Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Triple citizenship? ! ?

Triple citizenship? ! ?

Old May 6th 2005, 6:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

swissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to all
Default Triple citizenship? ! ?

Hello,

Now that I have PR, I want to make sure that I can get my aussie citizenship one day! but...

I am Swiss, I am Italian (therefore dual!). I am pretty sure that Australia allows 3 but can anyone confirm that:

Switzerland allows 3 and Italy as well???

It must be somewhere on the internet or in a very wise person's brain.

If a country allows 2 passports, does it automatically allow 3?

thanks for your input!

fabie!
Old May 6th 2005, 8:16 pm
So Happy We could Dance

rob&lucy is a name known to allrob&lucy is a name known to allrob&lucy is a name known to allrob&lucy is a name known to allrob&lucy is a name known to allrob&lucy is a name known to allrob&lucy is a name known to allrob&lucy is a name known to allrob&lucy is a name known to allrob&lucy is a name known to allrob&lucy is a name known to all
Default Re: Triple citizenship? ! ?

[QUOTE=swissfabs]Hello,

Now that I have PR, I want to make sure that I can get my aussie citizenship one day! but...

I am Swiss, I am Italian (therefore dual!). I am pretty sure that Australia allows 3 but can anyone confirm that:

thanks for your input!
I'd be interested too.Technically I have Iranian (don't want to 'renew' it at the mo) & British which i've had forever. So by having Australian would i have to forgo one?
Lucy
Old May 6th 2005, 9:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all

This is a good one fabie - I have two already and when I get my Australian it will be my third Fabie, when you get here we can have a nice chat in italiano over a coffee down Tedder
Old May 6th 2005, 10:37 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by swissfabs
Hello,

thanks for your input!

fabie!
It's not a case of 'allowing' two or three or four passports. It's a question of whether the country concerned will revoke your citizenship if you acquire or possess another.

Some countries, for example, allow dual citizenship if acquired at birth but not otherwise.

As far as I am aware, both Switzerland and Italy allow their citizens to naturalise elsewhere. You should confirm this - go to Google and start searching for something like 'Swiss citizenship' and that ought to lead you to some official websites pretty quickly.

Jeremy
Old May 7th 2005, 1:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold

I've got 3 passports Brit, NZ and Ozzie, and their is nothing on any of the applications stating any limit. So you can have as many citizenships as you can accumalate (but it can start getting expensive keeping all the passports current)
Old May 7th 2005, 6:57 am
BE Enthusiast

swissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to all

Thanks everyone,

Well I have spent my evening on google and coudnt really find the answer, but it might come up if i keep looking! But it's really annoying cause there is no way i would give up my Swiss or Italian!! Gosh life is too complicated! sooo many passports to choose from!

Debsy: yup coffee on Tedder sounds great, count me in! Do they still have this place called "hard coffee" next to the Night owl? How are you settling in?

Anyone else has got 3 passports?

have a great week end!

fabie
Old May 7th 2005, 11:33 am
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all

Thanks everyone,

Well I have spent my evening on google and coudnt really find the answer, but it might come up if i keep looking! But it's really annoying cause there is no way i would give up my Swiss or Italian!! Gosh life is too complicated! sooo many passports to choose from!

Debsy: yup coffee on Tedder sounds great, count me in! Do they still have this place called "hard coffee" next to the Night owl? How are you settling in?

have a great week end!

fabie
Yep it is still there
Old May 7th 2005, 11:36 am

Vanessa is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks everyone,

have a great week end!

fabie
Step son has : British by Descent, NZ by Descent and just applied for Aus by birth.
Old May 7th 2005, 12:16 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kiwipaul
I've got 3 passports Brit, NZ and Ozzie, and their is nothing on any of the applications stating any limit. So you can have as many citizenships as you can accumalate (but it can start getting expensive keeping all the passports current)
Unless the law of one of the 'extra' countries puts an obstacle in the way. If you wanted to become naturalised Singaporean or Danish, for example, you would have to show evidence you had renounced formally your British, NZ and Australian citizenship.

There is no problem with having all three British/NZ/Australian - many people do.

Jeremy
Old May 7th 2005, 10:11 pm
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by rob&lucy
[
thanks for your input!
I'd be interested too.Technically I have Iranian (don't want to 'renew' it at the mo) & British which i've had forever. So by having Australian would i have to forgo one?
Lucy
You would not have to forego British citizenship.

As for Iranian citizenship, you might well want to get rid of it but Iran may not make that possible. Be aware that as an Iranian citizen, the power of the British government to protect you if you go there is virtually non-existent. For example, if you were prevented from leaving.

