Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Trip to the Doctor, couple of questions..

Trip to the Doctor, couple of questions..

Old Jun 5th 2012, 10:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Jilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Trip to the Doctor, couple of questions..

Soundsnabout right. My local GP charges $75 for standard appt. it's the same price for me and my daughter who is 9. If I need to go back for the results of a blood test though it is (apparently) free as they are just giving info x
Old Jun 5th 2012, 12:59 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

I pay $65 for the initial appointment, if there's a follow up for results it's usually bulk billed though that is at the discretion of the individual doctor.
Old Jun 5th 2012, 9:13 pm
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
If you have something very simple, obvious stuff and need a Medical Certificate you can go to the local Pharmacist instead of the doctor.
Oh, I didn't know that! If the other half has a sick day either side of the weekend/public holiday he needs to take a Medical Certificate so it's handy to know he doesn't need to traipse in to see the doctor (who I doubt he'd get to see the same day anyway)
Old Jun 5th 2012, 9:17 pm
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cresta57
I pay $65 for the initial appointment, if there's a follow up for results it's usually bulk billed though that is at the discretion of the individual doctor.
Most of my appointments go through my Diabetes Care Plan so get bulk billed, but in the past, if I've only had to go in for results (so it's been an in and out job) they've just bulk billed it for me.

They did the same for Middlechild when he was having a mole looked at - I think he was only in with the doctor for about 5 minutes (although as he's in Uni he should get a concession card so it would have been bulk billed anyway, but trying to get either of the two eldest near Medicare is almost impossible. It took enough bribery and guilt tripping to get him to the doctor's in the first place)
Old Jun 5th 2012, 10:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

chris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond repute

If you have something very simple, obvious stuff and need a Medical Certificate you can go to the local Pharmacist instead of the doctor.
I think this only applies in Qld as I know they refuse to do it in NSW.
Old Jun 5th 2012, 11:08 pm
Officially Bewildered

Originally Posted by chris and farideh
I think this only applies in Qld as I know they refuse to do it in NSW.
Bummer!

I suppose I can just ask the pharmacist if it is something they do next time I go past.
Old Jun 6th 2012, 4:15 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

It should be nationwide. Workchoices legislation was changed in 2008 to allow various medical practitioners to provide Certificates:

But there's a silver lining to every cloud. The WorkChoices legislation also quietly deregulated the writing of medical certificates. Medical certificates can now be issued by a list of 10 'registered health practitioners', including pharmacists, acupuncturists, chiropractors and traditional Chinese medicine practitioners.http://www.abc.net.au/health/thepuls...14/2162533.htm

If they won't do it ask why because they should be providing the 'illness' is not one that requires a prescription.

More info here.
Old Jun 6th 2012, 4:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

It should be nationwide. Workchoices legislation was changed in 2008 to allow various medical practitioners to provide Certificates:

But there's a silver lining to every cloud. The WorkChoices legislation also quietly deregulated the writing of medical certificates. Medical certificates can now be issued by a list of 10 'registered health practitioners', including pharmacists, acupuncturists, chiropractors and traditional Chinese medicine practitioners.http://www.abc.net.au/health/thepuls...14/2162533.htm

If they won't do it ask why because they should be providing the 'illness' is not one that requires a prescription.

More info here.
Interesting, This is news to the hospital workers I know. They only get stat decs at chemists. Will make sure that this gets discussed and mulled over amongst my Postie and the Wifes nursing colleagues over the next few days. Saves a lot of hassel for a lot of people with the short days off.

Posties generally know all the lurks... not this one though.