Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Trip around Australia

Trip around Australia

Old Apr 19th 2006, 4:13 am
BE Forum Addict

woodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Trip around Australia

In November we are planning to travel light to various parts of OZ not yet visited. I am not big on cities so we are looking at Broome, Cairns, Darwin finishing off with one of the Islands eg Hamilton or Cook Islands..

I would love advise on places to go and stay with 3 kids in tow. I would prefer to keep the budget as low as possible.

Please help as there seems to be many wonderful natural places to see. I have heard about camel riding in Broome. Has anybody done this?
Old Apr 19th 2006, 4:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Trip around Australia

Originally Posted by woodyinoz
In November we are planning to travel light to various parts of OZ not yet visited. I am not big on cities so we are looking at Broome, Cairns, Darwin finishing off with one of the Islands eg Hamilton or Cook Islands..

I would love advise on places to go and stay with 3 kids in tow. I would prefer to keep the budget as low as possible.

Please help as there seems to be many wonderful natural places to see. I have heard about camel riding in Broome. Has anybody done this?

Have done lots of trips to most states of OZ, try www.big4.com.au - caravan parks that have cabins and sites, nearly always clean and good standard, join up and you get cheaper rates.

Check out what to expect climate wise heading up that way in summer, it can be very hot and wet, especially darwin wet season etc.
Old Apr 19th 2006, 4:35 am
BE Forum Addict

woodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Have done lots of trips to most states of OZ, try www.big4.com.au - caravan parks that have cabins and sites, nearly always clean and good standard, join up and you get cheaper rates.

Check out what to expect climate wise heading up that way in summer, it can be very hot and wet, especially darwin wet season etc.
haven't got much choice on when we go unfortunately as it depends on house sale. I was thinking about being brave and backpacking. We are heading off to Hobart and Bangkok after so we need to be very light. Very nervous about backpacking in Thailand with the kids though probably being very silly however.
Old Apr 19th 2006, 4:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

haven't got much choice on when we go unfortunately as it depends on house sale. I was thinking about being brave and backpacking. We are heading off to Hobart and Bangkok after so we need to be very light. Very nervous about backpacking in Thailand with the kids though probably being very silly however.
You can get family rooms in some youth hostels so there must be plenty who do it.

Mine prefer 5***** luxury we went down to bells beach in hols stayed in a crappy motel the kids are still whingin' about it, one reckons he caught bed bugs Backpacking sounds good for the character
Old Apr 19th 2006, 7:59 am
Just Joined

thewilk is just really nicethewilk is just really nicethewilk is just really nicethewilk is just really nicethewilk is just really nicethewilk is just really nicethewilk is just really nicethewilk is just really nice

We went up the top end during November/December 2 years ago and it was killer hot. Sleeping in a camper trailer, no air, fans, nothing. It seems hotter on a night in Broome 'cos the breeze drops right off. Good thing about Broome and the Kimberly at that time of year is the place is empty. We got talking to some old bloke with his dog in a caravan in an overnight rest area, just him and us there in an area the size of 3 footy fields. He said if we had been there 2 months earlier it would have been packed full of Grey Nomads! If your going to see the real Australia, you should look at doing the Gibb River Road from Derby to Kununurra. 4x4 only and about 8 days traveling but well worth it. All the best scenery.
Old Apr 19th 2006, 10:14 am
BE Enthusiast

kimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud of

Hi

We went to Broome about 5yrs ago and are hoping to go back Sept/Oct time, it is great, not a lot to do but we loved it. Didnt do the camel ride along Cable Beach but plenty of others did.

