Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

triple citizenship .. applying for a third

triple citizenship .. applying for a third

Old Feb 11th 2004, 8:40 am
Merlot

Originally posted by Ceri
We took out citizenship because we will not be staying here forever. So I would advise you, if you are thinking of leaving in the future, try and stick PR out for two years, and go and get your citizenship (it’s pretty straight forward).. ie don’t burn your bridges. If we were planning to stay in Aus for ever, neither of us would have taken out the citizenship, I’m quite happy with PR.. I don’t believe in the compulsory voting for one – hardly very democratic.
Cheers
VERY sound advice, I did the same. Some would say "How selfish, you don't like the place and are leaving", well I say "bugger them".

I jumped through hoops to stay in the country where my husband lived, paid taxes, re-applied for Medicare very 3 months, took lower wages as I was not a PR/Citizen and generally got treat like a 3rd class human. I earned the passport and you never know when I have to come back to Oz - my In Laws are here for a start!

Merlot

Old Feb 11th 2004, 8:41 am
Forum Regular

jwatsonoz will become famous soon enough

Interesting that people take out citizenship because they do not want to live there! It sort of defeats the purpose!

I think they should make you swear that your intention is to keep Australia your home. I don't think they should monitor this though...as plans obviousley change.

Do they actually ask WHY you want to be a citizen?

Jay
Old Feb 11th 2004, 8:49 am
BE Enthusiast

simbacat is an unknown quantity at this point

Lets just say you are all very lucky, if you think of taking out double or triple citizenship.
Old Feb 11th 2004, 8:52 am
Merlot

Originally posted by jwatsonoz
Interesting that people take out citizenship because they do not want to live there! It sort of defeats the purpose!

I think they should make you swear that your intention is to keep Australia your home. I don't think they should monitor this though...as plans obviousley change.

Do they actually ask WHY you want to be a citizen?

Jay
I don't think they ask you why as they are advertising like mad for people to become them, makes their figures look good.

My reasons for Citizenship as explained, to a degree I have earned it, another is the ease if I had to come back due to family reasons and YES I may hate the UK so much, or just want to return to Oz in a few years time. Advice on this Forum indicates "never to burn bridges".

We never know what is around the corner!
Merlot

Old Feb 11th 2004, 8:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by Merlot
I don't think they ask you why as they are advertising like mad for people to become them, makes their figures look good.

My reasons for Citizenship as explained, to a degree I have earned it, another is the ease if I had to come back due to family reasons and YES I may hate the UK so much, or just want to return to Oz in a few years time. Advice on this Forum indicates "never to burn bridges".

We never know what is around the corner!
Merlot
So the grass might not be that green at home (UK) then? Can you really earn citizenship? I know this is the way it is done but still, I think it has nothing to do with earning it.
Old Feb 11th 2004, 9:05 am
Merlot

Originally posted by simbacat
So the grass might not be that green at home (UK) then? Can you really earn citizenship? I know this is the way it is done but still, I think it has nothing to do with earning it.
Well the way some posters describe it the UK sounds like the Lost World! I can't wait to go back and give it a go. I am very optimistic. The only down side is the possible whinges from those living there, the English are ver negative about things in general - this includes some of my family & friends (some, not ALL thankfully).

I also have a husband whose family - Mum, Dad and siblings are here in Oz so I will forever have a "foot in both camps".

If you knew what crap I had to put up with along the way, yes I feel as if I have earned it. I have worked full time from day one, never took a cent off the state, I have been a good and hard working member of the community. I had crap from the tax office, medicare and immigration.

If I had to give a passport up, yes it would be the Australian one, I say that now and will say that in 5, 10 years time. As said in one of my previous posts, I'd dump my Aussie life in a garbage bag at the airport.

I apologise if this offends those wanting to get to Australia to fulfil their dreams and here is me giving it all up. I never wanted to live in Australia, my marriage brought me here. But I have to be realistic and take the opportunity of 2 passports when I can.

Now I want to live back at home with family and friends.

Regards
Merlot

Old Feb 11th 2004, 9:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by Merlot
Well the way some posters describe it the UK sounds like the Lost World! I can't wait to go back and give it a go. I am very optimistic. The only down side is the possible whinges from those living there, the English are ver negative about things in general - this includes some of my family & friends (some, not ALL thankfully).

I also have a husband whose family - Mum, Dad and siblings are here in Oz so I will forever have a "foot in both camps".

If you knew what crap I had to put up with along the way, yes I feel as if I have earned it. I have worked full time from day one, never took a cent off the state, I have been a good and hard working member of the community. I had crap from the tax office, medicare and immigration.

