Trip to Venice!

Old Nov 17th 2003, 8:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Trip to Venice!

Hi Guys
Can't believe my mum - she's coming over in January (from Greece) and has booked a trip for us to visit Venice over my birthday weekend - just mum, sprog and me. (Hubby and eldest child will have to amuse themselves). This is such a lovely gesture, as she wants to spend time with me before we go to Aus in the next year or two. (Wish my dad would come 'round though!)
Having never been before (and I'm aware it can be a real touristy rip-off), can anyone give me advice on where to go or what to do? We're planning to do some of the touristy must dos, but would like to go off the beaten track.
Any other ideas about what to do before departing to Aus?
Larissa
Feeling very jammy!
Old Nov 17th 2003, 9:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Trip to Venice!

Originally posted by Larissa
Hi Guys
Can't believe my mum - she's coming over in January (from Greece) and has booked a trip for us to visit Venice over my birthday weekend - just mum, sprog and me. (Hubby and eldest child will have to amuse themselves). This is such a lovely gesture, as she wants to spend time with me before we go to Aus in the next year or two. (Wish my dad would come 'round though!)
Having never been before (and I'm aware it can be a real touristy rip-off), can anyone give me advice on where to go or what to do? We're planning to do some of the touristy must dos, but would like to go off the beaten track.
Larissa
Feeling very jammy!
Good luck with your trip. We've only been there once and it was only for half a day. We only 'did' the usual touristy spots - St Mark's square, Bridge of Sighs, Rialto bridge, gondolas etc - so can't give any 'off the beaten track' advice. For goodness sake make sure you have plenty of film in your camera (unless it is digital!) because you'll need it.

I always think of the famous true story from the 1920's. An American salesman was sent by his company to Venice and asked to reports back on contacts, prospects etc. He telegrammed the following (facetiously!!). Arrived in Venice STOP, Streets are flooded STOP, Please advise STOP

OzTennis
Old Nov 17th 2003, 5:05 pm
Forum Regular

Jacko_22 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Larissa
Hi Guys
Larissa
Feeling very jammy!

You will LOVE Venice. I would suggest walking everywhere. Venice itself isn't a huge place, so make sure you take good walking shoes and wander about. Try and avoid St Marks Square (do see it though), as a lot of the shops and cafes are expensive around this area. We wandered through lots of little streets and stumbled across beautiful churches and restaurants. I preferred the area heading towards the train station more as it wasn't as full of tourists. if you fancy something a wee bit different then go to Murano to see glass blowing. There are lots of tour operators that will take you there, but these can be a rip off. Use the main government ferries/boats to get about. You can get tickets lasting an hour and a half (I think) or return which are quite reasonable. And of course you have to do a trip down the Grand Canal. You can just watch the world go by and see the beautiful buildings and gondolas.

I absolutely fell in love with Venice. It is such a unique city and the people were great. I hope you have a wonderful time and don't forget the camera!

Mrs J

Perth May 2004
Old Nov 17th 2003, 6:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Vicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond repute

Absolutely fabulous place. However haven't been there for 10 years so can't remember the specifics. One thing I do recall is don't eat in the main tourist area. Go for a bit of a wander off the beaten track and find some "local" restaurants as the prices and food are much better.
Old Nov 17th 2003, 9:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

BookBear is an unknown quantity at this point

That's very similar to what my mum did before I left for Aussie, she bought my ticket and accommodation for my birthday, and we went a couple of weeks later.

It was so beautiful.

We bought a two day water bus pass, very handy. I'm pretty sure that we used then for the trip we took to Murano, and the cemetary island (had a spooky moment there when we saw a pair of identical twins wearing the same clothes walking through the tombs, a bit "Don't Look Now").

Hope you enjoy it.
Old Nov 18th 2003, 8:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Nara
That's very similar to what my mum did before I left for Aussie, she bought my ticket and accommodation for my birthday, and we went a couple of weeks later.

It was so beautiful.

We bought a two day water bus pass, very handy. I'm pretty sure that we used then for the trip we took to Murano, and the cemetary island (had a spooky moment there when we saw a pair of identical twins wearing the same clothes walking through the tombs, a bit "Don't Look Now").

Hope you enjoy it.
Thanks guys for the advice - I'm really looking forward to it, though hubby is a tad jealous, plus eldest daughter is sad she'll miss my birthday! Must get a decent camera now...
Old Nov 18th 2003, 9:44 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Im making sure I take notes on this ... we are planning to visit Venice when we go back to the UK for a holiday early next year.

Hope you have a fabulous trip Larissa .
Old Nov 18th 2003, 10:52 am
settling in, finally

bawi is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

What a great idea, it will give you nice memories to remember, plus your Mum gets to spend some time with you before you leave.
About Venice: I recommend to really leave the touristy areas behind you as soon as you can, just walk off into the little alleys, should you get lost, look for the arrows on the houses, mostly pointing to 'markus place' (what is it called in english???).
There is so much to see just walking around. You can also get daypasses for the public transport at around € 13, they will allow to use all ferries and also bus, should you want to use one outside of the old city.
Murano is special and make sure you take a public ferry trip through the 'canale grande' to see the famous palazzi, which have entrances straight into the canal. you will easily spend a day just wandering around and see the little churches, little shops.....
Now I can only say 'have fun and enjoy'!!
Barbara