Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

triple citizenship .. applying for a third

triple citizenship .. applying for a third

Old Dec 1st 2003, 1:29 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all
Question triple citizenship .. applying for a third

Not quite sure where to put this question, but I though I'd put it in this forum as someone Irish or other maybe able to answer it for me .

I've always wondered about this; Applying for an Irish passport/citizenship by decent.

In the laws "Any one born on the Island of Ireland is considered to be a citizen". N.Irish people can apply for an Irish passport too (if you read this law) , it seems to me that all you need to do is register your birth with Ireland. Mary McAleese is Northern Irish - both the Irish (Ireland as In South) , and British constitution allows the Northern Irish to take out Irish citizenship... it's a weird law if you read through it.

Any child born to an Irish parent (even if that child is not born in Ireland) is automatically considered Irish. All it seems you need to do is to register your birth which can be done in any Irish consulate.

My question is .. if that child who was born outside Ireland wants to register their birth.. ie then you can go get a passport. Does the Northern Irish parent need to register her birth first.

My other question is if this is the case that the parent needs to register their birth first., I have another angle the grandparents - ie grandparents were born before 1922 when Ireland was Ireland. So if this is the case you can apply under Irish law (apply..it's not a right) by decent.

So really what I am asking is it the RIGHT of a child born to a N.Irish parent - does that parent first have to register their birth before the child can do so. (registering your birth you can then get a passport as a birth RIGHT).

My mum has always told me I have rights under my grandparents (ie her parents.. and not from her, but it seems to me I can claim directly from her (?) - under "anyone born on the Island is considered a citizen".. all it requires is to register the birth with Ireland .. by birth right, but does she need to do hers first before I register myself??

hope it makes sense
..anyone know? . Or, perhaps I need to ask the Irish consulate here in Aus.

Thanks for any help
Old Feb 10th 2004, 3:14 am
BE Enthusiast

onlyme is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: triple citizenship .. applying for a third

are you allowed to hold triple citizenship when in Oz ?
Old Feb 10th 2004, 3:41 am
I like kittens.

downunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to behold

I'd guess that your mother would have to be registered, so that you can include her passport details / birth cert. in your app.

But, why bother? Not that I have anything against the Irish - I'm a quarter Irish myself (apparently). I'm just wondering why two passports aren't enough?

Still, some people collect stamps. I guess you could look at passports as being stamp books.....
Old Feb 10th 2004, 3:58 am
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

I dont understand it either DUP....i can see the point of it if you are intending to live in the new country but don't want to lose ties or rights in your homeland, but other than that i see no reason.
My mother is Swedish, but i never had the urge to go there let alone take out citizenship.
Old Feb 10th 2004, 4:00 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Originally posted by onlyme
are you allowed to hold triple citizenship when in Oz ?
Hi onlyme, where on earth have you been? you're like a blast from the past.

Last time I saw you on here you were trying to get PR wasn’t you? (what happened? Are you still here in Aus?)

Long time – no hear

Yes I can.

Nobody answered my query.
Since then, I have found out what I needed to know ( want something done – do it yourself )
I have now been accepted for Au citizenship, I’m just waiting for the “pompous ceremony� to collect my certificate.

I asked the question because my mum has always told me I’m entitled to an Irish passport by birth – Yes she was right, all I need to do I get my mums birth details and her parents too.

Cheers
Old Feb 10th 2004, 4:03 am
I like kittens.

downunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by Ceri
Nobody answered my query.

I asked the question because my mum has always told me I’m entitled to an Irish passport by birth – Yes she was right, all I need to do I get my mums birth details and her parents too.

Cheers
Sounds like I was right then.

(Nobody answered, indeed! Bloody cheek!)
Old Feb 10th 2004, 4:12 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Originally posted by downunderpom
Sounds like I was right then.

(Nobody answered, indeed! Bloody cheek!)
The reason why I asked the question in the first place (back in December when I posted this) . Long time ago . ...while I was livng in Sing, the Brit embassy was no help - a friend of mine (who was working for the Irish office/outpost) said I should have asked them for help. My mum who is Irish, has always told me I can walk into any Irish consulate and ask for help - no I can't! I need proof who I am - ie she never did register my birth with Ireland ( any child born to a person who was born on the island - whether the child is born outside can legally get a passport) It pays to keep all options open. I am legally entitled to hold an Irish passport, but never pursued it up until now ... just one of those things that I've been meaning to do for years

It helps while travelling the world.. all options open

Cheers

Last edited by Ceri; Feb 10th 2004 at 4:17 am.
Old Feb 10th 2004, 9:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

onlyme is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello Ceri,

Yes I am still in Sydney. I've been in Aus for 3.5 years now. I tend to only look on here when I need some information. I got bored with that bloke from Perth who kept on writing over everyones messages, can't remember his name but he had an ape for his photo. I've got PR now and I am currently waiting to get the passport. I have to wait until April 2005. Incidently, how quickly can you get the passport once you have done the 2 years of PR required ?

