Truck drivers

Old Feb 24th 2005, 11:18 am
Breast Inspector

zx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond repute
Default Truck drivers

Any truck drivers heading to Oz?
Old Feb 24th 2005, 11:32 am
Banned

Quinkana will become famous soon enoughQuinkana will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Truck drivers

Originally Posted by zx10r_aus
Licensed?

Old Feb 24th 2005, 2:06 pm
ad4ozz

Can you drive that on a HGV 1 or do you need to take a plant operators license???

And you have a bike as well that's cheating... .

Old Feb 24th 2005, 3:34 pm
Forum Regular

The Hun is on a distinguished road

Yeah, visa applications in, hoping to be there mid/end June.

I've read a bit about transferring licences, anyone got anything cast iron about truck drivers exchanging licences like for like?
Old Feb 25th 2005, 10:59 am
Breast Inspector

zx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond repute

I had a full Australian Heavy Vehicle license. I could drive anything from small hgv to road train. But, when I wanted to transfer it the DVLA would only give me a car and motorcycle license. They told me that the two governments didn't have an agreement to exchange these type of licenses. So I got a pcv license and now I'm driving buses. However, when I go back to Australia I will get my HGV license back. I have been driving trucks for 10 years all over Australia and then all of a sudden I cant because of some stupid government red tape. But, I guess thats life.
Anyway thats me letting off a little steam, I'm sorry for that. I don't know what you will expect when you go to Australia I hope you don't have to go through what I went through.
Jim
Old Feb 25th 2005, 12:43 pm
Forum Regular

Lunnons is a jewel in the roughLunnons is a jewel in the roughLunnons is a jewel in the roughLunnons is a jewel in the rough

I thought that the English HGV didn't apply in Australia???
Old Feb 25th 2005, 2:50 pm
Forum Regular

smood has a brilliant futuresmood has a brilliant futuresmood has a brilliant futuresmood has a brilliant futuresmood has a brilliant futuresmood has a brilliant future

I'm heading out in the next couple of months. I'm getting a bit pissed off with driving for a living so I'm not sure I will want to carry on when I get to Oz.

I was talking to a road train driver when I was in Alice Springs last year.
All he did every week was drive from Adelaide to Darwin,tip his 3 loads and drive back again. That would drive me mad. He told me he had been driving that route for 25 years. Said he watched videos the whole way and never looked outside (very safe). The cops in Uk would do ya for lighting a fag these days!

I used to dream of driving on roads like in Oz but now I think it would bore the shite out of me after a few trips. Though I'm not sure that I could do anything else now. Maybe I will stick to local work. Heading for adelaide, what about you?
Old Mar 9th 2005, 9:56 am
Just Joined

the ronans is an unknown quantity at this point

Can anyone help. We're heading to OZ soon and have been trying to get clarification from the RTA as to whether my husbands HGV 1 Licence is recognised in OZ. If he has to take his test again (bad news after 22 years driving) can he go straight in for class HC or work his way up through the lower classes which could take years?
Old Mar 9th 2005, 1:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

kevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond repute

I have been looking into this and have had an email from Oz saying the following
Quote:

Thank you for your e-mail.

You may transfer your foreign drivers licence over to a Queensland Drivers
Licence. You will need to bring with you, the following:-

- foreign drivers licence and
- if your licence is not written in English, you must obtain a
recognised English translation

Only the following are accepted as a recognised translation:

- Nationally accredited translator or interpreter
(http://www.naati.com.au) or on phone number (07) 3393 1358.
- Consulate translation
* On official letterhead
* Signed by the Consul-General
* Stamped with official consulate stamp

- Produce the required documents to establish your identity - we will
accept a passport or an Australian Birth Certificate , and either a keycard
or credit card showing your current signature on the card, plus another
acceptable form of identity. I have attached an application form which
outlines all of the Evidence of Identity requirements. You can also get
more information regarding evidence of identity requirements from our
website. The link is:

http://www.transport.qld.gov.au/qt/f...8?OpenDocument
End of Quote

If you look on their website it tells you that your existing licence types get transferred over. Although I haven't driven a truck for years it's always good as a fallback

Kevin
Old Mar 9th 2005, 6:59 pm
Forum Regular

smood has a brilliant futuresmood has a brilliant futuresmood has a brilliant futuresmood has a brilliant futuresmood has a brilliant futuresmood has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by the ronans
Can anyone help. We're heading to OZ soon and have been trying to get clarification from the RTA as to whether my husbands HGV 1 Licence is recognised in OZ. If he has to take his test again (bad news after 22 years driving) can he go straight in for class HC or work his way up through the lower classes which could take years?

I think it depends on which state you are going to as they seem to differ.