Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Trickle water on acreage

Trickle water on acreage

Old Mar 15th 2005, 11:05 pm
Banned

Fuzzy Duck has a brilliant futureFuzzy Duck has a brilliant futureFuzzy Duck has a brilliant futureFuzzy Duck has a brilliant futureFuzzy Duck has a brilliant futureFuzzy Duck has a brilliant futureFuzzy Duck has a brilliant future
Default Trickle water on acreage

We are looking at a few acreage properties out west of Brisbane and have come across a few that have "Trickle Water" rather that Town Water. What does this mean?

I have an image in my head of the kids at the tap trying to fill a glass of Water and having to wait for the drip drip drip of the tap. Tell me it is'nt so :scared:
Old Mar 16th 2005, 2:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Billabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really nice
Default Re: Trickle water on acreage

The people I know on acreage without town water have big tanks that fill up from rainwater and then the water is pumped to the house - at more than a trickle though
Old Mar 16th 2005, 3:04 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Trickle feed is town water (so no tanks & it doesnt run dry), but it doesnt have the full pressure of town water.

So better than just tanks but not as good as town water.

Simplified, but its an answer .
Old Mar 16th 2005, 7:51 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fuzzy Duck
We are looking at a few acreage properties out west of Brisbane and have come across a few that have "Trickle Water" rather that Town Water. What does this mean?

I have an image in my head of the kids at the tap trying to fill a glass of Water and having to wait for the drip drip drip of the tap. Tell me it is'nt so :scared:
Mrs D is almost correct in her simplified version.
Trickle feed means [in most cases] you still utilise the water you collect from your roof and store in a tank [tank water] however the developer puts in a small bore pipe to the whole estate connected to the reticulated supply [town water] the low pressure trickle feed is connected to your tank via a ball valve, similar to the one used in flushing lavatories the world over. The ball valve is approx 18" above the base of the tank so in theory you should always have 18" of water in your tank in case of a prolonged dry spell. You may be required to fit a fire hydrant connection to your tank by the local council as the low pressure feed itself will not support std hydrants. The idea means that while you still make full use of the rainwater you won't run out completely. The developer also saves as he doesn't have to put in a large bore mains water to the estate.
Quite environmentally friendly really.
Old Mar 16th 2005, 8:29 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cresta57
Mrs D is almost correct in her simplified version.
Trickle feed means [in most cases] you still utilise the water you collect from your roof and store in a tank [tank water] however the developer puts in a small bore pipe to the whole estate connected to the reticulated supply [town water] the low pressure trickle feed is connected to your tank via a ball valve, similar to the one used in flushing lavatories the world over. The ball valve is approx 18" above the base of the tank so in theory you should always have 18" of water in your tank in case of a prolonged dry spell. You may be required to fit a fire hydrant connection to your tank by the local council as the low pressure feed itself will not support std hydrants. The idea means that while you still make full use of the rainwater you won't run out completely. The developer also saves as he doesn't have to put in a large bore mains water to the estate.
Quite environmentally friendly really.
Cresta, do they usually store the water underground? I was always under the impression that the water storage was underground tanks, which is what I meant by no tanks (ie no tanks on the side of the house). Anyway, I was pretty close .

I only had a sketchy idea of what was involved, didnt know that the feed wouldnt support hydrants .

Last edited by MrsDagboy; Mar 16th 2005 at 8:54 am. Reason: typo