I am still wondering whether or not I should stay here. I seem to change my mind every other week.

I have got an Irish and a UK passport so far. The reason being that an Irish passport is more useful when dealing with America than the English one ie. It's easier to get a green card with an Irish passport than it is with an English one and this was something I was considering and still am. Also it helps if you want to claim the dole in those countries ! Not that I want to, but you never know.

Cheers
Old Feb 10th 2004, 10:35 pm
Forum Regular

jwatsonoz will become famous soon enough

I thought that if you were a British Citizen you are excluded from the greencard lottery (irrespective of wether you hold other citizenships such as Irish or Australian).

Anybody know?
Old Feb 10th 2004, 10:40 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by jwatsonoz
I thought that if you were a British Citizen you are excluded from the greencard lottery (irrespective of wether you hold other citizenships such as Irish or Australian).

Anybody know?
It's based on country of birth, UK born people (excluding N. Ireland) cannot apply.
Old Feb 10th 2004, 10:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

Why???????
Old Feb 10th 2004, 10:49 pm
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by podgypossum
Why???????
The diversity lottery is designed to pull in people from countries who otherwise have a low quota of immigrants into the US. The UK has a high volume moving to the US in all visa categories so they are exempt from applying.

You can apply on your parents country of birth too in some cases.

I have three passports, will eventually have four and never have a problem with it. If your parent is Irish there is no registration of birth abroad process. You submit your long form birth cert when you apply for your Irish passport.
Old Feb 10th 2004, 10:49 pm
Forum Regular

jwatsonoz will become famous soon enough

country of birth... thats it

The objective of the greencard lottery is to get diversity so they exclude people who are from countries that are already over represented. In other words: there are already a lot of brits in America. I think it is easy to go though if you get a job offer.
Old Feb 10th 2004, 11:10 pm
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by jwatsonoz
country of birth... thats it
That's not quite it. If you were born in an ineligible country, but your spouse was not, you can claim your spouse’s country of birth instead of your own, provided you and your spouse will immigrate to the United States together. Both you and your spouse can submit individual entries. If you were born in a country where neither parent was born or residing at the time, you may be able to claim one of their countries of birth.
Old Feb 10th 2004, 11:56 pm
Y Ddraig Goch

Originally posted by onlyme
Hello Ceri,

Yes I am still in Sydney. I've been in Aus for 3.5 years now. I tend to only look on here when I need some information. I got bored with that bloke from Perth who kept on writing over everyones messages, can't remember his name but he had an ape for his photo. I've got PR now and I am currently waiting to get the passport. I have to wait until April 2005. Incidently, how quickly can you get the passport once you have done the 2 years of PR required ?

I am still wondering whether or not I should stay here. I seem to change my mind every other week.

I have got an Irish and a UK passport so far. The reason being that an Irish passport is more useful when dealing with America than the English one ie. It's easier to get a green card with an Irish passport than it is with an English one and this was something I was considering and still am. Also it helps if you want to claim the dole in those countries ! Not that I want to, but you never know.

Cheers
AU Citizenship is pretty straightforward. I submitted the applications online, it took about two weeks for them to send me an interview date. The postmistress held my interview in a local post office. Questions were just general questions (information about myself, ie date of birth etc) Then the usual questions about criminal records, and have you been a member of a terrorist organisation etc. Then final questions was “what are the duties and rights of Au citizenship�, which is pretty obvious, voting, you must defend Au if called upon etc.. Common sense. (Incidentally my “hubby� got the duty question wrong – well not wrong so-to speak, he didn’t hear the interviewers question and he said “pardon?� as in; can you repeat the question I did not hear you – so she turned around and said I shall have to tick no, you don’t know your duties (she was a right b*tch!). So we thought “that’s it, he won’t get citizenship.. He’s blown it�

Myself and “Hubby� (de-facto) were two separate applications and separate interviews – If you are legally married they are one application, De-facto they treat them as two different applications

Then about three weeks later (It can take months, but it was pretty quick for us – perhaps it was a slow time for them) we both received letters saying congratulations you have been accepted for Citizenship, and they will soon mail out a date for the citizen ceremony, which you must attend. This involves swearing an oath on Aus, and collecting your AU certificate of citizenship. It’s then totally up to you if you want to go and get an Au passport, you don’t have to carry one if you don’t want to – it’s the certificate that’s the important thing.

We took out citizenship because we will not be staying here forever. So I would advise you, if you are thinking of leaving in the future, try and stick PR out for two years, and go and get your citizenship (it’s pretty straight forward).. ie don’t burn your bridges. If we were planning to stay in Aus for ever, neither of us would have taken out the citizenship, I’m quite happy with PR.. I don’t believe in the compulsory voting for one – hardly very democratic.

…………………� �€¦.

PB has not been on here for months, since he went back to “blighty�, The forum isn’t the same with out him (I liked PB.. sorry, didn’t agree with everything he said but I did think some of the things he said were correct.).

Cheers

Last edited by Ceri; Feb 11th 2004 at 1:15 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.