Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Trip to UK - What to do with Optus Mobile?

Trip to UK - What to do with Optus Mobile?

Old Feb 11th 2012, 6:48 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

Location: Brisbane, QLD. (Though an Ulster girl through and through!)
Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Trip to UK - What to do with Optus Mobile?

Silly thread I know, but today I spoke to Optus to try to get a bit more clarity, didn't really help, but anyhoo. I am going to the UK next month for just over 3 weeks, I will probably get a Lebara UK sim, or O2 but just wondering what people have done with their Aussie Mobiles?

Is there a way of diverting calls somehow, so that if somebody leaves an important voicemail, that I can check it without spending a fortune on roaming charges? Or is there the option of voice to text so that if somebody does need to tell me something via voicemail that it converts to a text so I can read it?

So what has everyone else done then?

(Again I know this is an odd one, but the lady I spoke to wasn't very clear as to my options!)

Thanks,

Jen
Old Feb 11th 2012, 8:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Trip to UK - What to do with Optus Mobile?

I always take a second phone, and put my Aussie sim into it. I never answer any calls but make a note of the number and call them back. Ditto with texts if they are from people I want to communicate with. I dont access voicemail unless I absolutely have to and I dont use it for texting back - costs a mint. I have an O2 payg which does the job nicely from UK and I kept it current by sending a text once every 3 months from it (it lived in the old phone in Aus). Reminder, too that when you are in UK if you want to text someone you need to put +61 in front of their mobile number (drop the 0)
Old Feb 11th 2012, 8:27 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quoll
I always take a second phone, and put my Aussie sim into it. I never answer any calls but make a note of the number and call them back. Ditto with texts if they are from people I want to communicate with. I dont access voicemail unless I absolutely have to and I dont use it for texting back - costs a mint. I have an O2 payg which does the job nicely from UK and I kept it current by sending a text once every 3 months from it (it lived in the old phone in Aus). Reminder, too that when you are in UK if you want to text someone you need to put +61 in front of their mobile number (drop the 0)
Cool, thanks Quoll, where r u these days?
Old Feb 11th 2012, 10:05 am
BE Forum Addict

spottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of light

I just change my voicemail message to advise people that I'm out of the country and unable to pick up messages and say to email XXX if an urgent response is needed, could you do this?
Old Feb 11th 2012, 10:46 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

Originally Posted by spottydog
I just change my voicemail message to advise people that I'm out of the country and unable to pick up messages and say to email XXX if an urgent response is needed, could you do this?
Definitely an option yeah...
Old Feb 11th 2012, 11:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spottydog
Yes, I have been known to do that too but usually I forget!!!

Edited to say, now happily back in UK for a while (until the parents pop their clogs!) at least
Old Feb 11th 2012, 12:31 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Like quoll i always have a second phone. I have an Orange sim which is now upgraded to work in my iphone, and i just put the Aus sim in a cheap (old!) mobile while i'm over there. Same when i'm in Aus, my orange sim lives in the cheap mobile so if people do use it i get their messages. My younger niece always texts me on that one, and its also on a few cvs and uk job sites.
Old Feb 11th 2012, 2:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

DC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to behold

I brought my Optus pre-pay mobile over here - missed a few calls from Aus in the first couple of days (nights!) which seemed to gobble up about $30 of credit

I know that seems hard to believe but my advice would be to keep your Aus mobile switched off when not using it in the UK.
Old Feb 11th 2012, 2:35 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DC10
I brought my Optus pre-pay mobile over here - missed a few calls from Aus in the first couple of days (nights!) which seemed to gobble up about $30 of credit

I know that seems hard to believe but my advice would be to keep your Aus mobile switched off when not using it in the UK.
Depends on your Aus plan I think. When I was on pre-paid it used to eat credit if people left messages for me on the answerphone, but now I'm on a contract its a lot cheaper. I don't answer calls though, I figure if its important they'll text me, and I tell work, rental agents etc just that text or email me, don't ring.
Old Feb 11th 2012, 10:12 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

Yeah so change my mobile voicemail to - I am currently overseas in Ireland, please don't leave a message but instead email me at *** or text/call the temporary UK mobile I'm currently using on 0044/+44 bla bla? Yes?

Jen
Old Feb 11th 2012, 11:36 pm
Just Joined

Alisclar is an unknown quantity at this point

Can you get someone to pick up a simcard for you in the uk so that you have a number you can give on the voicemail "before" you leave Oz?
Old Feb 12th 2012, 6:52 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

Originally Posted by Alisclar
Can you get someone to pick up a simcard for you in the uk so that you have a number you can give on the voicemail "before" you leave Oz?
Already thought of that, just wondering, do the phone shops just trim down the simcards these days to put into iPhone 4's or do most networks supply both sizes?

Last edited by Jen1977ni; Feb 12th 2012 at 7:21 am.
Old Feb 12th 2012, 7:45 am
Just Joined

Not all networks supply microsims, but any reputable shop should be able to cut one down for you. When we were over to uk recently we didn't recall seeing microsims for prepaid use, though we had 3GS's when we arrived so didn't concern us and 4S's when we left!

Last edited by Alisclar; Feb 12th 2012 at 7:48 am.
Old Feb 12th 2012, 8:04 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

Originally Posted by Alisclar
Not all networks supply microsims, but any reputable shop should be able to cut one down for you. When we were over to uk recently we didn't recall seeing microsims for prepaid use, though we had 3GS's when we arrived so didn't concern us and 4S's when we left!
Hmmmmmm so the question is this ARE THERE PAY AS YOU GO MICROSIMS THEN?
Old Feb 12th 2012, 8:37 am
Just Joined

I think there will be it's just that we weren't looking for them when we arrived back in uk.
I wouldn't be too bothered to be honest in trying to find a prepay microsim, i'd just find a network you're happy to go with and at a reasonable rate.
When we bought our 4S's a local independant phone shop cut our cards down there and then for nowt using what looks like a stapler. You can buy them off the likes of ebay if you wanted to.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.