If I had to give a passport up, yes it would be the Australian one, I say that now and will say that in 5, 10 years time. As said in one of my previous posts, I'd dump my Aussie life in a garbage bag at the airport.

I apologise if this offends those wanting to get to Australia to fulfil their dreams and here is me giving it all up. I never wanted to live in Australia, my marriage brought me here. But I have to be realistic and take the opportunity of 2 passports when I can.

Now I want to live back at home with family and friends.

Regards
Merlot
I can sympathise with you in many respects, since the same reason you state brought you to Australia, brought me to the UK. I am living here now for over 12 years and believe me it hasn't been easy. But I never felt I earned a UK passport, I have been treated like sh*t as well and had a few of those "I really hate foreigners comments".

You don't need to apologise for your feelings since you didn't chose Australia, you can't help with who you fall in love with. In some respect that makes it a lot more difficult.
Old Feb 11th 2004, 10:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

onlyme is an unknown quantity at this point

Anyone know the reasons that citizenship is sometimes revoked ?
Anything to do with long absences from the country concerned ?
ie. If I got an Aussie passport and immediately left Oz and didn't comeback for 10/15 years, could my passport be revoked ? Or is it a case of once you've got it it's yours for life as long as you haven't done anything dodgy ?
Thanks,
Old Feb 11th 2004, 10:59 pm
Merlot

Originally posted by simbacat
I can sympathise with you in many respects, since the same reason you state brought you to Australia, brought me to the UK. I am living here now for over 12 years and believe me it hasn't been easy. But I never felt I earned a UK passport, I have been treated like sh*t as well and had a few of those "I really hate foreigners comments".

You don't need to apologise for your feelings since you didn't chose Australia, you can't help with who you fall in love with. In some respect that makes it a lot more difficult.
It was heartening to hear you have a similar story but the other way round (country wise). I guess we don't think that Australian's/NZer's have similar problems and hurdles over in Blighty.

I think being a "foreigner" does make you more tolerant of others, I feel like I have become that way through the struggles here.

Thanks for your post.
Merlot

Old Feb 11th 2004, 10:59 pm
I like kittens.

downunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by onlyme
Anyone know the reasons that citizenship is sometimes revoked ?
Anything to do with long absences from the country concerned ?
ie. If I got an Aussie passport and immediately left Oz and didn't comeback for 10/15 years, could my passport be revoked ? Or is it a case of once you've got it it's yours for life as long as you haven't done anything dodgy ?
Thanks,
Being convicted of treason against Oz, maybe. Can't think of any other reason. If you were a major drug dealer then they might confiscate your passport, but they wouldn't be allowed to revoke it, once granted.
Old Feb 11th 2004, 11:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

onlyme is an unknown quantity at this point

From the Irish passport website :

Revoking citizenship
The Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform can revoke your certificate of naturalisation if:

You obtained it through fraud, misrepresentation or concealment of material facts or circumstances
You have, through an overt act, failed in your duty of fidelity to the nation and loyalty to the State
You were ordinarily resident outside Ireland (other than in public service) for a continuous period of seven years and, without a reasonable excuse, did not register your name and a declaration of your intention to retain Irish citizenship with an Irish diplomatic mission or consular office or with the Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform on an annual basis
You are also, under the law of a country at war with the State, a citizen of that country
You have, by any other voluntary act other than marriage, acquired citizenship of another country.
Before revoking your certificate of naturalisation, the Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform will inform you in advance, stating the reasons why the certificate is being revoked and your right to apply to the Minister for an inquiry into the reasons for the revocation.

If you apply for an inquiry into a decision to revoke your certificate of naturalisation, the Minister will refer your case to a Committee of Inquiry, which will report its findings to the Minister.
Old Feb 11th 2004, 11:52 pm
Forum Regular

queenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant future

I read a small article published in the newspaper on Australia Day this year regarding famous Aussies who had to give up their citizenship to live abroad.

In this article it said that Australia has only allowed dual citizenship since 2002. Can anyone confirm this?

Queenie
Old Feb 11th 2004, 11:55 pm
Merlot

Originally posted by queenie
I read a small article published in the newspaper on Australia Day this year regarding famous Aussies who had to give up their citizenship to live abroad.

In this article it said that Australia has only allowed dual citizenship since 2002. Can anyone confirm this?

Queenie
Not sure but I think that certain countries will allow you to have dual - e.g. Britain & Australia, but I think Malaysia and Australia, you have to chose one.

Merlot

Old Feb 12th 2004, 2:36 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

The law changed recently and Australians can obtain dual citizenship. Check out the FAQ on www.citizenship.gov.au .