Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Truce on Spelling and Grammar!

Truce on Spelling and Grammar!

Old Feb 21st 2003, 8:56 am
Forum Regular

sully4441 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Truce on Spelling and Grammar!

Is anyone else fed up with having to check spelling and for grammatical errors before posting, just in case the 'text police' are reading? I'm all for clear English without the need for swear words or the ***'s that appear, but most times I read this forum last thing at night (with the odd exception) with a glass of red in hand. Whether it's the time or the drink, sometimes the spelling goes to the wall, but there again where would I be without the good old spell checker on Word. We all know what people mean anyway. Now there's an idea lets have a dictionary on here, so at least when someone is losing an argument they can't resort to 'my spellings better than yours'
What do you think?
Old Feb 21st 2003, 6:34 pm
Inverted Firkin Inventor

Watt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Truce on Spelling and Grammar!

Originally posted by sully4441
Is anyone else fed up with having to check spelling and for grammatical errors before posting, just in case the 'text police' are reading? I'm all for clear English without the need for swear words or the ***'s that appear, but most times I read this forum last thing at night (with the odd exception) with a glass of red in hand. Whether it's the time or the drink, sometimes the spelling goes to the wall, but there again where would I be without the good old spell checker on Word. We all know what people mean anyway. Now there's an idea lets have a dictionary on here, so at least when someone is losing an argument they can't resort to 'my spellings better than yours'
What do you think?

Hear, here, to rite!!
Old Feb 21st 2003, 7:17 pm
Ex Mod (2002-2005)

ptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond repute

Is anyone else fed up with having to check spelling and for grammatical errors before posting, just in case the 'text police' are reading?
My voluntary job as a moderator keeps me busy enough without having the additional 'value-added' job of text police.

Personally, I don't like the SMS text abbrevations (think: u, r, 4, 2, b4, etc) but that's my own opinion.

If anyone resorts to abusing another person (member) about his/her spelling/grammar capabilities when some discussion gets personal, report the post and we'll see what happens to the slanging match.

Cheers,
Peter
Old Feb 22nd 2003, 4:03 am
2thick

What do you think?
Have to disagree with you with a possible caveat. As you say some of the time spelling and/or grammar goes to the wall d.t. typos, fuddled head or whatever. If the posting concerns requests for information, help with sorting out a problem etc very few people will take exception to poor grammar and or spelling. However most of the disagreements, swearing and flaming relate to personal insults made against individuals and or countries particularly Oz/UK. If you're going to insult someone's culture, beliefs, ideals, country.... then expect to get a harsh response and if your spelling, grammar or general level of literacy is low, tough s***. Made that last point to illustrate that no matter what, people will feel the need to swear. Surely better that they use a few "****'s" than spell out the whole word - particularly as there may be children, or others of a sensitive disposition, reading this forum??

2thick

Old Feb 22nd 2003, 9:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Stan J has a brilliant futureStan J has a brilliant futureStan J has a brilliant futureStan J has a brilliant futureStan J has a brilliant futureStan J has a brilliant future

On this topic has anyone noticed how Aussie Supermarkets have "Eight Items or Less" signs, wheras (I'm told) the correct grammar is "Eight Items or Fewer" as one see's in the UK!
Old Feb 22nd 2003, 12:28 pm
too busy to work members

yafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really nice

Originally posted by Stan J
On this topic has anyone noticed how Aussie Supermarkets have "Eight Items or Less" signs, wheras (I'm told) the correct grammar is "Eight Items or Fewer" as one see's in the UK!

Eye halve a spelling chequer
It came with my pea sea
It plainly marques four my revue
Miss steaks eye kin knot sea.

Eye strike a key and type a word
And weight four it to say
Weather eye am wrong our write
It shewes me straight a weigh

As soon as a mist ache is maid
It nose bee fore two long
And eye can put the error rite
Its rarely ever wrong

Eye have run this poem threw it
I am shore your pleased two no
Its letter perfect in its weigh
My chequer tolled me sew.

:PARTY:
Old Feb 26th 2003, 8:57 pm
huge,throbbing member

baldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nice

Mrs B's given up on my spelling AND my appalling handwriting.Last week she ran upstairs all flustered cos she thought the post-it on the fridge said I'd SHOT meself.
She had to laugh when she saw me doing handstands in the shower cos the bidet was full

BB-cleanliness is next to cleanly in my dictionary
Old Feb 26th 2003, 9:09 pm
huge,throbbing member

baldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nice

top man!
loved it!
Another Derick and Clive fan?
lms
WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOO ? (just kiddin')
Is that Derek Batey from Mr & Mrs and Clive Tyldesley,the annoying commentater ?

BB-you really shouldn't put choccy heaven as your location when I'm on-line ---especially as I've seen a film of the same name