Is this true?

Old Jan 29th 2004, 6:13 pm
Forum Regular

Shaz&Phil is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Is this true?

RENT REBATE WHEN YOU ARRIVE
Some news that should linterest you new comers. When you arrive as a perminant resident and you are looking for work you can claim a rebate on any rent you are paying. You only get the payment while you are not working and you get it from center link along with your child benefit.
I have just filled a from out for the family we have in the Mandurah house ( they told me about it actually) and they are going to get back around $100 a week.
Hope this helps
=============================

Just copied and pasted the above from a previous thread 4 or 5 days ago. Is this definite does anybody know and is it only for families with kiddies?

Phil
Old Jan 29th 2004, 6:19 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is this true?

Originally posted by Shaz&Phil
Some news that should linterest you new comers. When you arrive as a perminant resident and you are looking for work you can claim a rebate on any rent you are paying. You only get the payment while you are not working and you get it from center link along with your child benefit.
I have just filled a from out for the family we have in the Mandurah house ( they told me about it actually) and they are going to get back around $100 a week.
Hope this helps

Just copied and pasted the above from a previous thread 4 or 5 days ago. Is this definite does anybody know and is it only for families with kiddies?

Phil
I understood you could not claim any benefits for two years.

Ironic if you can, given the number of people who cite 'asylum seekers' being given 'free handouts' in the UK as one of their reasons for leaving

G
Old Jan 29th 2004, 7:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Shaz and Phil,

yep, it's true!

Unlike the 2 yr waiting for any other benefits, you are able to recieve rent assistance, until you begin work and yes it can be as much as $100.

If you go on the centrelink website, you can check out the facts for yourselves.

Bear in mind, as we do, that although it sounds great, you probably shoulden't base your finances around it and should make sure you have enough money to rent whatever you are looking for, without the added assistance.

Good luck.
Old Jan 29th 2004, 7:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

P.S

it's:

www.centrelink.gov.au

Last edited by steandleigh; Jan 29th 2004 at 7:59 pm.
Old Jan 30th 2004, 1:27 am
Superfreak!!

Stormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to all

And unlike the UK, it doesn`t matter if you are staying with family.. they will still halp you with your rent.
Old Jan 30th 2004, 1:39 am
Merlot

Hope this helps

Phil
That has p****d me off no end, the rule not you guys Shaz&Phil.

I came here on a working visa met my hubby got married (nearly 6 years married now so not a sham wedding) then went for Permanent Residency.

I had to walk through burning hoops for bloody everything, tax, medicare, immigration, the lot. Medicare for example I had to re-apply for every 3 months. Tax, I was hit with a huge bill as they said I should have been paying a higher rate being on a Temp Spouse Visa at the time - luckily I had a good Accountant that fought my ground!

When hubby was out of work a couple of years ago, the company he worked for folded and left the staff without any money or entitlements, we went to Centrelink to be told that as your wife earns $29,000 per year, she is over the $28,000 you are entitled to NOTHING!!

I have worked full time since 1997, him since 1987 in Oz.

All I wanted to do is whinge how crap systems are sometimes.

To those who can get this rebate, I say go for whatever help you can folks as when you go to the Doc's and find out he does not bulk bill this money can cover those types of costs.

Good luck to those new settlers.
Merlot

Last edited by Merlot; Jan 30th 2004 at 1:56 am.

Old Jan 30th 2004, 1:54 am
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by Stormz
And unlike the UK, it doesn`t matter if you are staying with family.. they will still halp you with your rent.
"Rent certificates are required to verify rent where a customer does not have a formal written tenancy"

Centrelink and the Tax office have closer ties these days, so the people receiving the rent should be aware !

Old Jan 30th 2004, 1:55 am
Superfreak!!

Stormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to all

Feel for you Merlot, and totally agree. Same thing happens here where the govt is doing their best to bend you over.....
Old Jan 30th 2004, 2:00 am
Merlot

Originally posted by Stormz
Feel for you Merlot, and totally agree. Same thing happens here where the govt is doing their best to bend you over.....
Universal me thinks with governments!

I wasn't trying to be snappy with those who can get the benefits, you must take every helping hand in this world.

I just feel that hubby & I never ask for a brass razzo from anyone, when we put our hand out in a genuine situation it was returned empty.

Makes you wonder why the hell do we pay taxes, I think robbing banks and drug dealing must give you a better reward for your work.

Merlot oh Feisty One!

Old Jan 30th 2004, 2:01 am
ABCDiamond

Hope this helps

Phil
I think you must have kids to be able to claim in the first 2 years. And you must be eligible for Family Tax Benefit part A.

you can claim a rebate on a part of the rent you are paying