Kim
Old Apr 19th 2006, 12:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by thewilk
We went up the top end during November/December 2 years ago and it was killer hot. Sleeping in a camper trailer, no air, fans, nothing. It seems hotter on a night in Broome 'cos the breeze drops right off. Good thing about Broome and the Kimberly at that time of year is the place is empty. We got talking to some old bloke with his dog in a caravan in an overnight rest area, just him and us there in an area the size of 3 footy fields. He said if we had been there 2 months earlier it would have been packed full of Grey Nomads! If your going to see the real Australia, you should look at doing the Gibb River Road from Derby to Kununurra. 4x4 only and about 8 days traveling but well worth it. All the best scenery.
I have decided to hire a camper from Melbourne and drive all the way around to Brisbane... I have allowed 3 weeks. I hope that this will give us plenty of time for the kids to get out and stretch. We are going to do the bush camping :scared: hopefully it will be an experience that we won't forget. Least we have a period in the Cook Islands to recover.
Are there many overnight rest area's? and where will I find out about them? I have also read that there is free camping at some national parks - do you of a book that lists them?

Oh Australia is a big place ain't it
Old Apr 19th 2006, 12:56 pm
Forum Regular

Mr Pants is on a distinguished road

I have decided to hire a camper from Melbourne and drive all the way around to Brisbane... I have allowed 3 weeks. I hope that this will give us plenty of time for the kids to get out and stretch. We are going to do the bush camping :scared: hopefully it will be an experience that we won't forget. Least we have a period in the Cook Islands to recover.
Are there many overnight rest area's? and where will I find out about them? I have also read that there is free camping at some national parks - do you of a book that lists them?

Oh Australia is a big place ain't it
Start in Adelaide, a great trip from there to Melbourne including the Great Ocean Rd, will only add 3-4 days overall, or you can speed up a bit and still do the entire trip in your time frame.
Old Apr 19th 2006, 1:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Mr Pants
Start in Adelaide, a great trip from there to Melbourne including the Great Ocean Rd, will only add 3-4 days overall, or you can speed up a bit and still do the entire trip in your time frame.
Have to say that after 3 years living in Melb I have done the GOR to death and I found Adelaide a bit boring... I thought about taking the kids to the Grampians as they never made it last year with all the fires. I have never gone further than Adelaide so I am happy to hear about places over that way. We much prefer the natural things though.
Old Apr 19th 2006, 2:18 pm
Forum Regular

pen8uin is just really nicepen8uin is just really nicepen8uin is just really nicepen8uin is just really nicepen8uin is just really nicepen8uin is just really nicepen8uin is just really nicepen8uin is just really nicepen8uin is just really nicepen8uin is just really nicepen8uin is just really nice

Thailand - I travelled as a single female backpacker and found it to be safe. The thais love children and I met plenty of people travelling with kids, especially around the islands.
Old Apr 19th 2006, 2:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

kevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pen8uin
Thailand - I travelled as a single female backpacker and found it to be safe. The thais love children and I met plenty of people travelling with kids, especially around the islands.
Agree with this, Thailand is a very safe place and like pen8uin said they love kids. We went a few years back, our son has blonde hair and every where we went the locals made a fuss of him.

If in Bangkok you should go to Khao San Road, there is a guest house called Chais House which is really nice and clean. The cost is about $10 per night!!
Old Apr 19th 2006, 3:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

suzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond repute

Have you tried looking at the lonely planet 'on a shoestring' range? We have well thumbed copies of both the Aus/NZ and USA/Canada ones and I can recommend them highly. I think they have a SE Asia one as well. If you don't want to buy one they might have one in your local library, I think I got one from our library in Reading before buying any in the first place.

Hope you have a great time - it sounds like fantastic fun!
Old Apr 20th 2006, 12:19 am
Forum Regular

stubbyholder is just really nicestubbyholder is just really nicestubbyholder is just really nicestubbyholder is just really nicestubbyholder is just really nicestubbyholder is just really nicestubbyholder is just really nicestubbyholder is just really nicestubbyholder is just really nicestubbyholder is just really nicestubbyholder is just really nice

Hi -try these out they may help-got them saved in "my favorites" for when we get there.

http://www.goseeaustralia.net/default.asp
http://www.caravanparks.freeservers.com
http://www.camping.com.au

S
Old Apr 20th 2006, 12:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Vicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond repute

Rather than stay on Hamilton Island which will cost you a fortune you could stay a lot cheaper at Airlie Beach which is only a ferry ride away from Hamilton. There are plenty of apts. you could just turn up and rent on the day right along the water front.