Truck Licenses

Old Jan 17th 2007, 9:16 am
Forum Regular

drivetrain is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Truck Licenses

Hi, i've just moved to Queensland, has anyone changed their UK Heavy Goods licences over to the Heavy Rigid and/or Multi Combination? Am i required to take a retest here or just a theory test. Many thanks in anticipation
Old Jan 17th 2007, 9:25 am
Forum Regular

tallbloke67 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Truck Licenses

Hello

I am sorry but I can't help on this but would love to know the answer as well to this. I am now in IT and have been for ten years but it would be good if I knew I could use this if things went pear-shaped. I have an LGV Class I (articualted)

Martin
Old Jan 17th 2007, 9:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by drivetrain
Hi, i've just moved to Queensland, has anyone changed their UK Heavy Goods licences over to the Heavy Rigid and/or Multi Combination? Am i required to take a retest here or just a theory test. Many thanks in anticipation
You need to take a practical driving test for any class of licence except a car or motorbike.

http://www.transport.qld.gov.au/qt/L...sing_question1

It's down near the bottom of the page.
Old Jan 17th 2007, 9:41 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes you have to do a theory and a practical for anything above a car licence or maybe not........ Recently the theory test for cars was abolished so if your lucky you may now just have to do a practical. QLD transport office down the road at Kelly Court (off Kayleigh Drive) Maroochydore will be able to tell you chapter and verse or look at the web add below

http://www.transport.qld.gov.au/qt/L...yvehicles_home
Old Jan 17th 2007, 10:12 am

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes you do have to do a theory and road test, you can do the theory at the same time as you convert your car and/or bike license then do road test later... You will get either a license that say's you can't double de clutch or double the clutch or whatever you call it (other half not present to correct and he's the one that knows) or one that say's you can but they don't give them very often now and relates to something to do with which trucks with which gear boxes you can use.

Hubby used Ian Watson near Brisbane http://www.ianwatson.net/

For more info see the Aussie links on the first page of this link...

http://www.truckguide.com.au/truck-driving-schools.html
Old Jan 17th 2007, 10:57 am
Where's the factor 30.

Mid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of light

I think if you are not a Permanent resident you are allowed to drive the equivelant spec truck over here.As long as your UK licence clearly states this size and class of truck.Once a permanent resident however you have to apply for a Queensland licence and this means a practical for trucks...

edit ..just took this off Queensland Transport..

" Return to top

How long do I have to change over? (overseas licence)
You must change the licence to a Queensland driver licence when all of the following apply:
You obtain resident/immigrant status in Australia.
You take up permanent residence in Queensland.

Once these apply, you need to change the licence over within three months.
If you do not have resident/immigrant status, and are visiting Queensland on a visa, there is no requirement for you to change over your licence.

As long as your licence is current, it clearly states the type of vehicle you can drive and it is in English, or you have an authorised translation, you can drive on Queensland roads using that licence.

""

Last edited by Mid Lifer.; Jan 17th 2007 at 11:01 am.
Old Jan 17th 2007, 11:15 am
BE Enthusiast

woody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant future

My hubby transferred his licence recently.

Yes he had to take a theory test. They gave him a sample of questions (I think there were 20 in total) and he was asked 10 of them. A con really as he just had to memorise the answers so not a real test of road knowledge.

He then had to take an assessment of his driving. He went to a local driving school, had one lesson and then his test.

Nothing to worry about at all.

He was told that he could drive an HC truck on his UK licence for 3 months but the local haulage companies weren't too happy as they had trouble insuring him. We are temporary residents so no long term break given there.

Debs