Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Tropical Cyclone Ellie,Qld Coast Cairns - Mackay

Tropical Cyclone Ellie,Qld Coast Cairns - Mackay

Old Feb 2nd 2009, 8:45 am
BE Forum Addict

jimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tropical Cyclone Ellie,Qld Coast Cairns - Mackay

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Bit wet in Ingham now Ellie has gone over
http://inghamcam.info/
and more here -
http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/g...-17382,00.html

Yep we have had abit down here in Townsville It would appear they are now expecting Ellie to go out to sea and reform....
Old Feb 2nd 2009, 10:52 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimtrish
Yep we have had abit down here in Townsville It would appear they are now expecting Ellie to go out to sea and reform....
Thats certainly one theory they keep mentioning to us, question is which way she'll go once she reforms.......hopefully away from the coast, but thats the way they reckoned she'd go originally and she did a very sudden move in the wrong direction.
Old Feb 2nd 2009, 11:49 am
BE Forum Addict

jimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond repute

Thats certainly one theory they keep mentioning to us, question is which way she'll go once she reforms.......hopefully away from the coast, but thats the way they reckoned she'd go originally and she did a very sudden move in the wrong direction.

Its certainly a worry, again it just shows how unpredictable they can be. There is a low out in the coral sea too..
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 8:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Rabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of light

1625mm since January 1st - I am 4 inches taller than that!

Evacuation underway
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 9:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Rabc

Evacuation underway

well, due to webbed feet, I shall now be known as Daffy
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 10:35 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Evacuation underway
You personally? Ingham is certainly not looking or sounding too good, and the forecast is truly scary.
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 11:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Rabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of light

nah, not me - folks on the northern beaches and south of the city. We are sending a few of our EHOs up to Ingham to help with evac centres and estalishing a safe food/water supply. My counterpart at Hinchinbrook Council is travelling around in a tinnie He sent be pictures of it moored up to a stop sign outside their offices

Shame it's not snow - now that would be interesting.

Webbed feet You'll be getting a reddening of the neck if your not careful. This is Townsville remember

Last edited by Rabc; Feb 3rd 2009 at 11:46 am.
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 1:55 pm
Home and Happy

nah, not me - folks on the northern beaches and south of the city. We are sending a few of our EHOs up to Ingham to help with evac centres and estalishing a safe food/water supply. My counterpart at Hinchinbrook Council is travelling around in a tinnie He sent be pictures of it moored up to a stop sign outside their offices

Shame it's not snow - now that would be interesting.

Webbed feet You'll be getting a reddening of the neck if your not careful. This is Townsville remember
We've been getting reports all day of people wanting evacuation or assistance. At least a lot of the house in Ingham are highset so they only have water under them so far. One of the big concerns now seems to be getting replacement staff in for the council, hospital etc so that the normal staff can look after their own homes and families.The mess thats left afterwards will take some clearing up won't it. Lets just hope we get to the clearing up stage fairly soon......
Hard to believe too that people in places like Karumba could be cut off for another 2 months yet, isn't it.
Old Feb 4th 2009, 8:09 am
BE Enthusiast

We've been getting reports all day of people wanting evacuation or assistance. At least a lot of the house in Ingham are highset so they only have water under them so far. One of the big concerns now seems to be getting replacement staff in for the council, hospital etc so that the normal staff can look after their own homes and families.The mess thats left afterwards will take some clearing up won't it. Lets just hope we get to the clearing up stage fairly soon......
Hard to believe too that people in places like Karumba could be cut off for another 2 months yet, isn't it.

Luckily houses in Ingham have to include living areas which are above the 1977 flood level which means everything built in the last 30 odd years is a highset for this very reason.

We have people on their way to deal with the problems up there, they should be there now. Other agencies, SES and the Defence force are all ready to go but can't do anything until the water subsides.

Just need to make sure that people don't take their eye of the Dengue fever epidemic. One problem at a time.

Oh Is that rain outside That will make a change

In the meantime we watch the low off the coast.
Old Feb 4th 2009, 8:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Luckily houses in Ingham have to include living areas which are above the 1977 flood level which means everything built in the last 30 odd years is a highset for this very reason.

We have people on their way to deal with the problems up there, they should be there now. Other agencies, SES and the Defence force are all ready to go but can't do anything until the water subsides.

Just need to make sure that people don't take their eye of the Dengue fever epidemic. One problem at a time.

Oh Is that rain outside That will make a change

In the meantime we watch the low off the coast.

....and eat more birthday cake
Old Feb 4th 2009, 9:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jimtrish
....and eat more birthday cake
Hmmmmmmmm birhday cake

yours?
Old Feb 4th 2009, 9:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Looking forward to Oz has a brilliant futureLooking forward to Oz has a brilliant futureLooking forward to Oz has a brilliant futureLooking forward to Oz has a brilliant futureLooking forward to Oz has a brilliant futureLooking forward to Oz has a brilliant futureLooking forward to Oz has a brilliant future

Oh No!!

I'm due to arrive in Cairns on 12 Feb. I'm really not looking forward to it at all now. Talk about dreading spiders, dreading mozzies (and their fever thing) and dreading rain, no scrap that, dreading cyclones...i really don't want to move to Cairns anymore.

First it was cyclone Charlotte now your saying there's another cyclone called Ellie....arghhhhhhhhhhhhhh. I always thought i'd be estatic on my last week...how wrong one can be...hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Why can't people post nice happy stories about how amazing Cairns is??
Old Feb 4th 2009, 9:50 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Looking forward to Oz
First it was cyclone Charlotte now your saying there's another cyclone called Ellie....arghhhhhhhhhhhhhh.
And another one potentially on the way.......

http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/s...0-3102,00.html
Old Feb 4th 2009, 9:52 am
Feeble Minded

SillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Looking forward to Oz
Oh No!!

I'm due to arrive in Cairns on 12 Feb. I'm really not looking forward to it at all now. Talk about dreading spiders, dreading mozzies (and their fever thing) and dreading rain, no scrap that, dreading cyclones...i really don't want to move to Cairns anymore.

First it was cyclone Charlotte now your saying there's another cyclone called Ellie....arghhhhhhhhhhhhhh. I always thought i'd be estatic on my last week...how wrong one can be...hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Why can't people post nice happy stories about how amazing Cairns is??
Cairns is great I'm really happy here - the people are friendly, the weather is glorious for most of the year - it's wonderful!

But we all have to be realistic - this is the tropics and you do get bad weather and beasties sometimes. It is easy to offset those against all the beauty that surrounds us and that is what makes Cairns a great place to be.
Old Feb 4th 2009, 10:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Hmmmmmmmm birhday cake

yours?

Yep Im officially old today...40

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.