't swoop if you are looking at them.
So...

Wear a pair of sunglasses on the back of your head, or paint a pair of eyes on to the back of a cap.

Old Apr 18th 2004, 11:55 pm
Badge

Outback in rural NSW you get the swarms of flies that try to get everywhere, but at least they don't bite or suck.

BM

Old Apr 18th 2004, 11:56 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by ABCDiamond
Magpies normally won't swoop if you are looking at them.
So...

Wear a pair of sunglasses on the back of your head, or paint a pair of eyes on to the back of a cap.

This is an intertesting site:

http://www.viacorp.com/flybook/fulltext.html

We've just come back form a trip to Exmouth, via Shark Bay. We didn't find the files too bad in Exmouth, but that could be because in Shark Bay they were particularly bad. Even the locals were complaining.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.