For example:
"Iran does not recognise dual nationality. Australian/Iranian dual nationals will be regarded solely as Iranian citizens by the Iranian authorities. This may limit the ability of the Australian Government to provide consular assistance to Australian/Iranian dual nationals who are arrested or detained. Australian/Iranian dual national males who have not completed military service may be prohibited from leaving Iran. Dual national females may require the permission of their husband or a senior male relative to leave Iran."
http://www.smartraveller.gov.au/zw-cgi/view/Advice/Iran

How did you obtain Iranian citizenship, out of interest? And if you'd rather not have it, have you investigated if it's possible to renounce it under Iranian law?

The British Foreign Office advises new (British) citizens who have renounced or automatically lost their old nationality to get confirmation in writing from the other country, and send evidence to the Foreign Office Nationality Division as proof they are entitled to British protection in the country concerned.

Jeremy

Last edited by JAJ; May 7th 2005 at 10:24 pm.
Old May 7th 2005, 10:24 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kiwipaul
Could someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I wouldn't have thought that citizenship depends on keeping one's passport(s) current.

After all, a lot of people never acquire a single passport in their whole lives - they're still citizens of their country...
Old May 7th 2005, 10:33 pm
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by DonnaElvira
Could someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I wouldn't have thought that citizenship depends on keeping one's passport(s) current.

After all, a lot of people never acquire a single passport in their whole lives - they're still citizens of their country...
Some countries do have laws of this type (eg the Netherlands) but not the UK, Australia or New Zealand.

However Australia does require Australian citizens to enter and leave Australia on an Australian passport, so a UK/Aus/NZ citizen does need an Australian passport.

Although you can use an Australian passport to visit the UK (provided you don't mind queueing up at immigration), if *living* in the UK or elsewhere in Europe, you'd need a British passport.

Australians can live freely in NZ, and NZ is ok with its citizens arriving on Australian passports, so there would be no need for an Aus/NZ dual citizen to have a New Zealand passport as well. Some other proof of NZ citizenship would be useful to have for the occasions this might be needed.

Jeremy
Old May 7th 2005, 11:06 pm
JAJ
Retired

Thanks everyone,

A very quick Google search came up with the following:
http://www.italconphila.org/english/citizenship.html

Dual citizenship is allowed for Italian citizens who acquire or reacquire another citizenship after August 15, 1992.

However, due notification of any (re) acquisition must be given to their local civil records office no later than three months after its occurrence. Italian citizens who reside abroad are required to notify the Consular Office with jurisdiction over their place of residence by appearing personally

ADVISORY: Failure to give notification of the acquisition or re-acquisition of a foreign citizenship within the three-month period carries a fine of 200,000 to 2,000,000 Lire.

And for Swiss citizenship:
http://www.bfm.admin.ch/index.php?id=139&L=3

"Dual nationality has been permitted without restrictions in Switzerland since 1st January 1992. Thus people who acquire Swiss nationality no longer have to waive their previous nationality, as was the case before (although there is a possibility that the law of the country of origin provides an automatic loss of nationality if another nationality is voluntarily acquired). Swiss citizens who acquire another nationality abroad do not have to forego Swiss nationality (as was indeed the case even before 1992) unless the other country requires that they waive their Swiss nationality on naturalisation.

The vast majority of dual nationalities have no longer arisen from naturalisation since men and women achieved equality with regard to passing their nationalities on to their children in virtually all the countries. Thus children of nationally mixed marriages acquire at least two nationalities. This has not resulted in any problems worth noting. As a rule, military service is done in the country in which the applicant is resident at the time of conscription. People who have done military service in a foreign country will no longer be called up in Switzerland.

Incidentally the information in the table below this link (concerning which foreign citizens can naturalise in Switzerland while keeping their citizenship) is now out of date for Australia as it was compiled in August 2001.

And while it is true that an NZ citizen who naturalises elsewhere can lose citizenship (as suggested by the table), this rarely if ever happens.

However keep up to date on Swiss law as there was a referendum proposal not so long ago that would have banned dual citizenship. I don't believe it was passed, but you should check.

Jeremy
Old May 7th 2005, 11:09 pm
In my own little world!

Nicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond repute

Hello,

thanks for your input!

fabie!
Fabs, you are just SOOO greedy!! I mean, one is enough for most people, you already have two.....and now you're on your third. What you gonna do with them all???????

Nicky (still on her first one)
Old May 8th 2005, 6:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JAJ

However keep up to date on Swiss law as there was a referendum proposal not so long ago that would have banned dual citizenship. I don't believe it was passed, but you should check.

Jeremy

thanks Jeremy for all that!

Nope, the referendum proposal wasn't passed! that I know! Thank God!!!!!!

fabie

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.