Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Tri-Citizenship...

Tri-Citizenship...

Old Jul 31st 2006, 3:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Tri-Citizenship...

I've heard of some people having Tri-Citizenship. I just wondered how many people of these boards had this seemingly beneficial access to 3 different nations and ways of life. How they came to get it, and is it a goal worth aiming for. Or does it just add to confusion in ones life ?

Also is there such a person as a quad citizen ?
Old Jul 31st 2006, 4:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Teliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tri-Citizenship...

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
I've heard of some people having Tri-Citizenship. I just wondered how many people of these boards had this seemingly beneficial access to 3 different nations and ways of life. How they came to get it, and is it a goal worth aiming for. Or does it just add to confusion in ones life ?

My best friend used to have tri-citizenship (Bermuda, UK and USA) but I believe she had to give one up on her 18th birthday. I think this was because Bermuda only allows you to have 2 citizenships at one time or something. I'm a bit foggy on the details it has been along time since we spoke about it
Old Jul 31st 2006, 5:19 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

When I get Aussie citizenship next year I will have three along with UK & South Africa. As far as I am aware (but stand corrected if wrong) the Australian government allows this.
Old Jul 31st 2006, 7:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
When I get Aussie citizenship next year I will have three along with UK & South Africa. As far as I am aware (but stand corrected if wrong) the Australian government allows this.
Yes I'm fairly certain that it does, Does having SA citizenship give you any advantage in other African countries, over the British or Aussie passport ?
Old Jul 31st 2006, 7:50 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I'm fairly certain that it does, Does having SA citizenship give you any advantage in other African countries, over the British or Aussie passport ?
None that I know of, maybe the right to live in Namibia, which is a great place but not exactly the best place to try & make a living! I maintain the SA citizenship as it means a lot to me & might be useful in the future if I ever want to do business there or buy more property there. The government there is making sounds about restricting foreign ownership of property.
Old Jul 31st 2006, 8:12 am
Ping Pong Wannabe

banjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud of

just a thought Amazulu....have you set in motion getting permission from SA to obtain Australian citizenship? If not you will lose it. I thought it would take a couple of weeks to process, but when I enquired it was taking upwards of 9 months! Needless to say I lost it.
Old Jul 31st 2006, 8:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Luma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond repute

From my understanding more than dual is called plural citizenship.

See post #4 by JAJ
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=338326

I've got Italian and South African passports. I'm entitled to British but as I already had an EU passport didn't get one. Although, now I've realised that I only have 6 months of reciprocal Medicare on my Italian passport whereas they rest of my family are covered until we apply for our permanent visa.

And we'll all hopefully have Aussie passports once we've been here the required number of years.

I hold on to my South African passport as we have to have one to visit South Africa as by law we are South Africans when we're visiting. (A fairly new policy by the government).

Last edited by Luma; Jul 31st 2006 at 8:21 am.
Old Jul 31st 2006, 8:20 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm a citizen of the world, so I'm a citizen of about 200 countries.

However not all of the governments of those countries agree with me.

Old Jul 31st 2006, 8:24 am
?????????

paulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of light

Will you not be affected by the new "Conferal" laws?
It might mean you have another year to wait
http://www.citizenship.gov.au/law-an...w/conferal.htm

I know everyone on here says they dont know when this will be introduced, BUT it seems Jan 2007 has been penciled in.
Old Jul 31st 2006, 11:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Downies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Tri-Citizenship...

Originally Posted by paulf
Will you not be affected by the new "Conferal" laws?
It might mean you have another year to wait
http://www.citizenship.gov.au/law-an...w/conferal.htm

I know everyone on here says they dont know when this will be introduced, BUT it seems Jan 2007 has been penciled in.

Being of Norwegian Decent and having been educated (mostly) in Norway, born in the UK and hold full english passport, OH and me applying for PR 136 MODL oz visa - so could technically with a lot of paperwork become a Tri/Plural citizen in the future!

Wey Hey!

Paula
Old Jul 31st 2006, 11:50 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Teliko21
My best friend used to have tri-citizenship (Bermuda, UK and USA) but I believe she had to give one up on her 18th birthday. I think this was because Bermuda only allows you to have 2 citizenships at one time or something. I'm a bit foggy on the details it has been along time since we spoke about it

Bermuda is a British Overseas Territory, not a country - so there's technically no such thing as Bermuda "citizenship" (there is 'belonger status').

Both UK and US allow dual citizenship.
Old Jul 31st 2006, 12:32 pm
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute

I've got Irish & UK citizenship from my parents.
It used to be more useful when there wasnt the EU. It was also useful with eastern block countries in the 80s as well because visas were easier. Similarly with certain other countries having an Irish passport can be "Easier". With the UK ever likely to pull out of Europe, the Irish passport could become handy again. Oh, and Ireland is like Switzerland in that it is officially at least neutral.
If (when!) I get Australian citizenship then that'll make 3, I guess.
Old Aug 1st 2006, 1:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Aussie by birth,

British by ancestry/residence/citizenship,

Multiple visitor to US to British-based bloke who is eligible for green card....

Plural is on the cards (longterm that is!)
Old Aug 1st 2006, 1:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
Aussie by birth,

British by ancestry/residence/citizenship,

Multiple visitor to US to British-based bloke who is eligible for green card....

Plural is on the cards (longterm that is!)
The only way you could up that.... would be to get chinese citizienship or something

Would Having that kind of choice in living, make one even more depressed when things go bad. Bit like the bloke that owns a ferrari at a disco that cannot get a pull ?

Err dont know why I said that lol

With that kind of choice, does it make life easier or harder ?
Old Aug 1st 2006, 1:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Would Having that kind of choice in living, make one even more depressed when things go bad. Bit like the bloke that owns a ferrari at a disco that cannot get a pull ?

Err dont know why I said that lol

With that kind of choice, does it make life easier or harder ?
It's true.....I used to want lots of choices, believing "the world is my oyster".....however I find that the more choices I have, the more decisions there are that need to be made!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.