Reload this Page >

Trouble finding a Project Management Job in Perth

Trouble finding a Project Management Job in Perth

Old May 9th 2010, 7:56 pm
Just Joined

tvella is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Trouble finding a Project Management Job in Perth

Hello all,

I have been looking for a Perth based Project Management role for the past five months but have not had any luck.

I am currently based in the UK and hold a working holiday visa. I have been trying to secure a position prior to leaving the UK without much luck. I am looking for short term 2-6 month contract roles.

Once I get settled, my Australian partner and I will apply for the Partner Visa.

If anyone can put me in touch with someone who might be able to help, it would be greatly appreciated. In return, I am also a trained proof reader should anyone need help in this area.

Thanks
Tim
Old May 9th 2010, 9:50 pm
Back to WA! Yay!

mark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Trouble finding a Project Management Job in Perth

Originally Posted by tvella
Hello all,

I have been looking for a Perth based Project Management role for the past five months but have not had any luck.

I am currently based in the UK and hold a working holiday visa. I have been trying to secure a position prior to leaving the UK without much luck. I am looking for short term 2-6 month contract roles.

Once I get settled, my Australian partner and I will apply for the Partner Visa.

If anyone can put me in touch with someone who might be able to help, it would be greatly appreciated. In return, I am also a trained proof reader should anyone need help in this area.

Thanks
Tim
i'm sorry to say very very unlikely that you will secure something beforehand. You really have to be in the country. Unless recruiters are looking overseas intentionally they really aren't interested - and this is true especially for Perth, who are quite focused on domestic talent (and WA experienced). I found it really hard just moving from Melbourne to Perth, and i was actually commuting weekly so was fortunately able to attend interviews etc.

Also PM roles for 2-6 month contracts are likly to be filled by local candidates rather than overseas or 457's.
Old May 10th 2010, 1:45 am
BE Forum Addict

hoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond repute

Hello all,

Thanks
Tim
You are still in the uk = zero chance of a contract PM role.
Old May 10th 2010, 1:47 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hoofie2002
You are still in the uk = zero chance of a contract PM role.
Especially on a WHV.
Old May 10th 2010, 1:57 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Especially on a WHV.
Especially for a contract of 2-6 months in Project Management.

I would be shocked if he was able to find a job before coming over. I think it will still be difficult once in the country with that kind of a position for a short term contract.

My husband is a mining engineer and we found it very, very difficult to get a job while overseas even with having a PR visa (and a highly in demand occupation). We never did find a job and ended up having to come here first, kids and all before he eventually found one.
Old May 10th 2010, 2:24 am
BE Enthusiast

canadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond repute

It’s going to be very difficult, probably near impossible to find the role while in the UK and only holding a WHV – which is really just a Backpacker visa.

Your best chances are coming out and then looking.
Old May 10th 2010, 2:30 am
Pie Eater

coolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud of

Aren't WHV meant for low skilled jobs? Didn't think skilled migrants would be using them.
Old May 10th 2010, 2:34 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by coolshadows
Aren't WHV meant for low skilled jobs? Didn't think skilled migrants would be using them.
You can do any job on a WHV.
Old May 10th 2010, 2:35 am
BE Enthusiast

canadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, they are really designed to work and travel, the travel being the main objective and the work being incidental to fund the travel... reason most get jobs a bar staff, handing out flyers or fruit picking.

The rule used to be that you couldn’t work in your usual occupation and any job you did get could only be for 3 months. But they changed all that a while ago, you can now work in any occupation and work up to 6 months for the one employer.

But regardless, I think it’s pretty hard to secure a job in Oz from the UK on a WHV (with the limitations and such, it’s not worth it for employers, plus considering it’s designed for backpackers).
Old May 10th 2010, 2:36 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: Trouble finding a Project Management Job in Perth

My English brother in law is an architecht and he came to Australia on a WHV. It's a convenient visa for skilled workers as well. He managed to pick up a few months' work in NSW while he was here.
Old May 10th 2010, 2:37 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Yes, but there's no reason someone that's highly skilled can't find work in their field.

Unfortunately high skilled or more professional jobs would be difficult to find because they are generally more permanent positions and more of an investment from the company. So while you can get a WHV and come over looking for a highly skilled job it doesn't mean you'll find it. If I was looking for a professional person I would not be using someone on a WHV.

The posters best bet is to get themselves in the country on that visa and apply for the Partner visa as soon as they can. Then they might have more of a hope in landing a better job.
Old May 10th 2010, 3:03 am
Forum Regular

Dorutland is just really niceDorutland is just really niceDorutland is just really niceDorutland is just really niceDorutland is just really niceDorutland is just really niceDorutland is just really niceDorutland is just really niceDorutland is just really nice

What sort of projects have you managed. What sort of value?
Old May 10th 2010, 4:14 am
BE Enthusiast

jimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to all

I contracted all over Oz on a WHV working in engineering. It was great, I earned about 3x what the other backpackers I was staying with did, even then I was still being screwed for being a backpacker on my rates.

As said before, you will not get any work from abroad. Secondly, I very much doubt there's any project management contracts going for 2 months, they would have to be tiny little jobs, which most aren't in Australia
Old May 10th 2010, 5:15 am
Proudly Deplorable

Originally Posted by jimbo_d
I contracted all over Oz on a WHV working in engineering. It was great, I earned about 3x what the other backpackers I was staying with did, even then I was still being screwed for being a backpacker on my rates.

As said before, you will not get any work from abroad. Secondly, I very much doubt there's any project management contracts going for 2 months, they would have to be tiny little jobs, which most aren't in Australia
Same with me. In 1995 I contracted with a large engineering company in Sydney at about $30/hr - whilst my mates who were labouring, doing bar work etc were on $8-12.

I didn't have a WHV and was working illegially too.
Old May 10th 2010, 6:28 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Hello all,

Thanks
Tim
So you're planning on coming over on a WHV and then applying for a spouse visa whilst here? Why do you not apply for a spouse visa straight up?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.